Gb Opening Ceremony Live Chat

and at the end, which is the official song for Beijing?

The official theme song is called "You and Me".

Here's the official video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TrG8QoieDpA

I have to say: I was very afraid that they would come up with an extremely 80s-like, corny and overly bombastic theme song. But that was the best choice they could make. It is very moving, but a simple melody -- sounding like a very soothing children's lullaby. I loved it right from the very first moment I heard it, as instrumental version in the SBS preview clip of the opening ceremony rehearsals. The best Olympic theme song in years! There was never such a melancholic, mostly quiet Olympic theme song, so it's very innovative, too.

Focking CBC and their commercials.

No kidding. I just came home to see how the LIVE recording is and seeing the "encore presentation" of it right now temporarily. I will most likely see it (the encore) one again tonight, as I need to get back to work quickly.

This is CBC's last broadcasting of the Olympic Games for a while and this is what I see, as a result? Man, not to get off-topic, but I hope that CTV and its partners do Vancouver 2010 much better in this case.

I enjoyed it. The drums were good at the start, and the large unfolding scroll. A quick question. The Olympic Rings at the start seemed to be made up of tiny bright lights and I thought it was some kind of video projection. How did it then become a physical shape that was lifted off the ground? I thought that was really good too.

No kidding. I just came home to see how the LIVE recording is and seeing the "encore presentation" of it right now temporarily. I will most likely see it (the encore) one again tonight, as I need to get back to work quickly.

This is CBC's last broadcasting of the Olympic Games for a while and this is what I see, as a result? Man, not to get off-topic, but I hope that CTV and its partners do Vancouver 2010 much better in this case.

Forget about that, odds are there will be a ton more commercials on CTV's coverage....it will certainly be much more commercialized.

So far I'm a little underwhelmed. This might be my Westernized mentality kicking in, but there just doesn't seem to be any real... flow.

What's there is portrayed very beautifully, but the ceremony is made up of segments of people doing stuff.

There's no story or real progression to any of it. I understand that it's difficult to cram that much history into one hour, but with Sydney and Salt Lake, you at least had a kid serving as your guide who discovered the different aspects of Australian/Utah history along with you as a member of the audience. Were it not for the broadcaster's commentary, I'm not sure I'd be aware of what each segment of the ceremony was meant to represent. Maybe that's ignorance on my part, but I felt a bit distant from what was going on... I wasn't swept up in the discovery of the whole thing.

That and some parts of it felt a little too orchestrated for my tastes, notably the National Anthem (with the kids all singing with perfect smiles and right arms raised... made me squirm) and the performers 'taking a bow' after each segment. It took me out of the moment when the drummers dropped their stoic, warrior-like appearances and began smiling and waving.

On the upside, those of us in Vancouver won't need to worry about that echo in BC Place, because it sounds like the National Stadium is far, far worse. Sarah Brightman sounded like she was underwater.

Just my two yuen.

I thought I was hearing things, too, of that "echo." First, I thought it was the sound equipment gone nuts, especially when the two CBC commentators started to talk about describing the ceremony in the beginning. With this post, I know now that I was not the only one that noticed this glitch.

Forget about that, odds are there will be a ton more commercials on CTV's coverage....it will certainly be much more commercialized.

Isn't that just great? <_<:rolleyes: If, one day, I have that Vancouver 2010 ceremonies recorded and post it up, I would probably get the same comments that "CTV ruined it", like the ones I got with my Lillehammer 1994 videos.

No adverts on Eurosport, hehe, and the commentators weren't bad, they didn't speak too much.

Very nice ceremonies. I have no more words to say, only some doubts to ask...

- Did it really start at 20:08? When I pushed the REC. button on my DVD, when the 2008 drummers started to play, it wasn't even 14:00!

- And who said it was going to last about 3 hours and a half??? I had to cut some parts by the end because I could only record 4 hours and 6 minutes!!! So I think the ceremony went on for four hours and a quarter, more or less.

