Cbc Broadcast Of The Games

SkiFreak

I watched the CBC down here in my (not bragging) summer residence in georgeous Barbados and I found the commentary for the opening good. The commercial breaks were awful though and the angles of the shots could have done some more work.

I find the CBC way more balnaced in covering athletes from around the world than NBC. I was actually pretty amazed that CBC is so popular in the Caribbean.

Well, just note that CBC is ending its Canadian Olympic broadcast reign in a few days.....2010 and 2012 will be on CTV and Rogers Sportsnet, and their affiliated networks including TSN.

I agree with you, the commercials on CBC's broadcast for the opening were terrible....but after watching the commercial-free version from Hong Kong's TVB, the segments we missed on CBC weren't really that interesting.

I was hoping to watch wrestling today as a guy I went to highschool with is competing and a buddy of mine went to Beijing to chear him on. Do you think CBC is airing wrestling today? No. Not even over the internet. Damn you CBC. :angry:

CBC gets approval for new sports channel

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 | 1:44 PM ET

CBC Sports

Approval has been granted for a new digital sports channel, tentatively known as CBC Sports Plus, CBC Sports announced Wednesday.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission approved CBC's application for an all-sports licence for the channel, which will focus in large part on Canadian sporting events, stories and accomplishments.

"We feel this is great news for both CBC and the Canadian sports system," said Scott Moore, executive director for CBC Sports.

"For over 50 years, CBC has been Canada's pre-eminent broadcaster of Canadian sport. We feel with the addition of another platform, we will continue to be a great contributor to Canada's success in sports at all levels.

"Following on the success of our Beijing Olympic coverage, we feel CBC will now be able to make an even more significant contribution to the success of our Canadian athletes."

CBC Sports Plus, a Category 2 digital specialty channel, is expected to feature a mix of professional and amateur sports.

The CBC received the approval of its board of governors in January to submit an application for a proposed all-sports channel.

CBC Sports coverage for the remainder of 2008 includes:

* The Beijing Olympics.

* Paralympic Summer Games.

* CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada.

* BMO Toronto FC.

* President’s Choice Raptors Basketball.

* Rogers Blue Jays Baseball.

* Comprehensive FIFA coverage.

* Pontiac Alpine Ski Series.

* Capital One Grand Slam of Curling.

* Canadian and International Championship Figure Skating.

* Golden League Track and Field.

I think this is GREAT NEWS....it's something that TSN and Sportsnet won't do, show amateur sports.....this new channel will promote amateur sports. So much for TSN2.

HOWEVER, the only problem I have with this is that it's CATEGORY 2, exclusive to digital and not required by cable companies to carry it. What good is that?

Not to mention that CBC has lost some of the brightest people in sports like Brian Williams, Cuthbert and it can't even keep the HNIC theme song. Not to mention they've lost the 2010 and 2012 Games, Grey Cup/CFL, and curling rights to other networks AND will likely lose the NHL rights once 2013 rolls around.

And I'm also not sure where they're going to find the money.....their $1.4-billion annual budget is definitely not enough and has stayed the same for the last 15 years. That budget is already quite diluted over internet, radio, tv, and Newsworld.......and especially on the main tv network, where you'll find some of the most crappiest programs around. And a few years ago, they had to make quite a bit of layoffs in the sports department.

I knew on 08.08.08 that the CBC was in trouble when Ron McLean welcomed viewers to the "Land of the Rising Sun". WTF? He either knows something about 8 years from now, he's 44 years too late, or he's just plain stupid. Why do people like this guy? CBC used to be brilliant Olympic coverage whereas CTV was a Ron Black mustached cringefest. Hopefully CTV will be better in 2 and 4 years time. But please, no more Ron's for Canada. Not even Ron Burgundy.

My condolences to Ron Maclean and his family.

I've been watching a lot of these Olympics and it won't be the same.

All the Best.

Ron MacLean leaving CBC's Beijing broadcast

Last Updated: Thursday, August 21, 2008 | 12:02 AM ET

CBC Sports

Ron MacLean is leaving his post as the main anchor for CBC's coverage of the Beijing Olympics following the death of his mother from pancreatic cancer on Wednesday night.

