Gb Opening Ceremony Live Chat

Ί'm surfing the net, and I've found this video about the lighting of the flame in Barcelona.

Was it a hoax?

watch from 1:20 to 1:25.

What do you mean by "hoax"? Everyone who watched knew that the arrow didn't go directly into the cauldron. They most likely had the fuel pumping out of the cauldron on high. So that when the arrow flew past, KABOOM, instant flame.

Ί'm surfing the net, and I've found this video about the lighting of the flame in Barcelona.

Was it a hoax?

watch from 1:20 to 1:25.

We discussed that several times before. It was obvious anyway that they wouldn't let the arrow fly directly into the cauldron, where it would have burned. And then there was the theory that there was a huge jet of gas streaming out of the cauldron, and that jet was ignited by the arrow while passing the cauldron. Those pictures, however, show that the flame shot up from the base of the cauldron and not down from the position where the arrow passed the alleged "jet of gas". So, yes -- the Olympic cauldron of Barcelona was obviously not ignited by the original Olympic Flame, but by an automatic igniter in the cauldron.

But that's actually nothing new -- especially not after the Olympic cauldron of Torino wasn't ignited by the original Olympic Flame either. And Albertville's and Lillehammer's cauldrons probably were ignited artificially, too.

in two hours the ARD starts its Opening Ceremony Program - and I got my new Flat TV-screen set up and everything ready to christen my new TV-set with the OC!

Ditto i've got my new flatscreen to christen also. only an hour or so to go. the BBC has gone mad over the coverage and the run up to the opening ceremony. Looks like they have some great souveniers / tat on sale over there!

Getting far too excited i think its also because i'm wondering what i'll feel like in 2012 when its in the UK. And breathe........

... the ARD has just started its OC program...

Ooh you've beaten us to it we've got another 40 minutes to wait grrrr!

the first live pictures out of the stadium - most of the people are already sitting in the stadium

I've just seen that on BBC News. the stadium floor is very plain and grey (bit of a blank canvas for all the fun and games shortly?) I'd still be queuing for a beer, some tatty souveniers, and hunting down my flashing light to wave lol. I was in Melbourne 2006 for the opening ceremony and the atmosphere was amazing, it must be ten times that in beijing.

Less than an hour to go.. ASTRO 825 is showing TVB's live coverage. I don't understand a single word the 9 commentators are saying but they're sure are excited... The stadium is already full!

oh wait.. they just zoomed at the "cauldron".. can only see the gas tanks... :(

TVNZ have been broadcasting for the last 2 hours, reviewing each of New Zealand's Olympic Gold Medals since 1912, and the ten Olympians of all time. Also backgrounding the city and venues, and looking at athlete profiles.

Native Beijinger and now resident of Wellington - is guest commentator Sophie Zhang, along with John MacBeth and Keith Quinn.

Their theme music for their ident is *Run* by Shihad, alot of dance music used in the preview coverage.

On the cauldron in Barcelona... a very, very close source once told me the arrow wasn't supposed to go into the cauldron at all because it risked damaging the sensitive works of the cauldron (gas feeds, etc.). It was always intended to light it with a switch.

A local media (Tencent) hae just disclosed the theme song of the games. It is called "You and Me". The song is selected from more than 80,000 pieces of work. It will be sing by famous China singer LIU Huan and a British singer (Don't know her English name, I only have her name in Chinese translation)