However, the ceremony was brilliant, excepting its lenght :rolleyes:

And Beijing 2008 website has some "titles" for the segments. I don't know if they are the official names but here they are:

1. Welcome

2. Footprints of History

3. Dream Rings

4. The Chinese National Flag Entry

5. Raising the National Flag and Singing the National Anthem

6. Art Performance

7. Painting Scroll

8. Writing

9. Opera

10. Silk Road

11. Music

12. Starlight

13. Nature

14. Dream

And then the speeches, the flag, the flame...

Now we have 16 days to enjoy sports! Good luck to everyone!

BREAKING NEWS

just 204 participating countries - since Brunei isn't participating due the athletes were registered too late

WHAT?? Since I am in my lunch break typing this and not have seen the recording yet, how in the world did that nation do that to itself?

Isn't that just great? <_<:rolleyes: If, one day, I have that Vancouver 2010 ceremonies recorded and post it up, I would probably get the same comments that "CTV ruined it", like the ones I got with my Lillehammer 1994 videos.

It's just what I think since the CTV/Rogers consortium paid something like $90-million for the rights just to broadcast the 2010 Games, not including broadcasting operations costs.

No adverts on Eurosport, hehe, and the commentators weren't bad, they didn't speak too much.

Very nice ceremonies. I have no more words to say, only some doubts to ask...

- Did it really start at 20:08? When I pushed the REC. button on my DVD, when the 2008 drummers started to play, it wasn't even 14:00!

- And who said it was going to last about 3 hours and a half??? I had to cut some parts by the end because I could only record 4 hours and 6 minutes!!! So I think the ceremony went on for four hours and a quarter, more or less.

However, the ceremony was brilliant, excepting its lenght :rolleyes:

And Beijing 2008 website has some "titles" for the segments. I don't know if they are the official names but here they are:

1. Welcome

2. Footprints of History

3. Dream Rings

4. The Chinese National Flag Entry

5. Raising the National Flag and Singing the National Anthem

6. Art Performance

7. Painting Scroll

8. Writing

We never have adverts on the BBC where in earth would you put them.

9. Opera

10. Silk Road

11. Music

12. Starlight

13. Nature

14. Dream

And then the speeches, the flag, the flame...

Now we have 16 days to enjoy sports! Good luck to everyone!

Scotland! :lol:

I'm worried though - Sarah Brightman and bagpipes would have featured in London - they're stealing all our ideas.

I remember Torino had a Alice in Wonderland style ceremony too.

This is what I got to see for myself. Stealing ideas, huh? Makes you wonder, if that was a bit of a quip to acknowledge the upcoming 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, even though the Chinese have never heard of it before, save the former British colony of Hong Kong.

This is what I got to see for myself. Stealing ideas, huh? Makes you wonder, if that was a bit of a quip to acknowledge the upcoming 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, even though the Chinese have never heard of it before, save the former British colony of Hong Kong.

HHm, Im thinking more War Of the Worlds than Alice in Wonderland.

It's just what I think since the CTV/Rogers consortium paid something like $90-million for the rights just to broadcast the 2010 Games, not including broadcasting operations costs.

Not be an idiot, but you could be generally right about what CTV and its partners would do to broadcast the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics TO CANADIANS AT HOME! If that scenario comes true, like what I was interpreting from the comments made from the Atlanta and SLC videos about NBC there, there will be a lot of unhappy Canadians about why the broadcast was potentially skewered like that. On top of that, it is supposed to be "Canada's Games," according to VANOC? Lots of **** would go flying to the coop for sure.

When will Kung-Fu become an Oympic Sport?

If I remembered the news right way back when, BOCOG wanted to have it and, I believe, dragon-boat racing as demonstration sports. However, since the IOC does not allow that anymore, I guess kung-fu would have to wait for a few more Olympiads, before the idea would get any attention on that front.