Do You Really Care?

Of course! Irregardless of the politics involved, as long as the competition is there--I'm stoked for it! The ceremonies haven't been too huge a deal for me (although I loved the 70s music during the parade of nations in Torino! :D), so I'll probably watching some of the early streaming coverage during parts of the OC.

The US has teams in Women's Field Hockey and Men's Soccer, unlike 2004. Our Men's Basketball team looks stellar. In a historic fashion, I hope USA clinches gold in what could be the last Olympic Baseball and Softball competitions in 8 years, at least. Our Women's Basketball and WOmen's Soccer teams will likely rock as usual.

And, with the breadth of NBC Universal's TV coverage and the historic online streaming coverage, I can pretty much see what I want when I want! It will ROCK, and I can't wait until the 6th (I always consider the first football/soccer prelims the start of the Olympics!).

Like my signature says, five rings to rule them all.

And, of course, GO TEAM USA! :D

$300 million!

That's what reports are saying. Now I don't know if that's $300 mil just for the Opening or it's $300 mil for all Ceremonies (Opening, Closing and the Medals Cermonies). In the past, figures have always lumped all 3 Ceremonies sections. Like Atlanta was $28 mil for everything; Salt Lake was $32 mil; Athens' was $90 mil over 4 years (including digging and setting up the Big Hole/Lake structure). So I don't know what this figure for Beijing is. (I have a feeling it's $300 mil for Opening, Closing and Medals ceremonies.)

But, what's $300 mil to a total $40 billion bill (but that includes subways, airports, all the new buildings, etc.)

And to think when I made a prelim budget for a Hollywood producer who was bidding to do these Ceremonies, I could barely justify reaching the $40 mil mark!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

You WILL NOT be seeing anything like that in London.

The thing with London, and possibly Chicago, is that their main stadia are going to be "temporary." So, certainly for Chicago, unless Bill Gates or Warren Buffet coughs up $200 million just for Ceremonies, there AIN'T GONNA BE NO BIG HOLE in Washington Park!! And I don't think London will do the same for what'll be a reduced facility after the Games.

Now, Russia, with all their billionaires, might be VERY CHALLENGED by Beijing and Vancouver's shows, so I have a feeling Russia is going to make a run to topple Beijing's shows as the MOST LAVISH ever!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV