Do You Really Care?

I find Beijing 2008 boring. Yeah, I'll watch. But really, I don't find these Olympics to be all that interesting. Athens had the construction melodrama and return to Greece thing. Sydney and Barcelona had the dramatic settings and brilliant organization. Even Atlanta had some interesting things being the centennial and the commercialization. But these games just seem so dull - overly controlled, overly contrived, and lacking the drama and openness of past renditions. For being the big coming out party, I kinda wish they were just going back in.

I think I've just skipped my focus forward to 2012. It was always the more interesting number--from the big named bidders, to it being the XXX Olympiad, to the logo mess, and the British tabloids--a way sexier event.

As far as the competition is concerned, my excitement level is about where it is for any Olympic Games. I could live without all the extra baggage that these Games are carrying (I'd much rather be looking forward to a Games in Toronto, a mere seven hour drive from my home).

I'm at the point in my in my life that I just can't wish four years away to get to London 2012. I'm going to enjoy these upcoming competitions, then take a short breather, and start getting ready for Vancouver.

Yes, I do care. It's going to be an exciting competition, I cannot wait for the Games to officially start.

Sorry for the brief response, I'm on a break in between my double shift at the theatre (I have to work from 9 this morning to 1 tomorrow morning, but I'll get some much needed $ to my next paycheck)

What's going to be interesting here is that as much as the Chinese will try to 'control' everything -- they won't succeed. SOmething will turn up to scuttle their TOTAL CONTROL paranoia. And then to see their 'damage control' measures would be even more interesting.

ANd I'm NOT going to miss a $300 million production. God, that's like a "Titanic" and a half movie!! You can bet that's not going to happen again -- not in London, not in Sochi, not in 2016.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The Olympic Games are the Olympic Games - I'll enjoy it all. But I won't deny that my enthusiasm would be higher if some things were different. All this control paranoia on the part of the Chinese government, the still lingering pollution problem, or heck, even the lack luster "Look of the Games" have all recently begun to lower my excitement for something that I've really been looking forward to.

It's just unfortunate that when everything is said and done, Beijing 2008 will probably have brought more harm than good to the 'Olympic Movement'. But at least we have Vancouver and London to look forward to after all this - two Games that, in my opinion, have the potential to match the likes of Lillehammer, Barcelona and Sydney.

No, I don't want a terrorist attack or anything bad to happen. I guess I just don't feel the joy or excitement or energy in the air that other games have had in the past...maybe I didn't articulate my point well enough, but these games seem totally staged, fake, lackluster.

No, I don't want a terrorist attack or anything bad to happen. I guess I just don't feel the joy or excitement or energy in the air that other games have had in the past...maybe I didn't articulate my point well enough, but these games seem totally staged, fake, lackluster.

well, not totally staged or fake~no one would be expecting those things to be happened. no one.

well, not totally staged or fake~no one would be expecting those things to be happened. no one.

What Kendegra meant was that everything has been prepared for and planned for so far in advance. Unlike Athens which was flying by the seat of their tunics. Will they make it by Opening Day? WIll the IOC get a heart attack and postpone the Games or move them? There was that devil-may-care, laff-in-the-face of death that the Greeks and Madame Gianna exhibited!!

Nothing like: tomorrow will take care of itself!!

I mean Chinese people who probably want to have sex during the Opening Ceremony (when China marches in or the flame is lit) have programmed it on their Excel programs!!

And to add something to the "These Games will be boring" discussion:

There'll definitely be protests of athletes. At least I know of one athlete for sure (I won't name her/him, since I'm not certain whether the Chinese watchdogs read this page) who has announced to make some sort of protest. And I doubt that she/he will be the only one, although meanwhile, some athletes who originally intended to protest (for example, the German water polo team which wanted to wear orange bathrobes to remind of the Tibetan buddhist monks) have already announced that they'll do without protests.

Well off course that I'm really excited about the Games , as always . These games will be really special because Chinese people seems to be really enthusiastic about it, all tickets are sold out already (so different of what happened in Athens , when some competitions took place in empty venues ) . I know the Chinese will bring color to these Games .

The only thing I'm really sad is the asian timezone . Here in Brazil all the important action will happen at late night / or in the morning and I think this factor will not motivate people to watch the games . Our male volley team matches will take place at 3.30 A.M and this is sad because although Brazilians are really supporting our team and expect the Gold , I doubt that many people will stay awake to watch these matches .

I kinda agree that Beijing looks like a "dull" city . I guess Shanghai 'd be more attractive , but after all, I'm excited for the Games.

I'm just anticipating for big, political drama. The biggest political debacle that these Olympic Games could mean for the IOC. Things getting really politically heated-up in Beijing would really make these Games interesting & EXCITING for me!!

