Team Australia Thread

Sir Rols

Also worth mentioning that Australia only has 21 million people so to be even in the top 6 on the medal table is a bloody good effort. As for the Brits getting more medals I can live with it for a few Olympics wasn’t so long ago they (Atlanta 1996) they could only scrape together 1 gold and they are spending big money on having a good 2012 games.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

population isn't everything. GDP, climate etc are the more telling factors.

ie; climate infuences Canada's medal tallies while GDP/capita means India does poorly.

Countries like the US, Japan, Germany, UK etc are the countries with the trifectta of climate, GDP and population. And presto. Top of the medals.

but the Aussie swim team is fading. In terms of age and what can be expected in the future.

The women won 6 gold medals, the men won zero.

I really don't see it as fading.

Of course the women are stronger at the moment. And good on them _ there's nothing lesser in their achievement because they're women. And we had three individual medallists and two relay wins from them (and medalled in a third relay) _ that's the mark of depth.

The men also medalled in every relay (this was the first time Australia medalled in every relay). And that included some strong results from our younger men swimmers.

All-up, our medal tally (20) was our biggest ever for an Olympic swim met. Only in Gold was it we fell one short of Athens and two from Melbourne 56. Still ahead in Gold from Sydney, though.

We'll go through lean periods in the future, of course. But I don't see that as imminent. Swimming, naturally, will still anchor our results in London.

Edited by Sir Roltel

That was a real heartbreaker for the Aussie Spirit team softballers last night - 4:3 but it took 12 innings and was tense and tight every minute of the way. I can't remember when a four hour softball match was actually broadcast in full in Oz in prime time. Oh well, bronze. Still a great achievement girls.

And the Boomers went down to the USA Dream Team 116:85 _ but who really expected anything else anyway?

And the Boomers went down to the USA Dream Team 116:85 _ but who really expected anything else anyway?

Not that we were going to win anyway....but the umpiring was dispicable and the attitude of Wade and LeBron soured a good USA victory.

Not that we were going to win anyway....but the umpiring was dispicable and the attitude of Wade and LeBron soured a good USA victory.

The attitudes of Wade and Lebron?! It was the Aussies that were trying to ruffle the Americans to no avail! :blink:

And you can complain about umpiring, but it was hardly a factor in the game.

The attitudes of Wade and Lebron?! It was the Aussies that were trying to ruffle the Americans to no avail! :blink:

And you can complain about umpiring, but it was hardly a factor in the game.

Wade failed to block a shot so he put his hist into the Australians (Mills i think it was) crotch. Ansty went up to block a shot; got ball but quite a lot of arm then Lebron and Wade came up and tried to start something.

In referce to the umpiring. In the most part it was good. Just a lot of baskets counted following fouls that shouldn't have been given (the two points that is, the fouls were there, the baskets were late). Probably equated to 10 or so extra points.

The played pretty dirty in the 2nd quater. I dont think they liked how easily Mills was scoring in the first.

Edited by Aronious

Wade failed to block a shot so he put his hist into the Australians (Mills i think it was) crotch. Ansty went up to block a shot; got ball but quite a lot of arm then Lebron and Wade came up and tried to start something.

In referce to the umpiring. In the most part it was good. Just a lot of baskets counted following fouls that shouldn't have been given (the two points that is, the fouls were there, the baskets were late). Probably equated to 10 or so extra points.

The played pretty dirty in the 2nd quater. I dont think they liked how easily Mills was scoring in the first.

The crotch shot was clearly unintentional. And how do you know Lebron and Wade said something first?

Playing dirty is stretching it quite a bit. The refs were letting both teams play physically, and aside from a couple of skirmishes, nothing too explosive.

I think Australia is doing very well :) We really aren't a large country population wise, so to be right up there on medal tally is a good achievement imo :)

Glad to hear from you Vol! I was hoping you'd drop in. Hope you're enjoying the games.

It just goes to show the high expectations we have for the Aussie team that what we've achieved is a slight disapointment. It's still our second best games overseas.

Nice for Jarrod Tallent picked up the silver in the 50km walk to go with bronze in the 20km. That makes him the first male aussie in athletics to pick up more than a single medal in the games for 108 years (well, our callers are saying 102 years, counting the 1906 intercalated, or whatever they're called, games).

Gotta say, though, the walk course was dull _ up and down the Olympic green outside the Bird's Nest. Watching walks is boring at the best of times. This was snore material. Thank god for BMX to fill in some action while that walk was going on.

Hey Roltel :)

I'm not disapointed in the Aussie team at all! I think they are doing very well and considering the competition we are up against, there is nothing to be disapointed in :)

Speaking of track silver, it's a few days too late, but I just realised none of us Aussie's has made mention of Sally McLellan's hurdles silver. What a race! And what a highlight her post-race trackside interview was! That girl was just so pumped, so excited and so natural ...

"I saw Lolo passing me and just thought "****!',"

Speaking of track silver, it's a few days too late, but I just realised none of us Aussie's has made mention of Sally McLellan's hurdles silver. What a race! And what a highlight her post-race trackside interview was! That girl was just so pumped, so excited and so natural ...

"I saw Lolo passing me and just thought "****!',"

That was so funny, she had no idea what was going on and couldn't believe she'd won Silver. Her interview was great :lol:

I think some of our silver medals have been our best performances. Anna Meares after being in a neck brack and wheelchair about 8 months ago our walker Jared Tallent silver in his 3rd ever 50km event and bronze in 20km and Sally McLellan where did that come from?

Wow _ the pole vault was unxpected. I didn't even bother staying up to watch that _ only found out this morning. Amazing!

I think that must make this our most successful track and field showing since Sydney _ one Gold, two silver and whatever many bronze it was. Sydmey was about the same I think (Cathy Freeman, Grigorieva and jumping Jai Taurima).