After signing off from Wednesday's edition of the Olympic Prime broadcast, MacLean was to return to his home in Oakville, Ont., to be with his family.

MacLean, 48, will stay in Canada for the remainder of the Games, which conclude Sunday.

"I'm probably in that bubble of denial that you get in when you're involved in television, but the truth of the matter is I gave her all I had all my life so there's no harm in not having been there for the final moments," MacLean said near the end of Wednesday's broadcast.

Adding to the difficulty for MacLean's mother, 82, is that she fell and broke her hip on the night of the opening ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics.

Scott Russell will take over hosting duties for Olympic Prime (6 p.m. to midnight ET), while Diana Swain will go solo on Olympic Morning (6 a.m. to noon ET). Ian Hanomansing will continue to host Pacific Prime (midnight to 3 a.m. ET).

"The ship's on its way, it's got a comfortable lead, and nobody better to steer [than Russell]," said MacLean.

Since Ron is coming back to Canada, they could've replaced him with his buddy Don. Just think of the face guard comments we'd get each time a French athlete would show up on screen. Also, we'd get a different coloured suit each day! :lol:

Well, CBC just ended their Olympic coverage......so sad. I watched Scott's closing remarks, the network sounds pretty depressed with the Games leaving them. Their closing montages were absolutely beautiful, as usual in every Games.....and I even watched all of the closing credits. :P Had to soak up every minute of the Games that are left.

Thank you CBC!

Interesting how it resumed with its crappy programming right after the Olympics.

There was some good things with the broadcasting. Ian Hanonmansing, Diane Swain and Scott Russel were good, Ron was typically crappy. Actually having studios in Beijing was also good, unlike for Athens. The coverage was decent, the quality of commentary for a few sports was bad.

It is a little late but I want to ad my condolences to Ron Maclean for the loss of his mother. He is very classy and very professional at the most diffcult time of his life and great to see him in Toronto to add his final thoughts after the closing ceremonies.

Well the coverage has ended and I thought CBC actually went out with a bang. You could tell with Scott Russell voice was a little bittersweet that the network won't be their for 2010 and 2012.

Overall I thought the networks coverage was quite good and I was really impressed with all 4 anchors and I thought Ian Hanomansingh should have been an anchor years ago and I was impressed with Diana Swain considering she came from the news department. Ron Maclean and Scott Russell are first class as always.

The overall commentary was good. I thought Scott Oake and Barney Williams in Rowing and Steve Armatiage and Byron MacDonald in Swimming were the networks best commentators and although I am not a big fan of him, I thought that Mark Lee did an admirable job doing Track and Field replacing the late Don Wittman, having said that there will be no other commentator like Don Wittman.

Now it is 2010 and the baton has been past to CTV/TSN and Rogers Sportsnet. Brian Williams is a no brainer anchoring CTV/TSN but who will join him? I would think that Dave Randorf and Rod Smith would make good anchors and on the Rogers Sportsnet side, I am not really sure, Gerry Dobson will more likely being doing Alpine Sking, but I think Martine Gillard would be a good choice.

Interesting how it resumed with its crappy programming right after the Olympics.

What, you don't like all the commercials for Little Mosque on the Prairie and Rick Mercer?

Actually in the end I think they did an alright job. I'm just limited to the internet stuff as I don't have cable. I do hope CTV does the same thing by doing live feeds over the internet. I guess these will probably be over on TSN's website.

What, you don't like all the commercials for Little Mosque on the Prairie and Rick Mercer?

Actually in the end I think they did an alright job. I'm just limited to the internet stuff as I don't have cable. I do hope CTV does the same thing by doing live feeds over the internet. I guess these will probably be over on TSN's website.

I agree.....and having the studio in such a strategic, amazing location helped a ton. With the Torino coverage, it didn't seem really connected.

The only thing that lacked in their coverage was their graphics, some were terrible.

Brian Williams is a no brainer anchoring CTV/TSN but who will join him?

Tracy Wilson? Lloyd Robertson? At least for the Opening Ceremony. Where Brian will remind us once again that the Olympic flag was first unfurled in 1920 in Antwerp.

