Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenadian

A Decent Interval

A lot of the debate on these threads concerns how soon after holding a games can a country realistically consider bidding again (eg _ Is 2020 too soon for Melbourne to bid after Sydney? Is 2012 too soon after Bercelona for Madrid to stand a chance? Does the USA get too many games in too short a time? Does holding a recent Winter Olympics affect the chances for a country to win a bid for the Summer Games?).

I'm just wondering what the members here think is a decent or realistic interval for countries to have to wait before they can expect to host a games again? And are there exceptions for some countries compared to others?

IMO, considering the scores of cities/countries lining up to want a chance to host a games, 30-40 years is not an unreasonable time span for countries to wait for a chance at hosting a games (longer if they are proposing holding the games again in the same city).

It's not a question of bidding but hosting! The selected host city can actually bid for the next Olympics if they want to it's just that there is almost no chance for it to win.... they can win if there are no other cities bidding, or if they can have a STRONG case to plead to the IOC on why their successive hosting can do SO MUCH GOOD to the Olympic movement...

In terms of bidding.... go ahead and bid.. no one is stopping you... the IOC loves it... it brings them money...

Actually, my bad ... I did mean hosting (one ends up using both terms so much on this board that I tend to get mixed up sometimes).

I think a 20 year period is the minimum a country should have to wait before hosting again.

And I also believe that the Summer and Winter Games should be considered separatly.  There are more countries/cities that can host a Summer Games than can host a Winter Games and the two are quite different.

The precedent though is 12 years - the USA with LA 84 to Atlanta 96; and Austria with Innsbruck 64 to Innsbruck 76 (although that was a special circumstance because of Denver backing out in 73).

The shortest time period between hosting a Winter/Summer combination (other than France 1924, USA 1932 and Germany 1936 when the Games came as a "package") is 4 years with Italy (Cortina 56 and Rome 60) and the USA (Lake Placid 80 and LA 84) as the precedents.

Sort of on topic, yet off

I hate it when people say that Vancouver 2010 will hurt NYC 2012, ok DUMB!!!

Lake Placid 80 didn't hurt LA 84, same with Atlanta and SLC, not to mention Athens to Turin!

The perfect example is:  

Winter '92  - Albertville, France

Summer '92 - Barcelona, Spain

Winter '94  - Lillehammer, Norway

Hello?  3 Olympic Games in the span of 24 months in Europe.  They should be the last to be selfish about these Games.

I think that a country should not host within 20 years of previously hosting a Summer OR Winter games and i don't think that a continent should host back to back games inc Europe.

each country is different and has different reasons on why it lands on the Olympics frequently or not frequently or not at all. i don't like having a number on the intervals of when should a country rebid.

each country is different and has different reasons on why it lands on the Olympics frequently or not frequently or not at all. i don't like having a number on the intervals of when should a country rebid.

Any examples? And exactly why should some countries have different considerations than others?

Okay, this might be a way to go....

But in the same way, can we prevent countries from bidding over and over again?

The United States bid for almost every summer games from 1948 until 1996 (exceptions 1988 and 1992)  Many of those bids had multiple U.S. cities bidding.  I think the only reason that they didn't bid for those 2 games was because they won 1984.  

They also bid for every winter games from 1948 until 2002 (exceptions 1964, 1984 and 1988).

That would be 28 bid competitions where the USA had competitors in 24 of them.  Some with more than one US city bidding.  They had 5 wins during this time.  That would be about 1 games (either winter or summer) in 10 years.  

I guess New York will win 2012.  It's been WAYYYYY to long for the US to host a games.  hehehehe

So don't roll your eyes when you seen cities or countries bid over and over again.  I think it's only fair.

It is called democracy. I don't think the IOC wants to go over its head and say to one country, "Sorry, you cannot bid because you bid too many times."

Nothing against the US but i agree with some things alreaddy said......

Nothing against NYC 2012.... but a 16year interval (1996-2012) isnt enough, for any country if you ask me. 20years atleast.....

but a 16year interval (1996-2012) isnt enough, for any country if you ask me. 20years atleast.....

Not much difference between between 16 and 20 years, only 4 years more.

