Flag Bearers

arwebb

OMG Baron - I think this is the first time I have to disagree with your wisdom :o

It just rakes my ass that it is considered more PC to have a political figure carry our flag than an actual American, who competed and won 9 medals between '84 - '92, and 2000 and is now the oldest Olympic swimmer ever .

Let's just have Beckham and Posh carry in the torch if Chicago wins 2016. If her fake boobs can hold up, of cours. ;)

I didn't say I agreed with the choice. I merely reported it.

The thing is, Lomong kinda campaigned for the spot. Dara Torres might not have been interested -- so she may not have wanted to do it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Zealands Flag bearer has just been named! It is 3 time world champion mahe drysdale!

this from stuff.co.nz

Mighty Mahe to carry the flag

No pressure then. Mahe Drysdale, the man at the head of New Zealand's Beijing gold rush, will also carry the flag at Friday night's opening ceremony. Then race just a few hours later.

The triple world rowing champion was unveiled at a special team function in Beijing tonight as the latest Kiwi sporting legend to be handed the honour of carrying the New Zealand flag at an Olympic opening ceremony.

He will lead the New Zealand team's entry into the stadium at what is expcted to be a spectacular opening to these 29th Olympic Games at Beijing's already iconic Bird's Nest National Stadium.

The surprising part of Drysdale's heavily deserved honour, greeted warmly by his fellow Kiwi athletes, comes not so much in his selection, for few New Zealanders have graced the international sporting stage like he has over the past three or four years.

But it's that he's prepared to march at all, with the rowing team having indicated earlier they would not be participating in the ceremony because most of them open their Olympic campaign with heats on Saturday.

The opening ceremony is due to begin at 8.08pm as Beijing officially welcomes the world to its Olympics. But the Kiwis aren't due to enter the stadium until near the end of a ceremony expected to extend to four hours. They are due to be the 189th team into the stadium, out of the 205 participating countries.

He is then due back on the water at 3pm on Saturday for his opening heat of a single sculls competition he is a warm favourite in.

It's a huge honour for the gritty Cambridge oarsman who had to overcome a massive challenge from rowing legend Rob Waddell for his single sculls spot for Beijing.

Drysdale and Waddell were pitched head to head over a thrilling summer duel to decide New Zealand's representative at the Olympics, with the 2005-07 world champion eventually prevailing in a sapping contest that captivated the nation.

The 29-year-old Melbourne-born Kiwi has dominated the world single sculls scene since succeeding Waddell as the king of the solo event.

He is at his second Olympics, having competed in the coxless four in Athens, and is a warm favourite to add Olympic gold to his trio of world titles.

Drysdale is a two-time New Zealand sportsman of the year and in 2006 claimed the supreme honour when he named Halberg Award winner.

"We have chosen someone who will inspire, who will never give up," New Zealand team chef de mission Dave Currie said.

"Clearly Mahe is a world champion and has demonstrated he can compete at the highest levels of international competition, but it's about personal qualities too."

Drysdale was considered a dark horse in most tipster's flag-bearer predictions, with triathlete Bevan Docherty, veteran swimmer Paul Kent, athlete Valerie Vili and even kayaker Ben Fouhy considered top prospects.

A Stuff poll favoured Vili over equestrian great Mark Todd, with Drysdale garnering just 5.1% of the vote.

Most of the New Zealand team in Beijing attended tonight's function at the Hot Spring Leisure centre, near the Olympic Village.

There were addresses by Governor General, the Hon Anand Satyanand, as well as Athens gold medalists Sarah Ulmer and Hamish Carter. The evening was signed off with a performance from Dave Dobbyn.

Past Flag Bearers (at Olympic Games opening ceremonies):

2004 Athens: Beatrice Faumuina (track and field)

2000 Sydney: Blyth Tait* (equestrian)

1996 Atlanta: Barbara Kendall* (sailing)

1992 Barcelona: Mark Todd* (equestrian)

1988 Seoul: Ian Ferguson* (kayaking)

1984 Los Angeles: John Walker* (track and field)

1980 Moscow: Brian Newth (modern pentathlon)

1976 Montreal: David Aspin (wrestling)

1972 Munich: David Aspin (wrestling)

1968 Mexico City: Don Oliver (weightlifting)

1964 Tokyo: Peter Snell* (track and field)

1960 Rome: Les Mills (track and field)

1956 Melbourne: Ritchie Johnston (cycling)

1952 Helsinki: Harold Cleghorn (weightlifting)

1948 London: Harold Nelson (track and field)

1936 Berlin: Jack Lovelock* (track and field)

1932 Los Angeles: John MacDonald (rowing)

1928 Amsterdam Arthur Porritt (track and field)

1924 Paris: Arthur Porritt (track and field)

1920 Antwerp: Harry Wilson (track and field)

1912 Stockholm: Malcolm Champion* (swimming)

* denotes Olympic gold medallist

Hey,

I am proud to announce that Australia's flag bearer will be, no other then, 3 times gold medalist ......

