Triathlon

Am watching a sort-of int'l finals/Olympic qualifier for the Triathlon. It's called the Hy-Vee-ITU Triathlon World Cup, at Des Moines, Iowa, and many countries (European, Oz and NZ) are using it as their Olympic qualifier.

Oops, the live feed has just been cut off...

But a few interesting factoids so far:

- In the women's event, the top 2 winners were Brits, both named Emma.

- The Reeds, a pair fo Kiwi brothers.: the older one, Matt, took US citizenship recently and got one of the first 2 spots for the US team. His brother, Shane, is competing here, and hopes to snag one of the 2 Kimi slots. So if Shane makes the NZ Oly team, it will lead to a possible new Olympic first: the first time 2 natural-born brothers/siblings are competing in the SAME Olympics under different flags. Let's see Wallachinsky pick this factoid up for his 2012 edition.

Live feed back on...

- winner here is Henning from Denmark (who finished #7 in Athens). Top US man (Hunter Kemper) came in 6th and filled the #3 US men's spot.

The logistics in setting up this race are impressive. It looked very Olympic already. Des Moines was chosen because it best approximates the heat, humidity and terrain of Peking!! I could hardly wait to see the banners!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Am watching a sort-of int'l finals/Olympic qualifier for the Triathlon. It's called the Hy-Vee-ITU Triathlon World Cup, at Des Moines, Iowa, and many countries (European, Oz and NZ) are using it as their Olympic qualifier.

Oops, the live feed has just been cut off...

But a few interesting factoids so far:

- In the women's event, the top 2 winners were Brits, both named Emma.

- The Reeds, a pair fo Kiwi brothers.: the older one, Matt, took US citizenship recently and got one of the first 2 spots for the US team. His brother, Shane, is competing here, and hopes to snag one of the 2 Kimi slots. So if Shane makes the NZ Oly team, it will lead to a possible new Olympic first: the first time 2 natural-born brothers/siblings are competing in the SAME Olympics under different flags. Let's see Wallachinsky pick this factoid up for his 2012 edition.

Live feed back on...

- winner here is Henning from Denmark (who finished #7 in Athens). Top US man (Hunter Kemper) came in 6th and filled the #3 US men's spot.

The logistics in setting up this race are impressive. It looked very Olympic already. Des Moines was chosen because it best approximates the heat, humidity and terrain of Peking!! I could hardly wait to see the banners!! :lol:

Shane is in the new zealand olympic team!

• 3 weeks later...
His brother, Shane, is competing here, and hopes to snag one of the 2 Kimi slots. So if Shane makes the NZ Oly team, it will lead to a possible new Olympic first: the first time 2 natural-born brothers/siblings are competing in the SAME Olympics under different flags.

CORRECTION: Apparently, there is another pair of brothers (swimmers) now competing for 2 different flags as well: the Wildeboer brothers. One is swimming for Spain, and the other for the Netherlands.

So there are at least 2 transnational sibling participants in Beijing.

(The announcer from that Triathlon telecast made that earlier claim.)

When is the Triathlon? I can't remember the site I used to visit for the full Beijing timetable.

Women Sunday at 10pm ET

Men, Monday at 10pm ET

The link below takes you to a great "tracker" of all the events.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/08...S_TRACKER.HTML#

Whaat a finish! My sincere comiserations Canada _ I know exactly what it's like to see your competitor mown down in the final moments of the triathlon. Still, good to get Silver.

Congratulations Germany on Gold! Hmmm, you're catching up with us again.

And a Bronze for NZ. Onya Kiwis!

Honestly, thought, heroic effort by Simon Whitfield. I can't believe he managed to hang on: he looked out of it a couple of time. And Fernandez won't be happy whit his race...