Gb Opening Ceremony Live Chat

The server is obviously breaking down again. At least I couldn't access the forum during the past ten minutes. When does that ever change?

I mean, it's known beforehand that there's an Olympic opening ceremony. So why not expand the server capacity in time?

Anyway, I'll make a break and be back again after the ceremony (if the server doesn't break down completely then).

Same here ! My laptop is running out of juice anyway.

they said there's a surprise for everyone if the weather is good.. i wonder what that is.. the weather is perfect altho the air is a bit polluted.. the fireworks weren't visually clear on camera..

Sorry, but the ceremony was boring, no spirit at all.

Really? No spirit? Why do I see so many smiling happy excited Chinese faces? I did like the Athens ceremony, but while artistic, it certainly was not a ceremony of joy. This one has more joy. The Chinese look like they are enjoying being hosts, where as the Greeks seemed burdened by their historic duty.

So far I'm a little underwhelmed. This might be my Westernized mentality kicking in, but there just doesn't seem to be any real... flow.

What's there is portrayed very beautifully, but the ceremony is made up of segments of people doing stuff.

There's no story or real progression to any of it. I understand that it's difficult to cram that much history into one hour, but with Sydney and Salt Lake, you at least had a kid serving as your guide who discovered the different aspects of Australian/Utah history along with you as a member of the audience. Were it not for the broadcaster's commentary, I'm not sure I'd be aware of what each segment of the ceremony was meant to represent. Maybe that's ignorance on my part, but I felt a bit distant from what was going on... I wasn't swept up in the discovery of the whole thing.

That and some parts of it felt a little too orchestrated for my tastes, notably the National Anthem (with the kids all singing with perfect smiles and right arms raised... made me squirm) and the performers 'taking a bow' after each segment. It took me out of the moment when the drummers dropped their stoic, warrior-like appearances and began smiling and waving.

On the upside, those of us in Vancouver won't need to worry about that echo in BC Place, because it sounds like the National Stadium is far, far worse. Sarah Brightman sounded like she was underwater.

Just my two yuen.

Initial thoughts

Down here in Barbados, we are getting the feed from CBC Toronto. I think the commentators are doing a great job since they are giving so much information during the cultural presentations and the parade of nations. But the breaks.........the breaks for ads are off time and are really...really bad. CBC must now "up the anti" so to speak beacuse now, many people around the world tune in to CBC for a different perspective from the traditional news houses like CNN and BBC.

While I do think the ceremony was artistically pleasing with an emphasis on numbers, I expected it to be a bit more lavish. Somehow it didn't quite give that opulent "punch" I was looking for and is such a hallmark of chinese cultural presentations.

The thing is, just days ago, CNN did this incredible report on a festival in NorthKorea that commemorated 60th anniversary of the NK Republic. Words cannot begin to describe the staggering opulence of the 150,000 performers involved in the presentation in the main stadium of Pyongyang. According to the report, a United Nations Representative said that he had travelled the world over and had never seen anything like it.

I though China would have topped that but it didn't.

Nonetheless, the ceremony was very pleasing and embodied a certain reverence.

Could the problem be that it was difficult for the AD of the ceremony to depict the majesty of the culture of China?

I think there should be a medal for the poor happy clappy chinese girls lining the route lol

Initial thoughts

Down here in Barbados, we are getting the feed from CBC Toronto. I think the commentators are doing a great job since they are giving so much information during the cultural presentations and the parade of nations. But the breaks.........the breaks for ads are off time and are really...really bad. CBC must now "up the anti" so to speak beacuse now, many people around the world tune in to CBC for a different perspective from the traditional news houses like CNN and BBC.

While I do think the ceremony was artistically pleasing with an emphasis on numbers, I expected it to be a bit more lavish. Somehow it didn't quite give that opulent "punch" I was looking for and is such a hallmark of chinese cultural presentations.

The thing is, just days ago, CNN did this incredible report on a festival in NorthKorea that commemorated 60th anniversary of the NK Republic. Words cannot begin to describe the staggering opulence of the 150,000 performers involved in the presentation in the main stadium of Pyongyang. According to the report, a United Nations Representative said that he had travelled the world over and had never seen anything like it.

Could the problem be that it was difficult for the AD of the ceremony to depict the majesty of the culture of China?

Initial thoughts

This just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on doesn't it?

There's no story or real progression to any of it. I understand that it's difficult to cram that much history into one hour, but with Sydney and Salt Lake, you at least had a kid serving as your guide who discovered the different aspects of Australian/Utah history along with you as a member of the audience. Were it not for the broadcaster's commentary, I'm not sure I'd be aware of what each segment of the ceremony was meant to represent. Maybe that's ignorance on my part, but I felt a bit distant from what was going on... I wasn't swept up in the discovery of the whole thing.

I'm not sure if I agree... the scroll-theme is like telling the history of Chinese civilization from ancient to modern world.... you'd see how each segment leaves a mark on the scroll (now the athelete' turn to leave their footprint). This scroll would turn to the big torch.... i am not sure about if the commenter in your country made reference to the officiel media script about what each segment means, but from the TV station that I saw... each segment made a lot of sense, and really captured the key essence of the chinese civilization like the 4 great inventions, arts and culture.