The German Team At The Beijing Olympics

@ Sir Roltel

Yes, Russia will have troubles with being third this year ... I guess this might be due to Russia and China are traditionally strong in the same sports, with China as host being way better prepared for all the events ... gymnastics, diving, weightlifting, ... but still Russia has a lot of events to come where gold medals might be won by them ... all the single gymnastics events have to be held yet, rhythmical gymnastics, syncho swimming, athletics, wrestling, ... I guess they will be one of the most successful teams here, though the gap between CHN, USA and RUS might grow.

Back to Germany : I guess our rowers will be a desaster this year, tough I am glad to see our fencing has come back to a top world level :) ! Anyway, Germany traditionally is one of the most balanced nations at the Olympics with an amount of sports where we are strong enough to win medals ... swimming, athletics and rowing might be the three sports here in Beijing where Germany is not what it used to be back in time :mellow:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to Germany : I guess our rowers will be a desaster this year, tough I am glad to see our fencing has come back to a top world level :) ! Anyway, Germany traditionally is one of the most balanced nations at the Olympics with an amount of sports where we are strong enough to win medals ... swimming, athletics and rowing might be the three sports here in Beijing where Germany is not what it used to be back in time :mellow:

@Phil1981

First of all - WELCOME TO GAMESBIDS!!

It is great to have another German here on the boards!

I have to say that I am astonished and dissapointed at the same time how Germany "miss the boat" to the other leading sport nations in these traditional sports - especially swimming and athletics...

@ Citius Altius Fortius

Thanks for the welcoming :)

You are right, I wonder whether all our German success in Swimming and Athletics still came from the former GDR "production" ?! But in rowing I guess we have lots of successful nations presently, so the competition is harder ... rowing is a medaling sport for Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Netherlands, the USA, Romania, Italy, China, Great Britain, Italy, .... so many tough opponents ... that's probably why Germany is not the outstanding rowing nation any more - too many nations share the podium nowadays.

Anyway, still us Germans will finish among the top 8 ... probably we can pass Russia this time, but they've a lot of gold events to come ... I am surprised of South Korea being really strong again this year !

By the way ... how many Germans are on the board here ?!

Welcome to the board also from me.

Well, besides CAF and me, we have the Germans Goethe, Kaufy, Zenica (who can't be taken seriously, though -- she or he makes a lot of nonsense postings here), Ahmet and AmaniS here. I hope I didn't forget anyone. ;)

Thanks, Olympian2004 !

Damn, really a pity for Fabian ... now that we have a good world class gymnast ... long, long after Andreas Wecker ... he falls from the horizontal bar, which usually is his best discipline ... well, still there are the single events to come in gymnastics !!

ohh wow - I had awaked at 05:16 a.m. and took my bedding and lay on the sofa - just in time to see the medal ceremony for Britta Steffen - that was my first medal ceremony, which I could see live!

And I loved to see that Natalie Coughlin, Lisbeth Trickett and Britta Stefffen enjoyed it together very much!!

Oh damn, why are those important events in the middle of the night (CET)? Thanks again, NBC -- for nothing! :angry:

However, these are maybe the greatest news for Germany so far at these Olympic Games. After Steffen had only the sixth-best time in the semi-finals yesterday, I truly feared that she could miss a medal, too. And now she's Olympic Champion! What a surprise!

And for keeping the tradition alive:

Olympic Champion

{571D9E22-84AD-48B0-9DF7-B2485E4FE043}Picture.jpg

8 gold medals already, Germany only won 14 at Athens, goethe it looks like SI was more on the mark for now.

In fact, SI is already lagging behind with its prediction. For this moment in time, SI predicted only three gold medals for Germany. And each of those predictions was wrong, by the way. Neither Peter Joppich (fencing) nor Judith Arndt (road cycling) nor Sonja Pfeilschifter (gold) won a medal, although they were even picked for gold by SI.

At the same time, SI didn't have gold medallists Ole Bischof (judo), the eventing team and Hinrich Romeike (equestrian), Benjamin Kleibrink (fencing) at all on its list.

And they also picked the wrong medal colour for gold medallists Alexander Grimm (canoe/kayak slalom), Britta Heidemann (fencing), the dressage team (equestrian) and Britta Steffen (swimming) -- each of those athletes were originally picked for silver.

I'll make a complete "balance sheet" of SI's medal picks for Germany after the Games. But so far, their medal picks really suck big time!

CAF, since you don't seem to have seen Britta Steffen's final either -- here it is:

http://peking.ard.de/peking2008/media/spor...ngvideo292.html

I'm afraid that viewers from outside Germany won't be able to watch this video.

Thanks F.,

I saw it in the meantime at the ARD...

8 gold medals already, Germany only won 14 at Athens, goethe it looks like SI was more on the mark for now.

She didn't even realize she had won until Libby told her.

Britta said on ARD that she saw Libby only and after she looked on the board she was aware that she won - the scene between her and Libby was really emotional...

Well, the outfit is a bit "American" ... looks as if we are trying to catch the gold by the colour of our outfits ;o) ... yes, I definitely prefer the white shirt with the red strip, as well .... though an entirely red or black shirt with sth on it could look nice as well ... but gold :huh: ?!

Anyway .... we're THIRD right now ... looks like Russia has a hard time to catch up with us ... :P ... let's hope some rowers, equestrians, canoeists and track and field athletes will bring further success to this German performance ^_^

Talking about others ... what a Slovakian dominance in whitewater canoeing :blink: ... great job, Slovakia !

I am really f***ed up with this schedule for the decision in the middle of the night - thanks to NBC ... why the hell can they influence the schedule ? I can't imagine that all European countries (together) haven't got the same amount of Olympic TV viewers, so why didn't the Chinese take us into consideration ? Now entire Europe has to watch the games at midnight :angry: !

I don't like the athletics outfit. It clearly demonstrates why our national flag is, in fact, not black-red-gold but black-red-yellow -- gold rarely looks good as a colour. The gold they used for the outfit looks somewhat dirty, and depending on the light, sometimes it even appears as if the golden parts are actually skin-coloured and as if the athletes are wearing nothing around their breast than this red strip.

White is the traditional colour of the outfit of German athletes, so they should actually not change that.

I don't like the athletics outfit. It clearly demonstrates why our national flag is, in fact, not black-red-gold but black-red-yellow -- gold rarely looks good as a colour. The gold they used for the outfit looks somewhat dirty, and depending on the light, sometimes it even appears as if the golden parts are actually skin-coloured and as if the athletes are wearing nothing around their breast than this red strip.

White is the traditional colour of the outfit of German athletes, so they should actually not change that.

Well the official colour is close to the golden yellow hue, whereas Belgium's official colour is closer to the primary yellow.

2ziu2kh.jpg

Germany's Eric Koreng (L) celebrates with team-mate David Klemperer after they won their match against the Netherlands in a men's preliminary beach volleyball match at Beijing's Chaoyang Park Beach Volleyball Ground on August 14, 2008, during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Germany won 2-0.

Sweet.

Unbelievable! I had fallen asleep in front of my TV but just awoke when the commentator said "Let's see what Britta Steffen does" and when she finished 1st in the women's 50 m freestyle. So once more:

Olympic Champion

188560-01-08.jpg

Germany's new "Golden Girl"!