Another Problem For The Ioc Has Emerged...

Some people are soooooo foolish to have a death-wish. And if you can't respect the laws of the home or land you are visiting -- then that death wish should be granted.

They can't even think of something original. They are so '60s.

I wonder when the first "sit in" will start....

;)

You are right baron - they won't change a thing, but with such incidents the IOC is showed up - such protests were predictable - I hope China will not make the fault to punish them by law but banish them as soon as possible...

They are fine, they are being protected by the police, otherwise they might be kicked ass to death at some way by Beijingers. But I think Chinese are learning to be open-minded now unlike those bunch were trying to be ''heros'' but truly become the idiots of lack of vision. Why? because you raise the distrust among the common people who wish to embrace the world.

2010 World Expo in Shanghai~keep on this "hard work"

They are fine, they are being protected by the police, otherwise they might be kicked ass to death at some way by Beijingers. But I think Chinese are learning to be open-minded now unlike those bunch were trying to be ''heros'' but truly become the idiots of lack of vision. Why? because you raise the distrust among the common people who wish to embrace the world.

2010 World Expo in Shanghai~keep on this "hard work"

Actually, most of the embassies of the western countries here anticipated this would happen, and have all their Consular staff in Beijing beefed up and on alert, ready to visit their countrymen in detention when they get arrested by the Chinese police. As one senior diplomatic officer of a western country told me (I won't name country, but it was not the USA or the UK), "we wish the Chinese would just take them directly to the airport and send them on next plane out immediately, and save us the time and trouble of formal deportation paperwork..."

Actually, most of the embassies of the western countries here anticipated this would happen, and have all their Consular staff in Beijing beefed up and on alert, ready to visit their countrymen in detention when they get arrested by the Chinese police. As one senior diplomatic officer of a western country told me (I won't name country, but it was not the USA or the UK), "we wish the Chinese would just take them directly to the airport and send them on next plane out immediately, and save us the time and trouble of formal deportation paperwork..."

Germany?

{275FB771-123E-435F-A917-09496A8AC1F2}Picture.jpg

I'm sorry - I was distracted as to how Peking kept their promise to go less pollution'ist for these games with that beautiful blue sky.

As opposed to Toronto - what dreadful place.

01.jpg

<_<

Germany?

I would guess Canada, since the majority of the Great Wall Protest were Canadian.

Ironically His Holiness wants full autonomy for Tibet within a greater China has it had been for centuries before 1950, not full independence.

I think that's basically what has happened to the Brits involved

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7544416.stm

It is pretty funny how all of the backtracking and hypocrisy has progressed by all sides. Most notably people taking an interest in the Tibet issue. Would they even be talking about Tibet if Beijing didn't win the Olympics? Would China let up on any censorship issue EVER like they have with the IOC if Beijing didn't win the games? I doubt that if Toronto or Paris had won in 2001 a smorgasbord of athletes, politicians, and media would even begin to think about airing semi-nightly reports on China and its political issues. Maybe once in a while for economy's sake. There is a a lot of opportunism and fanaticism surrounding China's domestic issues, but really, wouldn't they be magnified no matter where the games go?

I can't wait until people start the worldwide speakerphoned Vancouver hubbub. Media frenzies and athlete-organized charities about drug policy and homelessness, native rights watchdog groups, Canadian economic woes and roles in overseas conflicts. It's going to be AWESOME!

It is pretty funny how all of the backtracking and hypocrisy has progressed by all sides. Most notably people taking an interest in the Tibet issue. Would they even be talking about Tibet if Beijing didn't win the Olympics? Would China let up on any censorship issue EVER like they have with the IOC if Beijing didn't win the games? I doubt that if Toronto or Paris had won in 2001 a smorgasbord of athletes, politicians, and media would even begin to think about airing semi-nightly reports on China and its political issues. Maybe once in a while for economy's sake. There is a a lot of opportunism and fanaticism surrounding China's domestic issues, but really, wouldn't they be magnified no matter where the games go?

