Beijing Olympic Cauldron

mr.x

WOW, best shot of that... thing. I still can't figure where will this tip tilt towards - up or down.

I don't think it will move down any farther.

How can it tilt down? I mean it's laying on its 'floor' already -- and if you droop that thing over the roof lip, it's probably going to come crashing down. That's as far as it goes -- obviously, some Albertville-Atlanta wire will light it -- with the flame brought by the 'phoenix.'

I think it will look like some stylized flower/scroll. You can tell there already is a framework inside to hold the 'wall' together.

If you look mid way through the white part, it looks as if there is a pivot or hinge below.

Good hint.

I still think that the cauldron will flip upwards. That pivot you pointed out is probably capable to lift that visible end of the cauldron upwards so that it will have sufficient distance to the roof. Then, the whole cauldron will be able to flip upwards without that end crashing into the roof.

I think that the whole cauldron will look like a huge torch or scroll, i.e. pretty Atlanta-like. But hopefully, it will have a far more impressive flame and especially won't look like a huge fry container. ;)

I still think that the cauldron will flip upwards. That pivot you pointed out is probably capable to lift that visible end of the cauldron upwards so that it will have sufficient distance to the roof. Then, the whole cauldron will be able to flip upwards without that end crashing into the roof.

Hmm... That probably won't work.

So my guess still is that the cauldron will slide to the rim of the roof and flip upwards so that the end visible on the photo will hang down.

I'm not as anxious as Baron who always fears that those structures could crash down. ;)

53389001xi6.jpg

I think Cauldron can come down, BECAUSE roof has cauldron rail (channel) till the end of roof rim. THINK AGAIN.....

well, what about the pipe for the gas? Is that something than can also stretch? :rolleyes:

Hassan, to have that strange cornucopia thing hang down is unnecessary and to what effect? :blink:

The flame always goes (up) to meet the cauldron. To have the cauldron (especially something as humongous as this) meet the flame is quite ridiculous and creates no dramatic momentum at all.

What I don't understand about the colour scheme is why is the inside painted white? Unless they have found a flame that will burn completely clean, that white (inside) surface will turn black with soot before the 17 days are over.

well, what about the pipe for the gas? Is that something than can also stretch? :rolleyes:

Hassan, to have that strange cornucopia thing hang down is unnecessary and to what effect? :blink:

The flame always goes (up) to meet the cauldron. To have the cauldron (especially something as humongous as this) meet the flame is quite ridiculous and creates no dramatic momentum at all.

<_< you always criticize me. That is all I can imagine for this Swiss roll.

It's NOT that I mean to criticize you.

I just size it up differently and use other criteria. How else can one say it?

zainhasan - that is exactly how i magine the cauldron to be like - however i agree with the baron - it will be very difficult to move that thing as it is as big as a house - but i guess we should be prepared for the unexpected! just don't see the need for all this extravagence? the flame lighting has got too complicated (IMO) and this lessens the impact of a very simple and beautiful act! athens came close to this beauty with the final runner just running and lighting the bloody thing. if it is too stage managed - a la sydney - things seem to go wrong and it loses it's poetic licence - just my view!

If you look at the pic, the straight line of the cauldron is exactly so long as the roof thickness. And it have some black lines, to coincide with the black lines that you can see at edge of the roof. I think that it is evident that the cauldron fits perfectly at the edge of the roof, so it will tilt 90º. (Sorry for my english)

that isnt the cauldron. its the organizers diverting the worlds attention to a structure unrelated to the cauldron while the actual cauldron work takes place behind the scenes. the cauldron will rise from the centre of the "pit" of the stadium and will float above the birds nest using helium. yao ming will simply take a jump up and light the cauldron.

a water feature ala athens 2004 can also be expected. great chinese battles will be played out on the water.

also 1000 performers will form a human tower by balancing on top of each other.

stadium roof interior i.e. not just the rim, will also be used to display graphics.

Baron, the gas pipe could be inserted into the hinge of the cauldron. In fact, it's the only place where the gas pipe can be situated, since that hinge seems to be the only connection between roof and cauldron (also judging by the pictures before that "rubber hangar" was built).

Why is it unnecessary? That way, it would be closer to the stadium audience instead of being flipped up somewhere in the centre of the roof, out of the view of most of the audience. Remember: The ideal cauldron has to be seen from the outside and the inside of the stadium. I think that this was the wording of that former paragraph of the Olympic Charter.

And how shall, in your concept, the cauldron actually flip up in the centre of the roof without crashing into it? I expect a drawing of yours, but please make it as pretty as Zainhasan's drawings -- because otherwise, I'd be very unsatisfied. :P

:blink: ??? Remember Athens? There, the cauldron had to move (i.e. "take a bow") to "meet" the flame, too. So you must show me the law that says that the flame has to meet the cauldron, and not vice versa.

By the way: In the scenario Zainhasan was talking about, the cauldron only slides to the edge of the roof and flips up. Then, the flame crawls up a wire, is carried by a flying final torchbearer or something like that. So the flame would still "go up to meet the cauldron". So why all the fuzz?

The cauldron will use a system of cables and be centred at the centre of the roof opening. It is just being constructed at that site.

I don't think so, Mo. That spot was picked I believe for the following reasons:

1. It affords the Tribune of Honor (the VIP box) an excellent view. Notice it is OPPOSITE that side of the stadium.

2. If it were just any old spot, then why not a part of the roof where it is lowest to that mid-air spot, so it'll slide easily. Why did they pick this spot on a certain incline? Because

3. Structurally, this must've been a safe, sound spot. And I think

4. The gas supply tank on the ground, or below ground, is probably at a very favorable spot at this location.

5. Also, it is too MASSIVE a structure to float in the air -- unless the desired effect is that of an asteroid crashing to earth. :blink: (Then it would be probable.)

I think its tip will extend just a bit,

- receive the 'phoenix' into its fold

- start to tilt up;

- TWIRL like a top whilst shooting off pyros to the side;

- start to move farther back up; and

- when it reaches its final spot, fnally explode into the full flame it will be.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Baron, the gas pipe could be inserted into the hinge of the cauldron. In fact, it's the only place where the gas pipe can be situated, since that hinge seems to be the only connection between roof and cauldron (also judging by the pictures before that "rubber hangar" was built)

Or the cauldron itself could have a gas supply of its own to last as long as it takes for it to move into its final, upright position (just like Sydney's cauldron) Then when the Ceremony is over, a team will move in, put down the inflatable structure and connect the main gas line to the cauldron.

I see tracks for it to slide to the edge and a hinge to tilt it upwards. Can't see it any other way.

As for how the flame will get up there, I have no clue and don't mind knowing until Friday night.