Flag Bearers

arwebb

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, the US flag bearer will be an ahtlete named, Lopez Lomong.... he was one of the 'Lost boys of Sudan'

here is the link,

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug...p&type=lgns

I think that this is a great and unexpected choice....

Oh geez :rolleyes:

I guess I have to take back what I said about Canada's choice. If this wasn't a marketing choice I don't know what is.

Bob Costas will get a stiffy when he chatters on about this PC choice. <_<

Three-time medalist at the Olympic Games, Robert Scheidt wil carry the Brazilian flag at the Opening ceremony.

00750_142x190.jpg

130095_m03.jpg

He won two gold medals for Brazil (Atlanta and Athens) and one silver medal, in Sydney , all in laser class at sailing competitions . Now he'll try to keep the good winds with him but this time in Star Class, competing with fellow Brazilian Bruno Prada .

Just read this on the London 2012 Blog about Foster

Mark Foster to carry the flag for Team GB

The 2012 Editor, 6 Aug 2008

Swimmer Mark Foster has been selected to carry the flag for Team GB at the Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony.

At 38 Mark is the oldest member of the Swimming squad - this will be Mark's 50th Olympic Games.

London 2012 wishes Mark all the best...

His 50th Games!!!!!!!!!!! He'll need a wheelchair me thinks!

Ilias Iliadis of Nikos, gold Olympian in Judo will be the flag bearer of the Hellenic Team

iliasiliadisjv8.jpg

What a shame for Greece, someone from ex USSR country ending in -stan to carry the Greek flag.

Too bad that the athletics start in 2nd week, so Athanasia Tsoumeleka said no, and also Sofia Bekatorou said no because she competes next day 500km away from Beijing.

Bad choice.

What a shame for Greece, someone from ex USSR country ending in -stan to carry the Greek flag.

Too bad that the athletics start in 2nd week, so Athanasia Tsoumeleka said no, and also Sofia Bekatorou said no because she competes next day 500km away from Beijing.

Bad choice.

<_<<_<<_<

_44554575_4dae3662-437e-452e-b8e3-cb405507e0d0.jpg

I'm really pleased for Mark Foster he's a great ambassador for the UK. He's represented Great Britain for more than two decades on a national level.

hi rob i've been under the radar lol. i was a gamesbid voyeur for about fours years until i've started contributing lol!!

USA chooses Lopez Lomong, a 23-year old Sudanese-born naturalized-American T&F athlete.

So much for the Michael Phelps - Dara Torres choices.

Also, unlike another country, the US relishes its diversity and DOES NOT mind giving the flag-bearing honor to NOT even a natural-born American. And he was voted on by the various team captains -- very Gree....err, democractic of us!! ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Roger Federe will be Switzerland's flag bearer. I wonder if Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will be Spain and Serbia's flag bearer. 'm also insulted that the Philippines has chosen a professional athlete who hasn't competed in the Olympics to carry the flag. what an insult to the competitors. Regarding Venezuela, i wonder if the newly crowned Miss Universe, Dayana Mendoza will be in Beijing? For sure Miss World 2007 from China Zi Lin Zhang will be given a part in the ceremonies.

USA chooses Lopez Lomong, a 23-year old Sudanese-born naturalized-American T&F athlete.

So much for the Michael Phelps - Dara Torres choices.

Also, unlike another country, the US relishes its diversity and DOES NOT mind giving the flag-bearing honor to NOT even a natural-born American. And he was voted on by the various team captains -- very Gree....err, democractic of us!! ;)

OMG Baron - I think this is the first time I have to disagree with your wisdom :o

It just rakes my ass that it is considered more PC to have a political figure carry our flag than an actual American, who competed and won 9 medals between '84 - '92, and 2000 and is now the oldest Olympic swimmer ever .

Let's just have Beckham and Posh carry in the torch if Chicago wins 2016. If her fake boobs can hold up, of cours. ;)