James Tomkins

Here is some info on him from the Australia Olympic Website....

http://www.olympics.com.au/TheTeam/TheTeam...5&teamId=17

Can't wait to see him and the rest of the Aussie team march into the 'Birdnest', tommorow night..... :lol:

For China

Yao Ming

12155385.jpg

it means that Yao Ming won't light the cauldron

but it's a great honor for Yao to carry the Chinese flag

I can't imagine the excitement of the Chinese crowd on Birds Nest when China delegation enters in the stadium tomorrow . It will be one of the most amazing moments of the Ceremony .

As an American, I don't have a problem with Lopez Lomong carrying the flag for my country at the Olympics. Sure, I'd like it to have been Brian McBride, only because I'm a soccer/football fan in America (there's not that many of us) and I thought that his 10+ years on the US National team, including playing in 3 World Cups and being the only American to score in two (1998 & 2002) would make him worthy of the honor, especially since he's captaining the US team this time. I know the soccer preliminaries have already started and for all I know the soccer team won't even be in Beijing tomorrow, but all that aside I thought he should have been flag bearer.

However, the issue I do have though is that by having a guy who is walking representation of the genocide in Darfur carry the US flag, it's basically a political statement. We all know the Chinese support the Sudanese military and their actions against the people in Darfur, and we also know that the Olympics aren't supposed to be politicized or anything like that, and yet by having this guy carry the flag makes is entirely political.

Without digging a hole I can't get out of here with this, I just feel that in order to avoid any political controversy or any of that stuff that shouldn't be at the Olympics to begin with, somebody else should have been given the honor of carrying the flag. On the surface I do think that Lomong is living proof of the "American Dream" and everything and because of that it definitely makes him deserving and all, but the political statement the US is making here will no doubt overshadow that and turn it into something it shouldn't be.

As an American, I don't have a problem with Lopez Lomong carrying the flag for my country at the Olympics. Sure, I'd like it to have been Brian McBride, only because I'm a soccer/football fan in America (there's not that many of us) and I thought that his 10+ years on the US National team, including playing in 3 World Cups and being the only American to score in two (1998 & 2002) would make him worthy of the honor, especially since he's captaining the US team this time. I know the soccer preliminaries have already started and for all I know the soccer team won't even be in Beijing tomorrow, but all that aside I thought he should have been flag bearer.

However, the issue I do have though is that by having a guy who is walking representation of the genocide in Darfur carry the US flag, it's basically a political statement. We all know the Chinese support the Sudanese military and their actions against the people in Darfur, and we also know that the Olympics aren't supposed to be politicized or anything like that, and yet by having this guy carry the flag makes is entirely political.

Without digging a hole I can't get out of here with this, I just feel that in order to avoid any political controversy or any of that stuff that shouldn't be at the Olympics to begin with, somebody else should have been given the honor of carrying the flag. On the surface I do think that Lomong is living proof of the "American Dream" and everything and because of that it definitely makes him deserving and all, but the political statement the US is making here will no doubt overshadow that and turn it into something it shouldn't be.

well then, blame the democratic process and the captains of the various US teams (McBride himself included) who ALWAYS elect the chosen flag-bearer.

I think the Darfur story is soooooooooooo overplayed.

There's still no word at who will be the Turkish flag bearer. Knowing us, we probably wont decide ours until seconds before we're called to march out into the stadium. <_<

So no Korea's marching together then... sad.

i'm actually relieved this is not happening this year. in Sydney it was a momentous breakthrough but its getting tired now and i consider this a big publicity stunt.

i'm actually relieved this is not happening this year. in Sydney it was a momentous breakthrough but its getting tired now and i consider this a big publicity stunt.

That's true. Already in Athens, the applause was embarrassingly weak when the Korean teams entered the stadium. Already back then, it was no sensation anymore that such a joint parade is possible.

Roger Federe will be Switzerland's flag bearer. I wonder if Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will be Spain and Serbia's flag bearer.

Nadal won't be Spanish flagbearer, I don't know if Djokovic will be Serbia's.

Spanish flagbearer will be canoe's David Cal, 2004 Olympic champion. At first it was going to be gymnastics' Gervasio Deferr, but he didn't want to carry the flag because his competition started the next day.

I don't understand this "number of strokes" business because if you will look at the listing in wikepedia, you will note that

- FYR of Macedonia

- North Korea

- St. Vincent & the Grenadines

- British Virgin Islands

as having the MOST strokes (at least, to me). So why aren't they at the end of the line?

I don't understand this "number of strokes" business because if you will look at the listing in wikepedia, you will note that

- FYR of Macedonia

- North Korea

- St. Vincent & the Grenadines

- British Virgin Islands

as having the MOST strokes (at least, to me). So why aren't they at the end of the line?

It's the number of strokes of the first character.

Ah. Capisce, Filipe. Why didn't they say that in the first place?

Grazie.

You're welcome. I believe many millions around the world still don't understand "how the hell did these guys order the countries?!" :lol: One has to admit it's nothing we're used to in previous OCs. Greek alphabeth ordering was already a novelty four years ago, but this surpassed it by miles.

Those rings are floating now ! Whar are they ? Kites ? Lanterns ?
the floating rings were simply unexpected.. how did they do that?

Our flag bearer, Nelson Évora, moments before entering the stadium (sorry about the size and quality, but this is as exclusive we can get :P)

Nelson%20Evora%20portabandeira.jpg