Dumb Summer Olympic "sports"

Since I've been immersed in more Olympic viewing that I care to, I'm starting to find quite a FEW dumb Olympic "sports." Really shouldn't even call them sports because they are so dumb...

To start with...

WATER POLO - This distraction seems so inefficient investment-wise. The players just race back and forth every 30 seconds, struggling to stay afloat AND MAYBE sneak a shot in. I mean in terms of achievement-vs-expended effort (actually scoring-vs-the swimming & staying afloat), what's the ratio? Probably like 92% to 8%. And for this, it gets a whole new venue?

It's also the same principle and # of players as TeamHandball, except a larger ball and a big pool -- so why even bother with the duplication?? And the stupid IOC nabobs can't disitnguish the difference and that it's possibly one way of cutting down the # of sports? :rolleyes:

WEIGHLIFTING - Since I've had spine problems (a side-effect of my condition), I wonder what the spinal injury rate in future years is for these 'weightlifters'? I mean to court future stress and injury to your spine, just to lift some stupid metal, is beyond me. Can some people be some dumb as to excel in this diversion rather than say, take up chess or something that will challenge the grey matter more than just to lift some clunky pieces of metal? This dumb activity has to go from the Olympics.

What are your other pet peeve sports?

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Synchronized swimming and gymnastics. Those need to go and be replaced by rugby and skateboarding (or in the case of London 2012, complaining.)

I totally agree with the skateboarding. Heck, half-pipe snowboarding is an event, why not something with wheels. I would love to see what these boarders do to the uniforms. HAH!

Shooting. How on earth is that considered a sport is beyond me.

They also need to do away with Triathlon. I mean - it's nothing more than a combination of 3 sports that are already in the Olympics lumped into one.

Equestrian also needs to go. If they inisit on having it in the olympics, than NASCAR speed racing should also be included.

Oh yeah...get rid of trampoline.

Actually, code, you are suggesting deletion of sports that do NOT require a new venue. That will NOT help. Middlling sports that require new venues in the future are the ones that are favored heavily to be dropped.

They also need to do away with Triathlon. I mean - it's nothing more than a combination of 3 sports that are already in the Olympics lumped into one.

Equestrian also needs to go. If they inisit on having it in the olympics, than NASCAR speed racing should also be included.

Good points, Ahmet.

Was able to watch the women's weightlifting event this morning. It freaked me out big time.

Anyway, I don't get modern pentathlon. So what if an athlete can ride horses, shoot targets, run, swim, and fence? That's venue placement hell right there.

But I don't think it's easy to ditch this 'sport' from the Olympics roster:

The modern pentathlon was invented by the Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympic Games. As the events of the ancient pentathlon were modeled after the skills of the ideal soldier of that time, Coubertin created the contest to simulate the experience of a 19th century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight with pistol and sword, swim, and run. (Wikipedia)

The Charter doesn't allow sports (?) that depend upon motors.

The Charter doesn't allow sports (?) that depend upon motors.

Nevertheless, it allows those that rely on the performance of Animals. Where do the performance of the athelets come into play - other than knowing how to ride and hold onto a horse?

Equestrian belongs in the "Animalympics"

Animalympics from 1980 with voices of Billy Crystal, Gilda Radner and others

If you've never seen this - it is a must watch. Watch it now!

The Motto - "Farther, Faster, Furrier"

Animalympics.jpg

Why aren't you watching it yet?

On youtube is the whole movie - search for "Dschungel Olympiade" - member: Osakuza08 - the videos are on his first and second page...

I say a minimum of 50 sports. Keep the current (as in 28 sports) program. Add the following:

Cricket

Polo

Lifeguarding

Water Skiing

Netball

Lacrosse

Sumo

Tug of War

Squash

Golf

Bowling

Chess