Swimming

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person that feels there are too many medals in Swimming? And whilst the achievement of Phelps can't be denied, it is much easier for someone like him to gain lots of Gold Medals, and therefore have an added advantage of becoming a legendary Olympian.

No, you are not alone. You have the same problem with biathlon and cross-country at the winter games. But you can only solve it, when you restrict the number of starts.

Am I the only person that feels there are too many medals in Swimming? And whilst the achievement of Phelps can't be denied, it is much easier for someone like him to gain lots of Gold Medals, and therefore have an added advantage of becoming a legendary Olympian.

I know for certain that I don't feel the emotions swell up in me for Phelp's medal ceremonies as I do for, to give an example, the judo victors who worked hard for four years for that one brief moment on the podium. Phelps gets to spend more time on the podium than some people spend in competition. The guy is an awesome swimmer though and we are truly blessed to see such an accomplishment in our lifetime.

No, I'm with you! It's a great achivement within swimming, but I am sick of hearing about him. If the BBC go to the lengths they have for PHelps, god knows what lenghts they would go to for a British swmmer... Personally, I don't think it can compare wth a Steve Redgrave who got a gold in 5 games in a row - and there are others from other countries who have greater achievements in my honest opinion!

No, I'm with you! It's a great achivement within swimming, but I am sick of hearing about him. If the BBC go to the lengths they have for PHelps, god knows what lenghts they would go to for a British swmmer... Personally, I don't think it can compare wth a Steve Redgrave who got a gold in 5 games in a row - and there are others from other countries who have greater achievements in my honest opinion!

I agree. It is quite an accomplishment and good on him. But I don't consider him the greatest. People like Steve Redgrave and Al Oerter I would put into the "greatest" column.

To be a great Olympian one doesn't have to have won the most medals, one doesn't have to have won any medals - sometimes one just has to have tried ones best.

Two British athletes that spring to mind have become great Olympians without winning a medal at all.....

Derek Redmond became a great Olympian in Barcelona 1992 when his hamstring tore during the 400 Meters Semi-Final, but he fought through the pain and, with assistance from his father, managed to complete a full lap of the track as the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

Michaela Breeze's efforts in Beijing's 63kg Weightlifting also makes her one of our great Olympians. Despite being in constant pain from a back injury she continued to take part in her event - the pain moved her to tears each time she lifted the apparatus and the spectators, who could see how much she was struggling, gave her so much support. She said that she continued because all she had ever wanted is to be an Olympian.

Every country has their own examples of great Olympians who haven't won medals.

293u0bp.jpg

That is the most juvenile thing you have ever posted. :rolleyes:

God I hope Canada eventually wins a medal.

Phelps is probably the greatest swimmer ever but I don't think so as the best ever Olympian.

Now if he goes to London and adds to his gold medal total I might revise my assessment. But at this point, from the U.S. I put Bonnie Blair, Al Oerter, Carl Lewis, Sammy Lee, Greg Lougannis and Pat Cormick in that category as best ever.

I do take pleasure, however that Ian Thorpe has to eat his words now. B)

At this moment, I think Abebe Bikila is the GREATEST Olympian of all time.

W/o a fancy sports/PR machine behind him, without million-dollar sponsorships, WHO can run 26.5 miles of Roman roads BAREFOOT? I know I can't. Bikila's the only one who ever did and NO ONE else ever will.

That is GREATNESS!!

And then come back 4 years later and win it again in Tokyo.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

At this moment, I think Abebe Bikila is the GREATEST Olympian of all time.

W/o coaches, without fancy sports science to set him up, WHO can run 26.5 miles of Roman roads BAREFOOT? I know I can't. Bikila's the only one who ever did and NO ONE else ever will.

That is GREATNESS!!

^^^

cosign

To be a great Olympian one doesn't have to have won the most medals, one doesn't have to have won any medals - sometimes one just has to have tried ones best.

Two British athletes that spring to mind have become great Olympians without winning a medal at all.....

Derek Redmond became a great Olympian in Barcelona 1992 when his hamstring tore during the 400 Meters Semi-Final, but he fought through the pain and, with assistance from his father, managed to complete a full lap of the track as the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

I'll never forget that moment. One of the most iconic Olympic images of modern times in my view.