Beijing Olympic Cauldron

mr.x

hey guys, you should consider one big thing like that if the Cauldron there, some people in the Nest would not see the flame at all...

So, i think we should change the way of thinking.

Yes, I think more than half of the ticket-paying public won't have a view of it. But sometimes, you just can't help it.

And this isn't something new either. Take Sydney or Torino, for example.

I'm sorry but if forum speculation proves to be correct, then I am disappointed in the cauldron. You should be able to flame from anywhere in the stadium (Athens. Barcelona) And also it should be visible from the Olympic Green. If both these thing happen then I have no concerns. I guess the thickness of that Birds Nest roof means that at least one of these things won't happen though.

53389001xi6.jpg

I think Cauldron can come down, BECAUSE roof has cauldron rail (channel) till the end of roof rim. THINK AGAIN.....

Hey Zain,

love your sketches that you have done, on your ideas, my own ideas are quite similar..... I like you bird idea more though, but anyhow..... I hope that the cauldron does not have that final form, if it did, it would be a bit anti-climatic, no matter how good the lighting mechanism/technique is. Then again, what we have seen so far, it might be just a Part 1 Cauldron, with Part 2 to reveal itself when the time comes in the Opening Ceremony......

PS. I'm Australian and I might sound a bit biased, But Sydney's Olympic Cauldron still kicks ass, even with the computer glitch.

Less roof and more space for the cauldron. I don't mind no roof at all. Would quite like a stadium bowl with no roof and a system of cables the run the from outside the stadium holding the cauldron up above the centre of the stadium. The cauldron itself could be a design feature.

If a roof is used, then use a white fabric roof and project images onto the entire inner roof, creating a sort of large screen of the roof, not just the inner rim of the roof( i.e. dolphins)

Less roof and more space for the cauldron. I don't mind no roof at all. Would quite like a stadium bowl with no roof and a system of cables the run the from outside the stadium holding the cauldron up above the centre of the stadium. The cauldron itself could be a design feature.

If a roof is used, then use a white fabric roof and project images onto the entire inner roof, creating a sort of large screen of the roof, not just the inner rim of the roof( i.e. dolphins)

Mo, with a fabric roof tho, if one used projections, the projectors would have to be situated amonst the audience seats -I think. Of course we will be seeing a lot of this in Vancouver's show.

.... phoenix theories.

And strange that they haven't removed the inflatable condom.

Well there is the way that they are going to light the cauldron, maybe the phoenix theme will tie into that... I am guessing that they won't take down the "inflatable condom" till at least after the 'official' unveiling during the Opening Ceremony, anyhow it should be gone the next day.

Hmph, once again our friend zainhasan15 was almost close ^^. To be honest, i dont like the cauldron too much (it reminds me of some french fries box i saw in 1996, seriously :lol: ). But anyway, that pics dont talk too much about what we're going to see, so once again, wait until August 8 to watch the whole thingie

It looks like the cauldron is lit through the entire scroll because it seems that its lit at the bottom too. If this is true, I hope they did something so it doesn't look like the burnt fry box from Atlanta (btw, I didn't hate the cauldron except for it looked black, blue and red by the end of the Games).

Now that's what I call an Olympic Flame! OK, it's very energy-consuming and certainly not in line with the "Green Games" concept -- but f*ck, the Olympic Games only take place every two years.

I'm not certain, however, whether the scroll even burns at the bottom. I think that this is only the reflection of the flame on the roof. The roof would probably seriously harmed if there were flames shooting out of the cauldron's bottom.

They seem to have flipped up the cauldron in front of that rubber hangar (see first picture), so its final position is obviously at the rim of the roof as some others and I guessed beforehand.

In the second picture, the upper part of the cauldron with the flame looks pretty much like Lillehammer's cauldron, by the way.

By the way: Thanks a lot, andrew_syd, for the pictures!

Do you also have the news clip by any chance and could upload it on YouTube or another video platform?

You're welcome, Olympian2004. I'll try and upload the clip for you soon, but it really doesn't show much more than the two pictures already posted. But you do see the light dim on the red part of the cauldron in the second photo, who knows how significant or insignificant that is to the lighting sequence.

My first thought was just like yours - Lillehammer 1994. Or one giant birthday candle, or the end of a candy cane hehe.

And it seems to have the usual "scroll" design of the Beijing games on the top part, similar to the Community Cauldron in the following picture:

W020080128602406889134.jpg