I can't wait until people start the worldwide speakerphoned Vancouver hubbub. Media frenzies and athlete-organized charities about drug policy and homelessness, native rights watchdog groups, Canadian economic woes and roles in overseas conflicts. It's going to be AWESOME!

This is so well-said..... this is how journalism work... be cynical and aberrative on issues, or else the aricles won't sell.. patialism is a joke that only sells on text.

It's not just the West who are doing this: bear in mind that Tibet and China are both using these Games as a propaganda opportunity. What happened in Tibet earlier this year would have been reported on worldwide, Games or no Games.

There was a report today that there is some kind of agreement between FYROM and China to announce them as 'Macedonia' when they enter the stadium.

There were reactions from the Greek side, the IOC president was informed and he said that if athletes from Skopje enter the stadium and their uniforms is written simple 'Macedonia' there will be punishment for them.

Also BOCOG said that there isn't any kind of agreement and they will enter inside the stadium as Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Reporters that were inside the stadium confirm that this is how they are announced. They also said that they are sorry because in the official site they used 'Macedonian' as an adjective to decribe the country. Now it's is changed to FYROM. (ie 'Macedonian athletes' becomes 'Athletes from Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia'

So we'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

There was a report today that there is some kind of agreement between FYROM and China to announce them as 'Macedonia' when they enter the stadium.

There were reactions from the Greek side, the IOC president was informed and he said that if athletes from Skopje enter the stadium and their uniforms is written simple 'Macedonia' there will be punishment for them.

Also BOCOG said that there isn't any kind of agreement and they will enter inside the stadium as Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Reporters that were inside the stadium confirm that this is how they are announced. They also said that they are sorry because in the official site they used 'Macedonian' as an adjective to decribe the country. Now it's is changed to FYROM. (ie 'Macedonian athletes' becomes 'Athletes from Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia'

So we'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Y'know, this has to be one of the all-time "who cares" issues outside of Greece and Macedonia (there, I said it). I mean, really, getting all upset over what a country wants to call itself... You'd think that grown-ups would have something more important to worry about.

You can't forget the seal hunt.

Y'know, this has to be one of the all-time "who cares" issues outside of Greece and Macedonia (there, I said it). I mean, really, getting all upset over what a country wants to call itself... You'd think that grown-ups would have something more important to worry about.

Well, yes, it's a very important for Greece and FYROM, otherwise it wouldn't go on for years. One of the two parts would step behind. But of course what do you expect from a country with 200 years of history? An attidute like yours dude.

Well, yes, it's a very important for Greece and FYROM, otherwise it wouldn't go on for years. One of the two parts would step behind. But of course what do you expect from a country with 200 years of history? An attidute like yours dude.

1. Greece objects to the name because they say it can be used to claim Greek territory

2. Macedonia has declared it has no interest in Greek territory

3. The whole issue is pointless

4. North America has 500 years of European history, and 1000's of years of pre-columbian history, culture and tradition

It's more complicated. It's not just the name. Surf the net and see what they really want.

And it's getting more interesting:

Press Release

Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:16 PM

The President of theHellenic Olympic Committee, Mr. Minos Kyriakou, after FYROM’s intention to enter the Stadium under the name of Macedonia, during the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games, stated:

“Such intentions are, indeed, a jesting remark. This is impossible to happen as the official name of the country is Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia, already recognized by the International Olympic Committee and the United Nations Organisation. I do not think they will dare change the existing status. The IOC Vice President, Mr. Lambis Nikolaou and myself have warned the IOC and the Beijing Organizing Committee about it and we suggested ways to avoid the trap. Nevertheless, we do not relax in our vigilance. I hope that they will avoid any kind of “misunderstanding”.

Regarding the entry of FYROM as “Macedonia” in the official website of “Beijing 2008”, Mr. Kyriakou stated:

“There has been an official protest to the BOCOG President, Mr. Liu Qi, while there has been an intervention by Mr. Lambis Nikolaou to the IOC President Dr. Jacques Rogge, who has reassured us that there is no way that anything would happen during the Opening Ceremony”.