Beach Volleyb To Change Names

A high entry in the list of most pointless decisions, I would have thought.

No. I think the clarification is right since the sport isn't necessarily played BY the beach alone. It's played in places like the Champs de Mar in Paris, in Zurich, etc. Even at its inaugual Olympic outing in Atlanta, the sport was actually moved from the Tybee seashore location in Savannah to beside a small man-made lake outside Atlanta. And the only logistical requirement being that it be played on sand -- beige colored preferred.

So the clarification is well justified.

Changes which the world doesn't need...

Regardless of whether it's a real beach or only sand spread out in some city centre, it still has the purpose of at least looking like a beach. And beaches are simply the origin of beach volleyball.

What, for example, shall my home town do with the sand area they set up in the city centre to celebrate special "beach events" throughout the summer? Shall they call them "sand events" now? And shall they celebrate "sand parties"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A clarification that really isn't needed for the followers of the games but for the general public which would tend to think a Beach was needed to host a tournament. Hell They could easily start having matching inside an Ice Hockey Arena or even a Field hockey Stadium with the way Sports Tech is today.

Jim jones

No. It's for people who think 'Beach Volleyball'? Well, we don't have a beach closeby, so we can't play the sport.

On the contrary, giving it its exact technical name, would attract a greater following because anywhere there's sand or WHERE sand could be transported -- then the OPEN-AIR, 2 person- version of the game can find a new home.

It's a correct marketing ploy.

Why did Peking switch to Beijing? Because it was the correct thing to do -- even tho "Peking" was fine by me.

Archived