American Tourist Murdered

Stu

Details are still coming in, but it seems the 2 tourists were relatives of one of the coaches of the US Mens volleyball team. It is a shocking and sad event, and very strange for Beijing, as crimes with this sort of violence aren't that common Chinese-upon-Chinese, much less Chinese-upon-foreigner. The area of town is quite touristed and by no stretch of the imagination a "bad" area of town as we might define it in a western city. I walked past the Drum Tower with a Chinese friend not 10 days ago. I found out about this a few hours ago on the Olympic Green--I had just exited a gymnastics event and was waiting in front of the NBC live-broadcasting setup prepping for the Saturday Today Show. When they started, their lead story was about this, and you could see the foreigners in the crowd just drop their jaws and look with horror at each other...the Chinese seemed mostly oblivious (language barrier). Then the Today Show went on about...John Edwards B)

This is very sad and of course my thoughts go out to the families affected.....i'm suprised the media didn't start saying things like "Are our athletes in danger" or "Should our athletes leave Beijing" or some sort of crap like that, from what i've seen they are making sure to emphasize that it was an isolated attack.

I am becoming more and more torn about these games and I feel really bad for the Chinese and for the family. Every time you hear from people that have been to China, they always say China is safe and friendly and this is terrible to happen.

If they cant protect a simple tourist to be murdered by a common assasin, what are they gonna do with a terrorist attack (specially when they have been threatened a lot of times).

This supossed strong security of the Beijing 2008 olympics is a farce

If they cant protect a simple tourist to be murdered by a common assasin, what are they gonna do with a terrorist attack (specially when they have been threatened a lot of times).

This supossed strong security of the Beijing 2008 olympics is a farce

What part of "isolated incident" don't you understand?