Pollution/weather

Soaring

I don't know how the media outlets have been in your countries, but over here news stories are really going hysterical over the pollution/smog.

Is there really a need to worry?

Here we hear the same. Also gettyimages.com shows us pictures with a lot of smog.

The pollution appears to have really been up and down lately. There were reports and pictures just last week or so showing perfect, clear, blue skies over Beijing. For the last couple of days, however, it looks like it has come back into the city for whatever reason.

I think we'll just have to wait until the Games begin to see how this pans out. Though I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility of this pollution becoming a non-issue during the Games, unlike others around here. <_<

The pollution appears to have really been up and down lately. There were reports and pictures just last week or so showing perfect, clear, blue skies over Beijing. For the last couple of days, however, it looks like it has come back into the city for whatever reason.

I think we'll just have to wait until the Games begin to see how this pans out. Though I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility of this pollution becoming a non-issue during the Games, unlike others around here. <_<

Beijing is really located in a poor position with mountains block and dry condition especially during the summer, only the east side opens to the Yellow Sea. So if there's no seasonal wind towards to the East, it's almost impossible to clean up the smog natually. Plus, recent dayz reflects a typical weather condition of Beijing's summer these fews years, thanks for the climate change, the record high of rainfall and humidity with the help of heatwave combined causing plenty of dust raising up over the city's skyline. That's what the locals usually called the ''Suana day''. Of course it feels like as it sounds in a Suana. But that also means there would be more upcoming rainfalls in a few days, and until the 7 th August is the start of Autumn, according to the record, Beijing would be ''cooler and fresher''.

28th July Beijing's weather meets some shower and air quality again improved dramatically. Unless the local climate gone wild, Beijing's Autumn might be more comfortable than these few days.

CATCH THE WEATHER OF BEIJING OLYMPIC GREEN HERE

http://www.weather2008.cn/en/index.php

I don't know how the media outlets have been in your countries, but over here news stories are really going hysterical over the pollution/smog.

Is there really a need to worry?

Yes our media outlets here in New Zealand have been doing exactly the same!

Beijing is really located in a poor position with mountains block and dry condition especially during the summer, only the east side opens to the Yellow Sea. So if there's no seasonal wind towards to the East, it's almost impossible to clean up the smog natually. Plus, recent dayz reflects a typical weather condition of Beijing's summer these fews years, thanks for the climate change, the record high of rainfall and humidity with the help of heatwave combined causing plenty of dust raising up over the city's skyline. That's what the locals usually called the ''Suana day''. Of course it feels like as it sounds in a Suana. But that also means there would be more upcoming rainfalls in a few days, and until the 7 th August is the start of Autumn, according to the record, Beijing would be ''cooler and fresher''.

28th July Beijing's weather meets some shower and air quality again improved dramatically. Unless the local climate gone wild, Beijing's Autumn might be more comfortable than these few days.

CATCH THE WEATHER OF BEIJING OLYMPIC GREEN HERE

http://www.weather2008.cn/en/index.php

told ya~After the shower, Beijing's skyline back to blue again~ 29th July 2008 in Olympic Village

013B45F500217F53118480AEB8C818E4.jpg

7DD719A4A8253E449790C62347CCE812.jpg

In mid-July, we had a stretch of very nice days, then about a week ago, it all went to h*ll again and pollution was terrible, day after day after day. Monday night I heard the skyward "booms" and other unnatural noises...not thunder, but definitely man-made. It occurred to me that they were seeding the clouds to get some rain going, as we've experienced the authorities playing around with this before. Sure enough, it was very dark the next morning and mid-day Tuesday, it poured rain---not for a hugely long time, but enough to wash the city and air down pretty well. If you've ever seen man-made rain, there is something definitely weird about it. The drops and way they "splat" on the street have a distinctly different feeling to them! And the rhythm of water coming down is, well, just not like Mother Nature does it. By late Tuesday afternoon air was much cleaner, and as of early this morning (Wed) looks like it will be an OK day. I suspect they will need to do this during the Games--the main problem seems to be that the timing lag (number of hours) between the seeding activity and the actual production of rain is somewhat unpredictable.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'd like to mention that a tropical depression has formed in the South China sea. The Joint Typhoon Warning Center is forecasting a weak typhoon (category 1) to make landfall just to the west of Hong Kong early on the 7th (local time). It appears that it will be gone by the time equestrian events get going.

wp1008.gif

• 2 weeks later...