Channel 7 (aussie) Coverage

Sir Rols

What the f***! We get an Olympics live in our time zone, and Channel 7 throw over for three hours to a bloody AFL game! In NSW included! Ridiculous! I might even phone-in to complain. Thank god SBS are still on the games (with the women's road cycle race).

I'm not sure about this coverage. Just about the best part so far was when the commentator sound went off early in the OC and for once they let the images tell the story. And did anyone notice that while they threw to frequent ads during the artistic part of gthe OC, they kept the most tedious part, the Parade of Nations, ad-free. Oh well, I guess they have complaints if they miss out on showing the odd tin-pot protectorate march in.

Commentary's been much as I've expected. I'll wait and see how the presentation develops. But while I generally like Sonia Kruger, at the games, her "Dumb Blonde" act is starting to wear a bit thin.

What the f***! We get an Olympics live in our time zone, and Channel 7 throw over for three hours to a bloody AFL game! In NSW included! Ridiculous! I might even phone-in to complain. Thank god SBS are still on the games (with the women's road cycle race).

I'm not sure about this coverage. Just about the best part so far was when the commentator sound went off early in the OC and for once they let the images tell the story. And did anyone notice that while they threw to frequent ads during the artistic part of gthe OC, they kept the most tedious part, the Parade of Nations, ad-free. Oh well, I guess they have complaints if they miss out on showing the odd tin-pot protectorate march in.

Commentary's been much as I've expected. I'll wait and see how the presentation develops. But while I generally like Sonia Kruger, at the games, her "Dumb Blonde" act is starting to wear a bit thin.

:lol:AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHHHAAAAA HHAA HA HA HA HA! :lol:

Over here in backwards ol Kiwiland we have TVNZ's Freeview HD Digital Sports Channel 6 with wall to wall coverage, and we actually got full coverage of the Opening Ceremony! For the first time in years!

Even regular VHF TV One has daily coverage tween news breaks. :P

:) Seriously now, The coverage may be good but yet again we are stuck with ancient presenters that have been around since 1972! Yes Keith Quinn! Man would he just keel over and die!!! :angry:

The audio glitch affected 15 networks, not just Channel 7:

CBC averts disaster during opening ceremony

WILLIAM HOUSTON

whouston@globeandmail.com

August 9, 2008

The CBC narrowly escaped a technical calamity during its telecast of the Beijing Olympics' opening ceremony on Friday.

Just as the network switched from its preview show to the live telecast of the ceremony, the audio portion of the transmission disappeared.

The problem, which originated with the host broadcast, affected the CBC and about 15 international networks.

"Fortunately, we had our own lines installed," said Trevor Pilling, the CBC's Olympics executive producer. "So we went to our backup lines. Without having those backup lines in place, it could have been a disaster."

Pilling said a formal complaint has been lodged to the venue technical manager.

Scott Moore, the head of CBC Sports, said he received an e-mail message reporting that the Australian rights holder, Channel 7, was without audio for a period.

The CBC's audio problem lasted only a few seconds.

NBC's telecast, which was tape delayed to 7:30 p.m. EDT Friday night, was not affected by the technical problem.

Moore said the international broadcasters will meet Saturday.

The only other technical glitch that affected the CBC was difficulty in communicating with Canadians at the National Stadium's infield. Organizers refused to give CBC access to the athletes.

As an alternative, the network used a cellphone system linking co-hosts Peter Mansbridge and Ron MacLean to the athletes. It was largely ineffective, although a clear interview with flag-bearer Adam van Koeverden was achieved.

The games are fantastic! But broadcasters are always an easy target to pick on.

:rolleyes: Have to admit veteran broadcaster Peter Montgomery is right at home out at the rowing where NZ is expecting to do very well at. He really gets the heart going with his commentary.

7's coverage is as typically shambolic as usual

Currently Australia is playing a big basketball game against Croatia and Seven are currently showing a womens hockey game which finished 2 hours ago (despite 7 promoting the basketball in its coverage yesterday)

7's coverage is as typically shambolic as usual

Currently Australia is playing a big basketball game against Croatia and Seven are currently showing a womens hockey game which finished 2 hours ago (despite 7 promoting the basketball in its coverage yesterday)

And now gymnastics from 4 hours ago while the basketball goes on

I think the BBC, here in London, has been okay so far. There have been a few 'WTF' moments - such as this morning while the rain storm was at its height and they left the women's road cycling to show a leak in the studio roof :blink: ....but at least there are no adverts!

One thing the coverage has done _ made me appreciate, use and master the split scren and picture in picture controls on my screen. I've just today got the hang of getting SBS into the pic-on-pic and switching there when 7 goes onto some less appealing sport (like preliminary water polo games).

Edited by Sir Roltel

• 2 weeks later...

Today marks the last day after 16 years of Channel 7 Olympic coverage

After after the past two weeks .....

A sigh of relief and a THANK GOD will be let out from Australian Olympic fans

2006 Turin coverage was pathetic, 2008 Beijing coverage has been pitiful

Welcome Channel 9 & FOXTEL! SAVE US! SAVE US NOW! :lol:

2008 - 2 channels

2012 - 11 channels (+ internet streams) :D

Might need to pay $$$$ for it, but at least we have the option now of getting half-decent coverage than no option at all

Well Channel 7 going out in a blaze of glory

8 minutes left in the Gold Medal basketball game. 2 points the difference

And they announce they are cutting to the 6pm news and we'll show the ending of the basketball later

Basketball stays on for a few minutes, then all of a sudden Ch7 Melbourne cuts to Ch7 Sydney news mid news report and then back to Ch7 Melbourne News

Laughable joke of a TV network

.... and we'll show the ending of the basketball later

Which they just wrapped up the missing 8 minutes into a 15 second package

And now off to more replays and interviews with Aussie athletes .........

It's so pitiful and pathetic it is laughable now

After paying $750million for the AFL rights i dont think they'd want to hand all those games over to Channel 10 during the Games.

I guess they feel that people will watch the football week in week out. The Olympics are a a spare of the moment thing. Come home, watch whatevers on. Not really much "looking forward" to certain events for the average Australian...thus not much disapoint when you get football instead of quater final badminton.

Personally i would have liked to have seen 100% Olympics. And zero Yum Cha! Bring back The Dream.

I also write posts for an Australian basketball website called Ozhoopsboards as its most frequent American poster--same moniker as here. Four years ago, I've learned just how horrible the Australian Olympic coverage was on 7 just by reading about it from Australian basketball fans who constantly gripe over how that network fails to stay on end to end for basketball, particularly for Boomers and Opals games, constantly cutting away from the action. Not surpringly, they were not very happy in their thoughts about C7's coverage and demanded more from the network.