Dumb Summer Olympic "sports"

Lifeguarding?

Its actually recognized as a official sport by the IOC. Of coarse, its competitions based on lifesaving skills, not actual guarding.

If we think shooting is not a sport, I would question Archery too...

And if Boxing is retarded, so is Wrestling. :P

They keep talking about restricting the number of sports, but a number of them could have fallen under the same umbrella, much like what they do to Aquatics. Boxing, Judo, Taekwondo and Wrestling (possibly even Fencing which technically qualifies) could fall under "Martial Arts", which can then include Wushu. Canoeing, Rowing and Sailing could all come under "Boat racing".

how about complaining? think of the heated france / canada final.

:lol::lol::lol:

I almost lost my drink from laughter on that one . . .

Since I've been immersed in more Olympic viewing that I care to, I'm starting to find quite a FEW dumb Olympic "sports." Really shouldn't even call them sports because they are so dumb...

To start with...

WATER POLO - This distraction seems so inefficient investment-wise. The players just race back and forth every 30 seconds, struggling to stay afloat AND MAYBE sneak a shot in. I mean in terms of achievement-vs-expended effort (actually scoring-vs-the swimming & staying afloat), what's the ratio? Probably like 92% to 8%. And for this, it gets a whole new venue?

It's also the same principle and # of players as TeamHandball, except a larger ball and a big pool -- so why even bother with the duplication?? And the stupid IOC nabobs can't disitnguish the difference and that it's possibly one way of cutting down the # of sports? :rolleyes:

WEIGHLIFTING - Since I've had spine problems (a side-effect of my condition), I wonder what the spinal injury rate in future years is for these 'weightlifters'? I mean to court future stress and injury to your spine, just to lift some stupid metal, is beyond me. Can some people be some dumb as to excel in this diversion rather than say, take up chess or something that will challenge the grey matter more than just to lift some clunky pieces of metal? This dumb activity has to go from the Olympics.

What are your other pet peeve sports?

As someone who was done both powerlifting and Olympic style lifting, I hate to say it, but I'm in agreement about removing weightlifting from the program not because it's a dumb sport but it's the most crooked one out there in terms of doping. And the dopers are alway one step ahead of the tests. Just ask Barry Bonds. With that said, I'd eliminate cycling as well, for the same reason.

As for pet peeve sports, I'll go with equestrian and modern pentathlon. I'd like to see rugby, golf, and perhaps roller sports added at some point.