I would say - same country 50 years

Same city- 100 years (Athens is hosting again after 108 years)

at the risk of taking some heat, i think there are variables to take into consideration that affect how often a nation bids and hosts the Games.  one reason i believe the US can host multiple Games in a short amount of time is because of the wide variety of cities capable of hosting.  while many American cities do have similarities, vast differences exist.  no one can make the argument that NYC, LA, SLC, Atlanta, Lake Placid are the "same" - each is in a different section of the country with its own feel and culture.  for that reason, i believe it's perfectly fine for a nation to host multiple Games in short amounts of time.  

same with Barcelona and Madrid, both cities may be in Spain but the culture, history, even language of each city is vastly different and for that reason, i do not think a 20 year interval is such a big deal or should represent a "hurdle" in bidding.  

that's my thought on the topic at least.  however, i want to see the Games rotated as often as possible but I do think that a nation like the US is able to host more often than some nations.  Greece has one city capable of hosting and therefore, should have longer to wait for the Games.  that's not a slam against Greece just a statement of fact.

at the risk of taking some heat, i think there are variables to take into consideration that affect how often a nation bids and hosts the Games.  one reason i believe the US can host multiple Games in a short amount of time is because of the wide variety of cities capable of hosting.  while many American cities do have similarities, vast differences exist.  no one can make the argument that NYC, LA, SLC, Atlanta, Lake Placid are the "same" - each is in a different section of the country with its own feel and culture.  for that reason, i believe it's perfectly fine for a nation to host multiple Games in short amounts of time.  

same with Barcelona and Madrid, both cities may be in Spain but the culture, history, even language of each city is vastly different and for that reason, i do not think a 20 year interval is such a big deal or should represent a "hurdle" in bidding.  

that's my thought on the topic at least.  however, i want to see the Games rotated as often as possible but I do think that a nation like the US is able to host more often than some nations.  Greece has one city capable of hosting and therefore, should have longer to wait for the Games.  that's not a slam against Greece just a statement of fact.

A very well-put point.  

I think that is why Canada has been so successful on a lot of their bids.  From French Montreal to Calgary with it's western/cowboy roots to cosmopolitan Vancouver they are all different.

Which is why New Zealand and Australia should try a little more often.  They are a lot like Canada in that they are a smaller country but have many different cultures throught the region.

MACAU should be the permanent home of ALL the Games - SUmmer and Winter!   THere, Daniel, I've said it...you can put the gun down now.  

:help:

Which is why New Zealand and Australia should try a little more often.  They are a lot like Canada in that they are a smaller country but have many different cultures throught the region.

Not really. Yes each state/ city in NZ and Aus is different and has it's particular features, but in no way is it vastly different, in comparison to somewhere like India for example.

In India, lots of states have their own language, which they speak alongside Hindi (the national language of India), the food is vastly different, the religious practices, the people look different as well- in the north near Kashmir the people are more caucasian looking, and down south in Kerala and Tamil Nadu they are darker skinned.

So if you're looking for countries, where from state to state, there is an enormous difference in everything, NZ and Aus are not really good examples.

I don't know if I would agree that Canada has been so successful in their bids either.

Canadian cities have bid 9 times since 1956 to land a winter games.  Winning in 1988 and 2010. (3 bids from Calgary, 3 bids from Vancouver, and one from Banff, Montreal and Quebec City).

In summer games bids... Montreal bid twice (winning 1976) and Toronto has bid twice losing both.

That would be only 3 successful bid from 13 separate bids.  I think that the BIG difference here is that Canada seems to appear a bit greedy because they are also looking at a second chance at a summer games.  That would be their second... in a completely different city (Toronto and Montreal are completely different).  

There are limited amounts of cities that can pull off a winter games.  Some have yet to be "tapped" into at this time.  Thus explains the frequency of Europe, North America and sometimes Asia looking to host these games.

But all continents have several cities that could pull of a GREAT Summer Games.  The competition is tough!!!  So I don't see that a Toronto bid for 2016 or 2020 would be stepping on anyones toes.  Canada has only hosted once.  If Toronto were to bid for 2016.... that would be 40 years after Montreal.

So when you look at the possibility of New York winning 2012 only after only 16 years after Atlanta.  I say it's time that the US waits their turn.

As far as 2012 goes... Paris and London have already hosted twice, Moscow once, the US should wait.  Give the games to Madrid.... even though Barcelona hosted in 1992, Catalona (is that correct spelling) is almost considered a completely different country by it's residents.

In the same breath....As much as I would like to see a games go to Toronto.  I would prefer the Summer Games go to places that have NEVER hosted.  South America or Africa.  Being on a shortlist with cities from those continents and losing wouldn't make me sad.  It's just time!!!!

Well, one aspect of a "rotation" being tossed out is the amount of fees the potential candidate city is going to pay to the IOC in becoming one.