Swimming

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A disapointment for Oz in the women's breastroke. We'd pretty well pencilled in Liesel for Gold. Oh well, a medal's a medal, and all credit to New Jersey girl Soni, a great swim. Congratulations to the US. That'll teach us for being cocky!

And now Phelps six down and two to go (one to equal Spitz). And that win looked inevitable! The guy's swimming is just remorseless.

A great morning for the USA in the pool so far, three for three!

Edited by Sir Roltel

It really does not matter how Pini fares in the final, all that matters for his country is that he's gotten this far, something only one other PNG athlete has ever done since they started competing in 1976, his teammate Dika Toua (the first woman to ever lift a weight at the Olympics in Sydney).

His winning this race at the Commonwealth Games is one thing, but if somehow the unthinkable happened and is able to pull this off again, at the Olympics, and against the best swimmer in the world and the winningest athlete in Olympic history, it could be the greatest upset in sports history. Won't happen, obviously.

Wow. Hackett might have what it takes after all. He just qualified fastest in an Olympic record for Sunday's 1500m final. setting him up for his third tilt at the title! Good on you Grant!

And also good news for the Canadians. Sullivan qualified second, only a few seconds behind after setting the Olympic record as well in the previous heat. Lining up as a great showdown and certainly one of the moments of the Games for Aussies to watch!

Edited by Sir Roltel

Australia favourites in 4 individual events in 2 days, and lost them all. If it wasn't for Stephanie Rice, we would be in a lot of trouble on the medal tally.

hasn't trickett done well these games? i thought she won two gold or a silver or something decent like that.

Wow. Hackett might have what it takes after all. He just qualified fastest in an Olympic record for Sunday's 1500m final. setting him up for his third tilt at the title! Good on you Grant!

And also good news for the Canadians. Sullivan qualified second, only a few seconds behind after setting the Olympic record as well in the previous heat. Lining up as a great showdown and certainly one of the moments of the Games for Aussies to watch!

His name is Ryan Cochrane. We all know what happened to the last Canadian that finished second going into the final, he came fourth.

This is NOT a slam against Canadians. But seriously, has Canada ever been a swimming factor since Mark Tewksbury?

Your medals are coming this weekend probably. Although it would be nice to see Canada win in a swimming event.

I am somewhat surprised at the Aussies. I really thought they'd be several more medals up than what they are.

This is NOT a slam against Canadians. But seriously, has Canada ever been a swimming factor since Mark Tewksbury?

Your medals are coming this weekend probably. Although it would be nice to see Canada win in a swimming event.

I am somewhat surprised at the Aussies. I really thought they'd be several more medals up than what they are.

3 or 4 medals in Atlanta and 1 in Sydney. It has been on a slide since LA in 84 but Swim Canada doesn't feel like doing anything about it until the embarrassment in Athens. We went from 13 finals in 96, 11 in 00 to 3 in 04.

In LA84 we won 4 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze, many of them in times that boycott countries would have been hard pressed to beat, especially 3 of the gold. 1 silver and 1 bronze in Seoul, 1 gold and 1 bronze in Barcelona, 1 silver and 2 bronze in Atlanta and 1 bronze in Sydney. 3 of the last 4 medals were won by the same guy.

Congratulations Britain _ a really great swim from Adlington to break Janet Evans' 1989 record. And good signs for London! Well done.

And congratulations USA and Michael Phelps. Equal to Spitz now. Now will he break it.

Actually, I liked a comment attributed to Spitz on the eve of the games. Asked how equalling his record would be, he said it would be like the second man stepping on the moon. ASked how breaking his record would be, he said it would be like the first man on Mars.

His name is Ryan Cochrane. We all know what happened to the last Canadian that finished second going into the final, he came fourth.

Sorry, I must have had Sullivan on the mind. They were talking about the 50m heats when I typed that.

LA84 Posted Today, 11:48 AM

Still a bit to go, and a few more hopes for us. Hackett in the 1500m will be hard, but he'll be legendary oif he makes it and Oz will really go off. I don't want to nominate our hopes to go beyond that, though, I don't want to jinx us.

In some ways, the swim meet's gone close to what we expected. The women have held up their promise _ all our golds are from them. The men have some promise, but were onbviously going to be a bit down after Thorpe's retirement. A bit unlucky only to get silver in two of our swims (Jones and Trickett, but I certainly don't begrudge Trickett's loss to Britta Steffen). It's actually not swimming I'm most worried about for the Aussies, but outside _ we've had bugger all outside the Water Cube, a few minors. We'll really ned to diversify if we want to maintain our rankings. As I've said all along, I'll be happy if we're in double figures for golds, and ecstatic if we beat again the Melbourne 1956 standard of 13.

Well no medals for Kenya or Papua-New Guinea in the pool, still it was great to see to see them make a final in swimming.

But on a similar note, both Zimbabwe (Coventry, 200m backstroke) and Brazil (Filho, 50m freestyle) got Gold today. That means that every continent won a Gold in swimming at this met. Is this a first?

Well no medals for Kenya or Papua-New Guinea in the pool, still it was great to see to see them make a final in swimming.

But on a similar note, both Zimbabwe (Coventry, 200m backstroke) and Brazil (Filho, 50m freestyle) got Gold today. That means that every continent won a Gold in swimming at this met. Is this a first?

oh yes. just realized that all continents got a gold medalist in swimming.