Gb Opening Ceremony Live Chat

Well, you see one opening ceremony you've seen them all. Nothing to make it really stand out from any other that I've seen and London won't have too much to worry about to match it. But it was still and awesome show like they all are.

The cauldron looks great and I think it's the perfect cauldron design for a bird's nest stadium. It looked as if it's being curled up at the rim of the nest... still within the "scroll theme".

Liked the drums at the start, but the rest of it was just meh ... yes looked great but too dull arty boring for my taste

Plus the athletes march went on for 52 hours and my mind has turned to mush now

But in the end just another Olympic night ruined by Channel Seven Australia as usual, glad some things never change

Well, the cauldron looked like Lillehammer's and Atlanta's got together and had a baby...a bigger baby, but I see traces of both in each.

have to agree. the actual cauldron design looks great.

Beijing did a great job. That was an impressive, joyous ceremony with overwhelming stunts and many very moving, more silent moments, despite the mass of performers.

Whether it was the best opening ceremony ever will be a matter of personal taste. I for my part liked it very much, but I suppose that nothing will beat the impact of my very first opening ceremony I watched completely, the opening ceremony of Sydney 2000. However, this ceremony touched me a little bit more than Athens' very elegant, but also avantgardistic and thus sometimes slightly aloof opening ceremony.

I hope that the mostly relaxed and friendly atmosphere of this ceremony will determine the spirit of these Games, also in terms of the attitude of the Chinese regime.

And one more thing: I found it impressive that Great Britain, France and the USA -- the countries which saw the heaviest protests against the torch relav -- got such big ovations. Maybe that is also a sign that global understanding will determine the atmosphere at these Games.

Awesome 8D, not the best of all, but they did a good job considering how dificult it was with the complicated structure of the bird nest. This lighting of the cauldron kicked Athens 2004 ass xD.

I'll give my detalied opinion of each segment of the OC soon. For now i must say the chinese have put an awesome and memorable show :D .

When i find a link to download it on high quality i'll try to make all of you know ^^

Believe it or not, most comments by the people on the web in China say the opening is "boring", "not creative enough", "like a gathering of many talent shows", "the uniform of the Chinese team likes a dish of egg with tomato", "too grateful that the five awful FUWA didn't show up in the ceremony" blar blar blar...

The 1 hour and so, cultural segments were impressive, the scroll was a nice modern alternative to a human mosaic (or human mosaic holding LED screens as well for that matter ;):P), the parade of athlete's is the biggest gripe, yes there are 2014 nations marching, but a little streamlined speed, and perhaps some proper marching would have been nice (at least for the initial march out), the footprints is a nice touch, but it seems that it could have potentially been quicker if they practiced using say volunteers providing the athlete's numbers and providing a rough estimation on how long the parade would take, 1 hour, an hour and a half at most, certainly not 2 or so hours.

The cauldron was certainly impressive, having it concealed as part of the roofing, before being unraveled like a scroll, and the torch lighter "running" past the video clips of the torch relay, truly impressive.

This may not be considered the best opening ceremony ever (that is of course taking out the parade of athletes, which shouldn't dampen the whole ceremony on account of its length), but indeed great, and one only wonders how London will top it, both in its cultural segments and the all important torch lighting.

The 1 hour and so, cultural segments were impressive, the scroll was a nice modern alternative to a human mosaic (or human mosaic holding LED screens as well for that matter ;):P), the parade of athlete's is the biggest gripe, yes there are 2014 nations marching, but a little streamlined speed, and perhaps some proper marching would have been nice (at least for the initial march out), the footprints is a nice touch, but it seems that it could have potentially been quicker if they practiced using say volunteers providing the athlete's numbers and providing a rough estimation on how long the parade would take, 1 hour, an hour and a half at most, certainly not 2 or so hours.

The cauldron was certainly impressive, having it concealed as part of the roofing, before being unraveled like a scroll, and the torch lighter "running" past the video clips of the torch relay, truly impressive.

This may not be considered the best opening ceremony ever (that is of course taking out the parade of athletes, which shouldn't dampen the whole ceremony on account of its length), but indeed great, and one only wonders how London will top it, both in its cultural segments and the all important torch lighting.

one only wonders how London will top it, both in its cultural segments and the all important torch lighting.

The London Opening will not set out to top the Beijing ceremony, I doubt they even want to. It will obviously be a lot different, but London and other future host cities will not have the money to fund such an audacious ceremony as we witnessed earlier. I think the price tag for this opening was 100 million dollars? That is an incredible amount.