Eruedan Memorial Medal

I would like to introduce an Eruedan Memorial Medal

eruedanbanner25on.jpg

This medal should be awarded by us GB-Members after one edition of Olympic Games has ended - there should be a gold EMM, a silver EMM and a bronze EMM in two different categories:

- the most fair athlete at the Olympic Games

- the most reputable GB-member, who rendered outstanding services here on GamesBids

This time should be the first time - after the Bejing Olympics we will collect proposals for the two categories and we will have a vote afterwards...

Recommendations for the procedures of the Eruedan Memorial Medal are welcome!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I would like to introduce an Eruedan Memorial Medal

eruedanbanner25on.jpg

This medal should be awarded by us GB-Members after one edition of Olympic Games has ended - there should be a gold EMM, a silver EMM and a bronze EMM in two different categories:

- the most fair athlete at the Olympic Games

- the most reputable GB-member, who rendered outstanding services here on GamesBids

This time should be the first time - after the Bejing Olympics we will collect proposals for the two categories and we will have a vote afterwards...

Recommendations for the procedures of the Eruedan Memorial Medal are welcome!

Hmmm, perhaps we could find a permanent spot on the site to honour the winners. I like the logo.

I like the logo.

"Vol" made the logo when we learned about Eruedan's accident and his death - I just remembered it!

Hmmm, perhaps we could find a permanent spot on the site to honour the winners.

That would be great, R.!!! I think it is time to create a "GB-prize" and I believe the Beijing Olympics are a good time to introduce it - furthermore we should keep Eruedan in our memories! He was a great guy!

Dear GB-members,

please watch the Beijing Olympics carefully - this time it is the first time that the athlete, who showed real sportmanship during the Olympic Games, will be honoured by the GB "Eruedan Memorial Medal"...

After the Beijing Olympics are closed the GB-members are allowed to propose athletes - after the proposal time we will elect the first winner of the "ERUEDAN MEMORIAL MEDAL"....

Furthermore there will be another category - who is the most current reputable GB-member? Who rendered outstanding services here on GamesBids in the last year?

P.S.: Thanks GBModerator to pin this thread!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Would you provide some background please? Who, when ,what, why.....

Who was this, and what are the reasons that you are proposing this?

Would you provide some background please? Who, when ,what, why.....

Who was this, and what are the reasons that you are proposing this?

Eruedan was a member of this website, who posted regularly here - when one day his brother came into the forum and told us that he died in a car accident - since he knew that his brother liked GamesBids he came into our forum to let us know about the accident - that was in 2006 - the Beijing Olympics are the first Olympic Games after Eruedans death...

Eruedan was a member of this website, who posted regularly here - when one day his brother came into the forum and told us that he died in a car accident - since he knew that his brother liked GamesBids he came into our forum to let us know about the accident - that was in 2006 - the Beijing Olympics are the first Olympic Games after Eruedans death...

Ah, yes. I remember that the brother came on and told us that. I didn't remember/know the name of the fellow.

Thanks.

I am glad about the positive reaction - something about the procedures - I am not sure if we should do two different kinds of prizes - one for the fairest athlete and one for the most reputable member...

Maybe it is better to make just one prize for the athlete, who showed real sportmanship during the Games only...

What is your opinion?

I like the idea of a tribute to Eruedan through the games. How about this suggestion: Two medals (with Gold, Silver and Bronze winners) in the following categories:

* GamesBidders' most memorable or "best" moment of the games (be it a part of the ceremonies, the torch lighting, some really great achievement on the field, some iconic moment of the games etc);

* Best post by a GamesBidder during the games (a good ne-liner, a great impassioned argument etc); and

* The "Sexiest" Athlete of the Games.

Edited by Sir Roltel

... very good ideas, Roland - that would mean that we will have four categories:

* The most fairest athlete, who showed real sportmanship during the Games

* GamesBidders' most memorable or "best" moment of the games (be it a part of the ceremonies, the torch lighting, some really great achievement on the field, some iconic moment of the games etc)

* Best post by a GamesBidder during the games (a good ne-liner, a great impassioned argument etc)

* The "Sexiest" Athlete of the Game

For every category we will have simultanously an election and the first three in every category will receive a gold, silver and bronze ERUEDAN MEMORIAL MEDAL

Welcome back, Rol. We missed ya!!

