Gymnastics

Sir Rols

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything I've heard said its US vs China for gold and everyone else is playing for 3rd.

That's what I have heard as well. Although if they perform like they did for the qualifying round, China will probably get it.

I'm watching the medal ceremony now. There is no way that some of these girls are over 16. I don't understand how the Gymnastics authorities can allow this. It's obvious their passports were forged.

how can anyone be expected to win fairly against a team that cheats so blatantly? it's ridiculous how everyone's willing to turn a blind eye to china these games.

they're slowly starting to sour the mood.

I think the Chinese gymnasts were of legal age. Like Baron said, Asian genes age more slowly (and gracefully) than the others. For example, I'm already 23 but people still think I'm younger than 20. ;)

The Wikipedia entries of most of the Chinese gymnasts now have 'disputed' beside the date of birth entry. If Karolyi didn't go hysterical about it, would others have noticed it?

In the end, it was about performance. China clearly did better than the USA team. And if it was indeed true that some of the Chinese gymnasts were below the age requirement, then their superb performance becomes even more laudable.

Here's an interesting op-ed on this 'perennial problem': http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/g...o&type=lgns