I actually liked the CBC studio presentation better than our own NBC. It was more visually stunning than the NBC fung shui type studio. Canadians are known and recognised internationally to be somewhat mediocre because of their unhealthy addiction to modesty but I think they may have shown some heart here.

Tracy Wilson? Lloyd Robertson? At least for the Opening Ceremony. Where Brian will remind us once again that the Olympic flag was first unfurled in 1920 in Antwerp.

Yeah I could see Brian Williams and Lloyd Robertson calling the opening ceremonies. Yeah I can just here him, "It's just past 5:00 in the afternoon here in Vancouver for the opening ceremonies for the 21st Olympic Winter Games!"

I think Tracy Wilson is doing anaylists for NBC, but I not sure if she is wth CTV/TSN anymore. I read in an article that in terms of figure skating coverage Sportsnet's Rob Faulds is replacing CTV/TSN Rod Black as the Figure Skating commentator with Jamie Sale, David Pelltier and Kurt Browning as Anaylists.

Closing Credits to CBC's broadcast of the Beijing Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLwEo0p-FA

CBC Olympics - 16 Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7oteRTA6qY

CBC Olympics - Story of Your Life (Montage of CBC's Olympic broadcasts since Melbourne 1956)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geBCrhQuvf8

CBC Olympics - All I Ever Wanted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpKo32WlcY

Closing Credits to CBC's broadcast of the Beijing Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLwEo0p-FA

CBC Olympics - 16 Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7oteRTA6qY

CBC Olympics - Story of Your Life (Montage of CBC's Olympic broadcasts since Melbourne 1956)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geBCrhQuvf8

CBC Olympics - All I Ever Wanted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpKo32WlcY

Nice Stuff Mr. X. I taped the closing ceremonies last night and I hope I can transfer it to digital

Sadly, the voices and faces Canada will see on TV as the youth of the world assemble in Vancouver will be anything but youthful. Brian Williams may remind us when doves were first released at the Opening Ceremony, but Lloyd Robertson was actually there as a senior correspondent. Both should retire soon.

The only thing I liked about CBC was whats her name from Olympic Morning. She was a natural presenter and didn't act like everything was being fed to her. Way too much repeating of words by anchors for me. She was also the only person who acted decently upbeat! And the diving commentator whose name I also forgot. Not that she was good, but that she was memorable. I could watch diving forever and hear her voice in my head "Wow! That was a bit of a miss for him!" :lol:

NBC is still strides ahead of CBC because of its multinational content and side stories. Even though a lot of the content is delayed into a super-moist primetime cake, the cake is often worth the wait as a lot of the breaking stories about bizarre events, factoid digests, or highlights from concurrent eventing would only hit NBC's primetime coverage and not even appear on CBC for a couple days if at all. And the yin & yang segments seemed patronizing for some reason.

I hope that a much better streamlined job will be done with Vancouver. Maybe the host nation pressure will produce a broadcast that's almost as fascinating as the events themselves.

The only thing I liked about CBC was whats her name from Olympic Morning. She was a natural presenter and didn't act like everything was being fed to her. Way too much repeating of words by anchors for me. She was also the only person who acted decently upbeat! And the diving commentator whose name I also forgot. Not that she was good, but that she was memorable. I could watch diving forever and hear her voice in my head "Wow! That was a bit of a miss for him!" :lol:

NBC is still strides ahead of CBC because of its multinational content and side stories. Even though a lot of the content is delayed into a super-moist primetime cake, the cake is often worth the wait as a lot of the breaking stories about bizarre events, factoid digests, or highlights from concurrent eventing would only hit NBC's primetime coverage and not even appear on CBC for a couple days if at all. And the yin & yang segments seemed patronizing for some reason.

I hope that a much better streamlined job will be done with Vancouver. Maybe the host nation pressure will produce a broadcast that's almost as fascinating as the events themselves.

Diane Swain....she was incredibly good, I really enjoyed her broadcasts. And she did a great job as commentator for the closing ceremony.

LOL....same thoughts too with the diving commentator, don't know what her name though.

Commercial free ceremonies from CTV in 2010 would be nice......of course, wishful thinking. The Chinese networks CCTV and TVB were able to do that for Beijing.