Well, there are going to be 2 sets of MEDALS, I want one with a CAT on it. Why should it be a dumb dog? That's really discriminatory!!

mhh - I had the approach that it should be a tribute for Eruedan - and therefore I think the Eruedan Memorial Medal should have his original avatar on it

I would like to have the imput of others - what is your opinion ?

...maybe you could introduce another competition...

hundkatzaugenzuzr0.jpg

Okay, my first nominations:

For most memorable moment of the games:

The countdown and drumming segment of the opening

and

The Flying Cauldron Lighter

And for best post:

Pyrros's summing up and verdict less than a quarter through the ceremony:

I'm sleeping. Very boring, except two or three good parts.

I look forward for the parade!

Not a single breathing taking picture....

Edited by Sir Roltel

I don't know if this will fit your categories but I wanted to mention Michaela Breeze(lovin the name).

BEIJING (AFP) — Lone British weightlifter Michaela Breeze gritted her way through the pain barrier Tuesday as she completed her Olympic campaign in Beijing despite an injury incurred during an early lift that appeared to have dashed her hopes.

The physical education teacher from Devon, south-west England, staged a dramatic recovery and elected to continue after it had been announced she was "injured", having missed her turn to complete her three snatch attempts after two successful heaves of 80kg and 85kg.

The 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medallist was down and out and face down on the floor while her coach massaged her back and rivals walked past for their turn ib the platform.

But on her return from treatment the pony-tailed 29-year-old converted 80kg and 90kg in the clean and jerk and, as the announcer urged the crowd to show its appreciation for her "plucky spirit", completed her final attempt for 100kg for a total 185kg.

She began crying as she triumphantly held the barbell above her head to roars from the crowd, and later collapsed onto the floor sobbing.

She later waved to the crowd as she exited the stage.

AFP

mhh - I had the approach that it should be a tribute for Eruedan - and therefore I think the Eruedan Memorial Medal should have his original avatar on it

I would like to have the imput of others - what is your opinion ?

...maybe you could introduce another competition...

hundkatzaugenzuzr0.jpg

I agree CAF that the medal should have the original dog in it! I like that medal, you shouldn't change it!

• Like 1

Can I put forward a suggestion? It doesn't necessarily fall into your other categories, as it doesn't show the sense of fair play or particularly the most memorable moment. Perhaps there should be a medal for Olympic spirit, i.e. those athletes that embody the true spirit of what the games really mean etc. For example, our 1 GB weightlifter who despite knowing she had no chance of a medal fit, let alone injured, was injured but she continued to compete despite knowing it was pointless. She cried and sobbed whilst she was lifting, was in a lot of pain visibly and got a huge reaction from the crowd. Her explanation imbetween sobs in the intreview afterwards - she had been training and working for this for 4 years, there was nobody in the GB team to take her place, and as it was the Olympics 'pain means nothing'. Watch out for reports on it. Her attitude truly captures what it really means to 'compete' (not just win) in the Olympics...

There are plenty of examples from other teams, not just from the GB team...

eruedanbanner25on.jpg

Very good idea, beth - here are the nominations for the EMM 2008 so far:

* Olympic Spirit

• Lone British weightlifter Michaela Breeze gritted her way through the pain barrier Tuesday as she completed her Olympic campaign in Beijing despite an injury incurred during an early lift that appeared to have dashed her hopes.

* GamesBidders' most memorable or "best" moment of the games

• The countdown and drumming segment of the opening
  • The Flying Cauldron Lighter

* Best post by a GamesBidder during the games

• Pyrros's summing up and verdict less than a quarter through the ceremony

The nominations so far - after the Olympic Flame is extinguished at August 24th, 2008 we will have another day to nominate

* Olympic Spirit

• Lone British weightlifter Michaela Breeze gritted her way through the pain barrier Tuesday as she completed her Olympic campaign in Beijing despite an injury incurred during an early lift that appeared to have dashed her hopes.
  • The people and volunters of Beijing.

* GamesBidders' most memorable or "best" moment of the games

• The countdown and drumming segment of the opening
  • The Flying Cauldron Lighter

* Best post by a GamesBidder during the games

• Pyrros's summing up and verdict less than a quarter through the ceremony

• "Hot Bods of the Games" thread