Gymnastics

Sir Rols

Yeah, that judging was shady, but still, it's no surprise that we went 1 and 2.

Kind of harsh if not pointless to say this on my part, but I wonder why Nastia wasn't in one single NBC promo (that I can remember at least), but Shawn was like in every single one.

She did have a promo but NBC was probably promoting Johnson more since she was the '07 World All-Around Champion.

It was strange judging but the outcome is about what I expected (although thought Johnson would be the gold medalist)

Great showing!

Mary Lou, of course, is gushing all over t.v. this morning. :lol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just re-watched this. What an amazing performance by Nastia. Mary Lou was all over the place with her and Shaun. So cool.

Interesting.... how old do you think that little boy with Yao Ming in the Opening ceremony is?

To some who judge the Chinese Gymast as underage, they might think he looks like 4-5.... he is 8 years old now. I don't want to bring in this racial issue, but caucasian (and especially those in American women with a diet full of growth hormones), just age much faster... that Alicia Sacranome.... her look on TV can easily come across as late 20's in Asia, when she is only 20. (and on Scarlet Johanasen.... she looks like 30 when she was only 19, and this Cameron Diaz age like 10 years in a few years' time..lol)

China has 1.3 bllion, say 1%is 26 years' old, that's 1.3 Milliion to pick from... and out this, if nly 1% go developed like a little girl... tha tis 13,000 to choose from. Don't be so sour losers... if you look at the Yahoo Blogs... it's amazing how arrogant some of these posters are, thoguh I am sure it might stand for a tiny portion of the population.

Interesting.... how old do you think that little boy with Yao Ming in the Opening ceremony is?

To some who judge the Chinese Gymast as underage, they might think he looks like 4-5.... he is 8 years old now. I don't want to bring in this racial issue, but caucasian (and especially those in American women with a diet full of growth hormones), just age much faster... that Alicia Sacranome.... her look on TV can easily come across as late 20's in Asia, when she is only 20. (and on Scarlet Johanasen.... she looks like 30 when she was only 19, and this Cameron Diaz age like 10 years in a few years' time..lol)

China has 1.3 bllion, say 1%is 26 years' old, that's 1.3 Milliion to pick from... and out this, if nly 1% go developed like a little girl... tha tis 13,000 to choose from. Don't be so sour losers... if you look at the Yahoo Blogs... it's amazing how arrogant some of these posters are, thoguh I am sure it might stand for a tiny portion of the population.

I thought the little boy was about 10. And what a cutie he was. :) That was one of the few times I have had paternal instincts.

The gymnast who looked like she still had her baby teeth I dunno - 13 maybe?.

In 1976, Shirley Babashoff, one of the great US Women Swimmers was called "Surly Shirley" because she thought something just wasn't right with the East German women swimmers after she won silver in Montreal.

25 years later she has been proven right.

Moving on - Individual starts Sunday

Edited by LA84

Louis Smith wins bronze in the men's pommel horse event to hand Britain our first men's individual Olympics gymnastics medal in 100 years - and I miss it because I had to meet my parents for lunch! :angry:

Louis Smith wins bronze in the men's pommel horse event to hand Britain our first men's individual Olympics gymnastics medal in 100 years - and I miss it because I had to meet my parents for lunch! :angry:

And it was so nearly Silver.

After last night and now this, a tiebreaker, I'm thoroughly convinced the judging has been rigged against the Americans.

This is by far the worst display of judging since the 1980 Olympics when the judges were heavily pro-Soviet.

I think the worst part is that the "computer program" isn't transparent! What a hoax! They both should get the medal!!

Do you really think China was going to let the world champs come into their backyard and allow them to show up the home crowd favorites?

As I've said before, no way these Chinese gymnasts are of age either.

Not sure if it's that bad, but it does appear that it could have affected Nasty Looking er Nastia Liukin out of a Gold medal in the Un-Even bars. She'll end with the Silver it appears.

And on a side note - 3 Silvers for Shawn Johnson. The girl must be so frustrated.

*Btw, I don't think Liukin's unattractive ; )

*Btw, I don't think Liukin's unattractive ; )

Really? I think she has that sinister Soviet look about her.

About the scoring - well, I always thought Bejing would be payback for the Paul Hamm debacle and the forced changing of scoring. Same as we will not see another Canadian Figure Skating Pairs Team win a gold for a long, long time. But I dunno - Liukin won the All-Around so I'll just leave it that the ladies match was interesting to say the least.

25 years from now, we should start getting admissions about the underaged Chinese gymnasts and all will be good. Shirley Babashoff must be laughing her ass off right now.

She'd be really beautiful _ if she would ever crack it for a smile that looked sincere.

She was definitely robbed though!

I'm really trying not having sour grapes and being an ugly American here!

And if someone says "Too Late" I WILL bitch slap you. :lol:

And yes - she smiled once and is quite fetching.

BTW - I remember her father. He was HOT in '88.

Edited by LA84

Last night was even worse with the Chinese gymnast falling on the vault and still coming away with a medal.

I forgot who on NBC said it but that whole Fei/Sacramone situation was about reputation, apperantly.

Really? I think she has that sinister Soviet look about her.

Well, I don't think she's quite gorgous either. But ugly, no she is not.

Last night was even worse with the Chinese gymnast falling on the vault and still coming away with a medal.

that's because she had the most difficult 2 jumps, i.e. a much higher point to start with (both 7.7), and she nailed the first one, which got her 16+, and she knelt on the second one, which got her only 15 but the average is still much higher than those who nailed the average difficult jumps which start at 6.5, which is almost 1 whole point lower there Fei's.

As for the tiebreaker, the Chinese did not invent the rules by the International Gymastics Federation that said if there is a tiebreaker, whichever program is more difficult would win. This rule was set 2 years ago. They are not invented for Chinese to cheat. The same thing happened in the men's vault.... how come no americans say anything about that?