I Can't Help But Feel I Shouldn't Watch These Games

Lee

Ha~I already know that, and that's why I pour out this word to share with somebody~And again Karma is an universal thing`I don't care whether who say it and what to say it about~

But, but....MJ, the Games' slogan is: One World, One Dream.

I don't see a mention there of "Karma"? :blink: U r making this up, right?

China is far from being an 'ideal' state; the regime there does a lot of very bad things to the people within its borders. However, anyone with any grasp on recent history in the region can see that China is changing - and changing for the better. It's not changing just because of the Olympics (although I'm sure history will show 2008 as a benchmark in China's gradual reform), but because of its rapid economic growth and the fact that they need the rest of the world as much as the rest of the world needs China.

The handling of the consequences of the earthquake earlier this year can be seen as an example of the change within China - the magnitude of the quake, number of casualties, damage to infrastructure, etc were all acurately reported by journalists who were able to report with relatively few restrictions. Contrast this with the Chinese quake of 1976 where the outside world were left completely unaware of the number of dead and the actions of the Burmese government after the storms there.

One can also contrast China with Russia the host of the 2014 Winter Games - at least China is slowly moving in the right direction - if I was going to individually boycott an Olympics I would choose that one.

I think those who won't be watching these Games will be missing the best Games ever - the short clips of the Opening Ceremony look amazing, the athletes village is being praised as the best ever - there's no reason to suggest why the organisation of the rest of the Games will be any different.

I don't get a boycott of those games. Sure, the Chinese regime is way back when it comes to human rights. But its not stagnant: its moving in the right direction. Granted, China is moving slowly, but its moving none the less, and at a pace that the country is confortable whit. The Beijing Olympics can serve as a double purpose: as a celebration of the progresses that China made, but also as a reminder of the progress that still have to be done.

And if you REALLY want to hurt China, boycott there goods. Good luck whit that one, by the way...

I think those who won't be watching these Games will be missing the best Games ever - the short clips of the Opening Ceremony look amazing, the athletes village is being praised as the best ever - there's no reason to suggest why the organisation of the rest of the Games will be any different.

I think what makes "the best Games ever", what made Barcelona and Sydney so special, is not how good and organized everything was. Of course those things are needed, but it's things that the organizers can't plan, guarantee, or design that really makes things stand out - it's how everyone involved, athletes and spectators, embrace the Olympic spirit. How the city is naturally engulfed in an electric atmosphere like no other for two weeks... It's the intangibles, basically.

And with all this drama, I'm afraid to say that Beijing 2008 always had little chance of being the "the best Games ever".

I have dinner plans Friday night so this will be the first opening I have not watched live since 1976.

In fact, this is the first time my Olympic Flag is not going up the pole since 1992.

I will DVR it but I just don't care.

I am hoping Vancouver and London will save the games from what they have become. A repeat of Berlin and Moscow.

Olympic champion Joey Cheek had his visa revoked today by the Chinese Govt.

The U.S. cyclist come under fire because they wore face masks into the nasty Chineese air. Hell, I would do the same. Have you seen the crap still floating about Peking? (Ooops - I meant Bejing - sorry)

Preliminary reports show that a protester today at the Chineese Consult in San Francisco was almost killed by people from consult (this is preliminary)

:angry:<_<

Edited by LA84

I have dinner plans Friday night so this will be the first opening I have not watched live since 1976.

In fact, this is the first time my Olympic Flag is not going up the pole since 1992.

I will DVR it but I just don't care.

I am hoping Vancouver and London will save the games from what they have become. A repeat of Berlin and Moscow.

The U.S. cyclist come under fire because they wore face masks into the nasty Chineese air. Hell, I would do the same. Have you seen the crap still floating about Peking? (Ooops - I meant Bejing - sorry)

Preliminary reports show that a protester today at the Chineese Consult in San Francisco was almost killed by people from consult (this is preliminary)

:angry:<_<

I sould suggest their upside wears masks as their downside wearing condoms~ A double protection.

Well, altruistic and admirable as his motivations are, they are his own agenda which is in conflict with the host (gov't) of these Olympics Games.

For somebody dealing in int'l causes, he's very naive if he thought that Beijing would allow someone who would embarrass them to come in. If he were to come to my house and embarrass me, I too would ban him. Duh!

People like him, well-intentioned as they are, still haven't learned the art of finesse and that in-your-face doesn't work w/ entities like China.

Well, altruistic and admirable as his motivations are, they are his own agenda which is in conflict with the host (gov't) of these Olympics Games.

For somebody dealing in int'l causes, he's very naive if he thought that Beijing would allow someone who would embarrass them to come in. If he were to come to my house and embarrass me, I too would ban him. Duh!

People like him, well-intentioned as they are, still haven't learned the art of finesse and that in-your-face doesn't work w/ entities like China.

HORSE FRITERS (Thank you Col. Potter, MASH 4077th)

Then China has no place on the world stage.

IF - this were 2012 and Britain kicked ANYONE out of London then they would be vilified. What if some activisted group wants to protest the clubbing of seals? Does one think they will have their passports denied in Vancouver? Not.

This is BS. "Respecting" China's government's recent actions goes totally against what they promised in 2001.

HORSE FRITERS (Thank you Col. Potter, MASH 4077th)

Then China has no place on the world stage.

IF - this were 2012 and Britain kicked ANYONE out of London then they would be vilified. What if some activisted group wants to protest the clubbing of seals? Does one think they will have their passports denied in Vancouver? Not.

This is BS. "Respecting" China's government's recent actions goes totally against what they promised in 2001.

well, that's not true... all the G8's have declined entries for activist against free trade/ internationalization during the annual G8 meetings. Protests also have be to done in designated area after advanced application. It's all the same everyone, but some do it with more PR tactics and some have not picked them up yet.

China NEVER promised anything when it was awarded 2008. It was the IOC's hope that things would loosen up when the Games were awarded to Beijing.

To me that is...after-the-Games. I certainly didn't think China would change overnight.

You're just not into these Games. So I think that's coloring your judgment. And if they changed, would you have gone over and paid a goodwill visit? <_<

It's totally different if you protest from outside than from entering Chinese territory and giving them your 2 cents. Bush has just arrived in China and he, as will the other "guests" -- was/will be told to mind his/their own business. Can't get any plainer than that.

So what's Cheek going to do about it now? Throw a hissy fit? :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV