Beijing Olympic Cauldron

mr.x

I think there's still at least one possibility for London to have a first in Olympic cauldron lighting ceremonies: They could have five igniters from all five continents, maybe lighting the cauldron from different spots in the stadium.

And since I was right about the soaring final torch bearer in Beijing, I'll be proved correct again. ;)

Good idea on the London lighting -- altho w/ 2 continents NOT having actually hosted the Games yet, I think this might be a little controversial.

WHERE did you predict that it was going to be Li Ning? :blink: I don't remember you naming him. <_<

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Shall we already start the speculation for the London 2012 cauldron lighting? ;)

I think there's still at least one possibility for London to have a first in Olympic cauldron lighting ceremonies: They could have five igniters from all five continents, maybe lighting the cauldron from different spots in the stadium.

And since I was right about the soaring final torch bearer in Beijing, I'll be proved correct again. ;)

I hope London can do something different with the cauldron lighting. I like the idea of having several athletes lighting it.

Maybe it sounds ambitious, but it will be great if all the athletes on the field can be somehow involved in igniting the cauldron. This way, they can look forward to contribute to the climax of the show, instead of standing there and lingering around watching the show. This will bring greater meaning to the ideal of the flame.

Maybe it sounds ambitious, but it will be great if all the athletes on the field can be somehow involved in igniting the cauldron. This way, they can look forward to contribute to the climax of the show, instead of standing there and lingering around watching the show. This will bring greater meaning to the ideal of the flame.

#1 - It will look like the Nazi rallies at Nuremberg.

#2 - I guess if you want to recreate the Great Fire of London of ???when was that???

#3 - How can you rehearse the 8,000 athletes who attend? Their appearance is the ONLY time you will ever get most of them together.

#4 - The FIre Marshalls of London will probably NOT allow it.

#1 - It will look like the Nazi rallies at Nuremberg.

#2 - I guess if you want to recreate the Great Fire of London of ???when was that???

#3 - How can you rehearse the 8,000 athletes who attend? Their appearance is the ONLY time you will ever get most of them together.

#4 - The FIre Marshalls of London will probably NOT allow it.

LOL all athletes will be carrying a torch and it will seem like a torch-wielding mob going on a witch hunt!

What I have in mind is not something so literal. Maybe they can somehow activate/ encourage the flame in reaching the cauldron by doing some simple action together on the field eg. clapping, thumping their feet or setting off some ignition-popper given to them before they parade into the stadium.

Something that doesnt need rehearsing, something simple and spontaneous which turn all the focus to the thousands of athletes on the field during the climax. Cos to me they seem like some human props at the end of the show, filling up the empty field.

LOL all athletes will be carrying a torch and it will seem like a torch-wielding mob going on a witch hunt!

What I have in mind is not something so literal. Maybe they can somehow activate/ encourage the flame in reaching the cauldron by doing some simple action together on the field eg. clapping, thumping their feet or setting off some ignition-popper given to them before they parade into the stadium.

Something that doesnt need rehearsing, something simple and spontaneous which turn all the focus to the thousands of athletes on the field during the climax. Cos to me they seem like some human props at the end of the show, filling up the empty field.

As interesting as your ideas sounds, it kinda of wouldn't fit into an opening ceremony. The athletes will be too excited just by the fact of just being in the stadium and 'clapping, thumping their feet' isn't exactly a show stopping moment. Lol, anyways, they can cheer and shout to "encourage the flame". As far as providing all of the athletes some kind of ignition device, that would be costly and again, kinda tacky.... I don't think that the "human props" as you think of them, think that they are what you say they are, after seeing the reaction from the Australian contingent, I believe that all the athletes are again, just thrilled being there... they are there coz they achieved something great, they are not there to be entertainment (that is what the cultural segment is for....), besides, the Ceremony is also a celebration of the athletes, so by having them in the centre, they become an integral part of the stadium....... they make the atmosphere in any Opening Ceremony uplifting... hmmm, you know, even though some people here hated it, I just relised that this Ceremony didn't have that big white sheet come down over the athletes.... I personally didn't mind it......

Watever they choose to do, i highly believe that the main way of lighting the cauldron will still be 1 or a few people lighting the cauldron either directly i.e Sydney or indirectly i.e Torino..... you can't beat this tradition, or prestige bestowed upon that chosen person(s) and I doubt, no matter how "different" these 2012 games are, this tradition will stay, albeit with a London flavour....

Good idea on the London lighting -- altho w/ 2 continents NOT having actually hosted the Games yet, I think this might be a little controversial.

First of all, of the inhabited continents for which the five Olympic Rings stand, only one -- Africa -- hasn't hosted the Games yet.

And secondly: What??? Does Africa suddenly not belong to the Olympic Movement anymore only because it hasn't hosted the Games yet? By the way, it hasn't created a controversy either when Munich's final torch bearer Günter Zahn was accompanied by an American, an African, an Asian and an Oceanian athlete in 1972. And it also hasn't created a controversy when yesterday, there were bands from all five continents playing the music for the parade of nations.

But I guess you aren't happy as long as you haven't found a fly in the ointment.

WHERE did you predict that it was going to be Li Ning? :blink: I don't remember you naming him. <_<

Hmm, then you should have your memory checked:

(...)

And in terms of the mechanism how the cauldron will be lit tonight: We never had the final torch bearer soaring through the air to the cauldron. Why not tonight? Athens proved that it's possible to do such a stunt gracefully:

olyopener81404.jpg

Especially a former gymnast like Li Ning would be perfect for such a stunt which demands good coordination skills, I reckon.

(...)

First of all, of the inhabited continents for which the five Olympic Rings stand, only one -- Africa -- hasn't hosted the Games yet.

And secondly: What??? Does Africa suddenly not belong to the Olympic Movement anymore only because it hasn't hosted the Games yet? By the way, it hasn't created a controversy either when Munich's final torch bearer Günter Zahn was accompanied by an American, an African, an Asian and an Oceanian athlete in 1972. And it also hasn't created a controversy when yesterday, there were bands from all five continents playing the music for the parade of nations.

But I guess you aren't happy as long as you haven't found a fly in the ointment.

Whats your prophecy for London's one then?? :)

Like I said: The cauldron could be lit by five final torchbearers from all five continents.

Or why else is Baron so nervous and tries to spoil that idea already now? ;)

I like the idea of sharing.

Is it just myself or I panicked for a second when Li Ning lifted up in the air cos' I thought I saw the flame extinguished on his torch. Worst case scenario, he dropped the torch and has to come down, get a replacement torch and fly back again. :P

I like the idea of sharing.

Is it just myself or I panicked for a second when Li Ning lifted up in the air cos' I thought I saw the flame extinguished on his torch. Worst case scenario, he dropped the torch and has to come down, get a replacement torch and fly back again. :P

I also thought "Now don't drop that torch!". :lol: So I guess that many people in front of their TV sets or in the stadium shared that fear.

I also thought "Now don't drop that torch!". :lol: So I guess that many people in front of their TV sets or in the stadium shared that fear.

I can imagine it's really difficult to grab on that torch, while air-running like that, plus the nerve of it all. If he is nervous, shaking hands wont help too!

Perhaps they kinda glued the torch to his hand to make sure it wont happened!

I don't recall seeing that post, so I won't. But congrats on naming him.

I sort of thought too they would do an aerial thing with the final torch-bearer - and of course at the back of my mind, yes, it would have to be a gymnast. But I dismissed it as too cliche -- too Nikki Webster -- and the scale would've been lost. Like a firefly in a field. But with the scroll 'unfurling' on the rim, yeah, that rounded out the whole idea and validated the aerial lap.

I don't recall seeing that post, so I won't. But congrats on naming him.

I sort of thought too they would do an aerial thing with the final torch-bearer - and of course at the back of my mind, yes, it would have to be a gymnast. But I dismissed it as too cliche -- too Nikki Webster -- and the scale would've been lost. Like a firefly in a field. But with the scroll 'unfurling' on the rim, yeah, that rounded out the whole idea and validated the aerial lap.

There's a portion of the lap where he over-ran the scroll and was in front of it. Do you think that was intentional or they dragged him too fast?

I think it was a minor synchro glitch. Nonetheless, the whole concept was simply phenomenal.

At least its not as big as a glitch to Sydney's one, which nearly became the most catastrophic glitch in human history! I cant imagine how the ceremony director must have felt at that few minutes, prob he wished he was out there giving the bloody cauldron a nudge himself!

At least its not as big as a glitch to Sydney's one, which nearly became the most catastrophic glitch in human history! I cant imagine how the ceremony director must have felt at that few minutes, prob he wished he was out there giving the bloody cauldron a nudge himself!

Does anybody know what happened in 2000, when the cauldron stood some time still?

I think they could have sold the lighting more with the camera angles. Especially from above somehow - that would have really captures the size of the whole thing. Athens sold their simple set-up quiet well with the shot from behind, overlooking all the camera flashes. However, I did like that NBC used the shot of the fluttering Olympic flag in the fore-ground when the flame traveling up the cauldron, that was great and I see that some other broadcasters didn't use it.

….And, you know, after all that speculation and predicting, I would have liked to actually see the thing "slide and tilt". :rolleyes:

Does anybody know what happened in 2000, when the cauldron stood some time still?

Here's the story, from a interview with the "master of ceremonies" in Sydney, Ric Birch, one day after Sydney's closing ceremony:

TONY JONES: Can I get you to settle one urban myth for us.

When the flame got stuck during the opening ceremony there is a myth -- whether it's a myth or not you can settle for us right now -- that the flame would have gone out.

It had a limited amount of gas and it would have gone out had it not started moving very quickly?

RIC BIRCH: The myth has a little bit of truth behind it, like all great myths.

But there was 35 minutes worth of gas on board.

Before we did the final design, I asked the tech director, "What happens if the cauldron does have to stop somewhere along its journey?"

The reason it stopped on the night was a faulty switch.

Nothing got stuck, nothing got jammed.

It was just a switch that said it wasn't locked in position.

Once the guys checked it and found it was OK, they overrode the switch and the thing moved on.

TONY JONES: What did it feel like, watching that at the time?

RIC BIRCH: It felt kind of, as though time was standing still.

TONY JONES: The flame wouldn't have gone out, though?

RIC BIRCH: No, what happened was we had 35 minutes of gas bottles on board the cradle that lifted the whole thing and had it not stopped, the whole journey was only -- from the moment that Cathy lit it to its final lift on the cauldron pedestal was under 6 minutes, so 35 minutes was more than enough to take care of any temporary stops and we had an umbilical cord -- had we had to connect it up, we could have.

But it would have been difficult.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/stories/s194745.htm

I agree - it was a wonderful idea - I still wonder if pictures of London, Paris or S.F. were shown on the scroll - I saw Istanbul, St. Petersburg and several Chinese Cities...

I'm sure they all would have been on _ they would have had to have been _ but of course the pictures would have all been only positive ones.