Letterman had a good joke last night on late night:

"There's 'excitement' in the air in Beijing... including lead, zinc, sulfer dioxcide,... etc". lol

I'm just anticipating for big, political drama. The biggest political debacle that these Olympic Games could mean for the IOC. Things getting really politically heated-up in Beijing would really make these Games interesting & EXCITING for me!!

Letterman had a good joke last night on late night:

"There's 'excitement' in the air in Beijing... including lead, zinc, sulfer dioxcide,... etc". lol

So you want the games to be ruined. that's weak.

There'll definitely be protests of athletes. At least I know of one athlete for sure (I won't name her/him, since I'm not certain whether the Chinese watchdogs read this page) who has announced to make some sort of protest. And I doubt that she/he will be the only one, although meanwhile, some athletes who originally intended to protest (for example, the German water polo team which wanted to wear orange bathrobes to remind of the Tibetan buddhist monks) have already announced that they'll do without protests.

That athlete would have more credibility if they stayed away from Beijing in protest. If they feel so strongly about human rights they would sacrifice their experience. Taking advantage of Chinese hospitality and then making protests against them is simply wrong and sets a dangerous precedent for future Games.

I wish UN conference and Olymics Games should he held together if politics really considered by a major driving force for the olympic movement. seriously~

Or we should introduce a new game of Olympics which to be called WORLD WAR to sort out the problem for once in the name of a better future. Or to melt down the entire Antatica to host a no border games

So you want the games to be ruined. that's weak.

What's "weak" is the Chinese government feeding all the lies & propaganda to the IOC & the world to land these Games. Falsely proclaiming to the IOC that granting them the Olympics would open China up to the world & improve HR's. On the contrary, these last few months & weeks the CCP has displayed quite, quite the opposite in relation to these Games. If anyone or anything is going to "ruin" these Games, it's the Chinese government themselves.

What's "weak" is the Chinese government feeding all the lies & propaganda to the IOC & the world to land these Games. Falsely proclaiming to the IOC that granting them the Olympics would open China up to the world & improve HR's. On the contrary, these last few months & weeks the CCP has displayed quite, quite the opposite in relation to these Games. If anyone or anything is going to "ruin" these Games, it's the Chinese government themselves.

That means all the huge amount of efforts the Chinese civilians pour out to support the Olympics totally = 0 because for their lifetime they would be taged with CCP/Lies/Propaganda forever and ever. And already Millions of Beijing folks are planning a biggest conspiracy to hijack all your beloved athelets/leaders/celebrities on the 8 August just to provoke a new world war and say: ''OH YEAH, CCP ROCKS, YOU SUCKERS~''....is it?

I beg that billions of dollars and ''English cult'', low-paid workers who working hard to decors the city and the world-class stadium for all the guests around the world should be considered as the demons aginest the Olympics. Because for their life time they would never have any of the little expectation or excitment to share with other common people because of the shame their government given them. For whatever reason, they won't be and not allowed to be feeling proud of themselves if they are being a bit of positive about their government.

You forgot the city of Beijing and China wasn't born for the government, it was born to be a capital of a civilization at the end of day. CCCP sucks, but is only CCCP sucks in this world? I doubt it.

I too am really not that interested - first time. I have no plans to watch the opening - probably tape it and flip through later. It's just hard for me to get excited to what is turning out to be Berlin '36, Part II.

What's going to be interesting here is that as much as the Chinese will try to 'control' everything -- they won't succeed. SOmething will turn up to scuttle their TOTAL CONTROL paranoia. And then to see their 'damage control' measures would be even more interesting.

ANd I'm NOT going to miss a $300 million production. God, that's like a "Titanic" and a half movie!! You can bet that's not going to happen again -- not in London, not in Sochi, not in 2016.

$300 million! Good Lord! Is this a direct result of Speilburg advising on the ceremonies? The Chinese really are going to do their best to shove these Games down our throats whether we like it or not. I read somewhere that they've spent over $20+ billion on staging the Games. Simply ridiculous, and hardly an example to prospective hosts on how to budget!

Well enjoy it while it lasts people. You WILL NOT be seeing anything like that in London. Mind you, thinking about it, London's £9 billion isn't that far behind when converted into Dollars. This is all wrong. The IOC have to take a step back before the Games once again corrupt a host city. I feel a 'Montreal' coming on....

To return to the subject matter. Yes I do care that the Games run smoothly for the sake of the movement as a whole and what it represents. However, I wouldn't care so much if the Chinese are mildy humiliated during the Games for their actions.

Personally I'm looking forward to the ceremonies, as they're the best part of the Olympics for me. Of course, I'm even more intrigued to see what London 2012 will present in the closing ceremony. ;) I have a feeling I'll be sitting there watching with a cushion in front of my face the world is confronted with the three B's. BECKHAM on a BUS with a BROAD. (meaning David Beckham on a London Routemaster Bus, with Leona Lewis the token Broad/female)

Bring on the circus....