Flag Bearers

arwebb

I was thinking about who might be in the running to carry the Union flag on Friday afternoon (our time) and the only candidate that stands out is Ben Ainslie. He's at his fourth Games and looking to win his third gold medal. No-one else comes close for me. Having said that, I now fully expect to be wrong.

So, who'll carry your nation's flag? And who might you want to carry it instead?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Canada, Adam Van Koeverden.....Canadian flatwater kayak racer and reigning Olympic and World champion in K-1 500 m and world record holder in the K-1 500. At the 2004 Summer Olympics Van Koeverden won two medals, including a gold in the K-1 500 m and a bronze in the K-1 1000 m. He was Canada's flag bearer at the closing ceremonies.

AdamVanKoeverden1.jpg

I predict Michael Phelps or Dana Torres for the United States.

Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton!!

j/k. :)

I don't think it would be Phelps or Torres. Plus the US swim team is training in Singapore -- and probably won't get to Beijing until a day or so before their competition.

Probably like the others, an older Olympian (whose last Olympics this might be) and whose competition won't start until Week 2.

One addition: Also Ralf Schumann (shooting, triple Olympic Champion 1992/1996/2004), Kathrin Boron (rowing, quadruple Olympic Champion 1992/1996/2000/2004) and Christian Schwarzer (handball, silver medallist 2004) are candidates for carrying the flag.

But probably it will be none of those mentioned. ;)

For Canada, Adam Van Koeverden.....Canadian flatwater kayak racer and reigning Olympic and World champion in K-1 500 m and world record holder in the K-1 500. At the 2004 Summer Olympics Van Koeverden won two medals, including a gold in the K-1 500 m and a bronze in the K-1 1000 m. He was Canada's flag bearer at the closing ceremonies.

AdamVanKoeverden1.jpg

Is it also a link with Vancouver 2010? Vancouver was a Dutch city in the past, called Coevoorden or Koeverden. Coincidence or is there a link with the next Winter Games?

I don't think it would be Phelps or Torres. Plus the US swim team is training in Singapore -- and probably won't get to Beijing until a day or so before their competition.

....Phelps, Torres, and the rest of the US Swimming Team have already arrived in Beijing and trained at the Water Cube.

It definitely won't be Phelps - he has heats on Saturday and finals on Sunday. I think it could be Torres though - the heats for the only individual event that she is competing in, the 50M Freestyle, don't start until a week after the ceremony and the final isn't until the next Sunday.

Probably like the others, an older Olympian (whose last Olympics this might be) and whose competition won't start until Week 2

Maybe. Maybe not. I mean we did go with Dawn Stanley, a basketball player in Athens.

By the way, I'm not Russian or anything, but I really would have loved to see Maria Sharapova at the OC as the Russian flag-bearer. Shame she won't be able to compete at all. :(

Last month, Canal 13 and the Chilean Olympic Comittee (COCh) made a contest to select the Chilean flag bearer. The winner was Fernando González, winner of the gold medal in doubles men tennis and bronze medallist in singles in Athens 2004, runner-up of the 2007 Australian Grand Slam. Currently, he is 15th in the ATP rank, and his best position was the 3rd in 2007.

The results of the contest was:

Fernando González (tennis): 56,76%

Natalia Ducó (athletics): 27,81%

Nicolás Massú (tennis): 6,02%

Soraya Jadue (rowing): 5,8%

Kristel Köbrich (swimming): 3,61%

fgonzalez_092107_300.jpg

Yesterday, in a ceremony at La Moneda Palace, President Michelle Bachelet give the official flag to the Chilean delegation leaded by Neven Ilic, President of the COCh.

040808-01-01-m.JPG

Dara Torres seems to be the sentimental pick to carry the Stars & Stripes into the stadium on Friday... after all it'll give Bob Costas something to talk about throughout the entire bloody ceremony at the expense of every other nation there.

Personally, I'd like it to be Brian McBride (football/soccer -- one of the most under-appreciated athletes in American sport and one of the foundations for the US National team for over a decade) or Jason Kidd (basketball -- only member of 2008 Olympic squad to have won a Gold Medal).

Australia's flag bearer will be known tommorow, during or after the Australia Vs Serbia, soccer preliminary match on Thursday evening, so unless some one beats me to it, I will post who it is after I see who it is...... my guess is that it won't be a swimmer......

Good choice!

It is an "unusual" choice - normally are athletes taken, who were successful at previous Olympic Games - Dirk Nowitzki is for the first time at Olympic Games, but the DOSB (the German NOC) said, that he represents a good type of athlete - he is successful, but he "keeps both feet on the ground..."

He shaves his pits!

Must be a btm :P

I haven't known yet, that there is a player position in Basketball, which is called "btm" - I knew "cntr" only

;)

Is it also a link with Vancouver 2010? Vancouver was a Dutch city in the past, called Coevoorden or Koeverden. Coincidence or is there a link with the next Winter Games?

It has more to do with coincidence. He's the poster boy of the Canadian Olympic Team, the most successful athlete for Canada in Athens and the most successful athlete since those Games. He has won a ton of world titles.

It has more to do with coincidence. He's the poster boy of the Canadian Olympic Team, the most successful athlete for Canada in Athens and the most successful athlete since those Games. He has won a ton of world titles.

Yeah, plus he's very attractive and his NAME of course, advertises Vancouver 2010. That is great grist for all the announcers and commentators. Imagine all the copy and free press Vancouver will get from that!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

He's young - he's attractive. He has a Dutch name and nobody has heard of him before.

This is a Bob Costas moment to advertise Vancouver and block out some of the more uninteresting Parade of Nations.

He's young - he's attractive. He has a Dutch name and nobody has heard of him before.

This is a Bob Costas moment to advertise Vancouver and block out some of the more uninteresting Parade of Nations.

Many Canadians have.