The German Team At The Beijing Olympics

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the desastrous performance of the German swimmer in Beijng (except Britta Steffen) got the DSV (German Swimming Association) a new sport director: Lutz Buschkow (the federal coach of the Divers)

I hope he will be able until London to change a lot!

I have certain doubts about that. Not the person of the DSV sport director is the problem, but the individual coaches of the swimmers who show no interest in subordinating under the sport director's rule and thus losing power. If already the ambitioned Örjan Madsen failed in breaking the individual coaches' autonomy, I'm not too sure whether Lutz Buschkow will perform better. I think that the job as DSV sport director is an ejection seat.

I have certain doubts about that. Not the person of the DSV sport director is the problem, but the individual coaches of the swimmers who show no interest in subordinating under the sport director's rule and thus losing power. If already the ambitioned Örjan Madsen failed in breaking the individual coaches' autonomy, I'm not too sure whether Lutz Buschkow will perform better. I think that the job as DSV sport director is an ejection seat.

Maybe you are right, Olympian2004, but we should keep in mind that the pressure of the "dis-success" has increase and will increase, if nothing changes...

Hey guys ... let's just cheer for that second gold medal for Britta Steffen :) !!

I am more dissapointed about our rowing results ... this morning we just won a single bronze medal with Great Britain, Poland, Denmark and Canada doing a way better job in their boats winning a bunch of medals !

Moreover, the British success continues - they've just overtaken us by gold now ... thanks to their outstanding rowing and cycling performances !! Congrats to Britain ... but we'll finally get them again, right ;) ?!

Uahhh, these Olympics are really sleep taking ... going to get a coffee now .... after all the exciting rowing finals I feel a lack of sleep in my bones now <_<

Maybe you are right, Olympian2004, but we should keep in mind that the pressure of the "dis-success" has increase and will increase, if nothing changes...

Yes, but the pressure was already intense after the bad performances in Sydney and Athens. Afterwards, it was always promised that they would reform the system and deliver better results at the next Games. So after having been disappointed twice, I'm not too convinced of whether they've really heard the "bang" now.

I am more dissapointed about our rowing results ...

I agree, the rowing results of the Germans are a "disaster"...

I think the German federations of rowing, swimming and athletics should think about their approaches - and that very soon!!!

When I am in London I do want to see another result!

;)

A coffee at 12:00 o'clock? I will drink one later and eat some cake...

Yes, this was my morning coffee ;) ... here in Hanover the Maschseefest / Lake Masch Festival is finally over today, so I went there last night and got up at 9:00 to see rowing ... didn't want to leave the TV for a coffee, so I went into the kitchen afterwards :lol:

I agree, the rowing results of the Germans are a "disaster"... I think the German federations of rowing, swimming and athletics should think about their approaches - and that very soon!!!

Yeah ... seems that Germany discovers new sports to finally combine to that amount of medals ... such as judo, shooting, ... so does China, but somehow with way more success :(

lol, no longer do we dominate the events that we did in past.

britain and italy could overtake us this year as top euro nation :( madness

well - it seems that we rest on our laurels - especially in

- athletics

- aquatics (swimming)

- rowing

- track cycling

And at the same time the other nations didn't miss the development...

well - it seems that we rest on our laurels - especially in

- athletics

- aquatics (swimming)

- rowing

- track cycling

And at the same time the other nations didn't miss the development...

Absolutely right ... so let's hope that another of our "traditions" will still bring some success for us ... starting tomorrow - canoeing !

You`re right. I preddict we will take at least 5 Gold medals in the Canoe/Kayaking on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully Dittmer can get 2.

Dittmer's gonna get flattened by a Canadian (hopefully). In the 16 canoe/kayaking events, Germany is predicted to win 12 medals and 4 gold.

Meanwhile, another traditional German stronghold is shattered:

After the first round of the equestrian team jumping event, the German team is ranked only 8th, which makes it almost impossible for them to win a medal. SI originally expected them to win gold -- and so did I.

Somehow I've got the feeling that the German misfortune of the first three days of these Games returns...

And I'm not too certain either about the German medal sweep which everyone expects for the canoe/kayak flatwater races.

I know very little about the Canoeing and Kayaking events. Could somebody tell me who are the top nations in this event? I would have thought that Germany would definitely be there considering the medal target.

Under normal conditions, Germany would probably be one of the top-medalling countries in the canoe/kayak events indeed. But Team Germany already experienced so many surprises (positive and negative ones) at these Games, that I wouldn't take the "laws of nature" for granted.

Regarding the results of the 2004 Olympics and the 2007 World Championships, however, Hungary is the other top country in that sport:

Wikipedia - Canoeing at the 2004 Summer Olympics

Wikipedia - 2007 ICF Flatwater Racing World Championships

Thanks Olympian, from those links it certainly suggests that Hungary and Germany will dominate.

In relation to the surprises that team Germany has experienced these games - Could it be that Germany has fallen foul of the Chinese teams success? After all, with China doing so much better than it has ever done - some countries will certainly be suffering as a result.

Lee, I don't think that Germany is one of the victims of the Chinese success at these Games. I don't remember just one medal that German athletes have missed because a Chinese athlete snatched it away. But it's not a good time to ask such a question anyway. I'm pretty shocked right now about how the day went for the German team.

It was one of the most disappointing days for Team Germany at these Games. The men's table tennis team's silver medal is the only medal won by German athletes today.

Meanwhile, the equestrian jumping team (actually a clear gold favourite) has ranked only 5th after an embarrassing performance especially yesterday, the men's handball and men's water polo teams have been eliminated, the women's football team will miss the Olympic final for the third time in a row after a humbling defeat against Brazil and also the last German beach volleyball pair, David Klemperer and Erik Koreng have been eliminated.

Tomorrow, we have to fear yet another setback when Fabian Hambüchen will compete in his actually strongest discipline, the horizontal bar, where he already slipped off in the team and invidiual all-around finals.

At least we can hope for a medal in the individual dressage final with Isabell Werth and her magnificent horse Satchmo. There's also a tiny hope that Raul Spank (don't laugh ;)) will win a medal in the men's high jump, after having ranked fifth in the qualification.

You really couldn't have expected a medal in team show jumping, the German team has performed badly since the beginning and today was actually their best day.

I think Germany should win 8 to 10 medals in the canoe/kayaking. I know Canada's goal is 4 (k1500, 100 and c1500,1000)

The men's handball result is shocking, they are the world champions.

Edited by Faster

I know. But it was shocking nevertheless to see that humbling result finalised.

Yea, I fully expected the Germans to win gold, but given that Germany won 3 gold that they weren't expected to, I guess its just things balancing out. Plus tomorrow should be alright. But I don't expect Germany to break 40 medals now unfortunately. I just can't see 17 or more medals for Germany from Tuesday through Sunday.

I guess goethe's pessimism was warranted. But 5 more gold medals is not unheard of.

Well, despite some serious disappointments, I wouldn't call these Games really "bad" from a German perspective. Especially not with the two following surprise winners:

{8B735241-6EB6-42CB-8C70-197DF22873F5}Picture.jpg

Olympic Champion

Jan Frodeno, Triathlon

{72560E98-7576-4EAB-93AF-30B47008C5B6}Picture.jpg

Olympic Champion

Matthias Steiner, Weightlifting