Beijing Look Of The Games

If you find a Games using YELLOW or ORANGE as their dominant color, they have not been advised correctly.

It is perfectly okay to use colors like yellow, red, or orange, you just have to differentiate between their ‘pure’ tones and their more diluted and elegant shades, as Beijing, Athens and others have done. Just as much thought, if not more, is put into what different camera positions will capture (as in the Olympic rings, the official logo, the theme slogan, etc.) in relation to where the athletes would be positioned in that venue.

Just for reference, these are the primary and subsidiary colors in Beijing's color palette. They've given them names like "The Chinese Red" and "The Chinese Scholar-Tree Green":

redau7.pngyellowcc6.pnggreenbv3.pngbluebi8.pnggreydr1.png

http://en.beijing2008.cn/spirit/beijing2008/graphic/

But when comparing them to actual pictures, it doesn’t seem like they're really fallowing that palette at all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when comparing them to actual pictures, it doesn’t seem like they're really fallowing that palette at all.

That shows the whole range of 'acceptable' colors. It doesn't show or say the quantity or magnitude in which each will be used. (They break their own rules every time.)

So the yellows and oranges will be used sparingly -- mainly for contrast purposes.

I'm talking mainly about the buntings in the arenas. (Don't know what the velodrome looks like.) They can do anything & everything with all the banners outside, the bathrooms, etc.

Note the border of the track and media area to the far left:

xinsrc58207051721444213uf7.jpg

Also, some of the ground level fences/borders at the National Stadium are also using combinations of reds, yellows, and oranges, it appears.

Initially, I was a bit underwhelmed with beijing's environmental graphics, but i think it was more because they have so much to inspiration to pull from yet they chose the lucky cloud pattern as the program's central element.

In contrast to Athens which stylized different greek motifs not to mention their cool mediterrenean palette, beijing chose one motif and went against their traditionalist red to explore primary hues. Instead of having blocks of colorsas Athens did, they chose gradients to weld their shifts in colors.

I like it, it's simple but effective. But I question the consistency of their applications which I think Athens did flawlessly. Although it stuck to the basic graphic program, there seems to b e a disconnect in how the banners, decals, and wraps have been made and positioned.

I thought it was pink...wasn't it? Anyway I can smell LOCOG dare to pick the yob version of avart-garde as their ideal symbol of London...Don't cause Epileptic Seizures again that would be the milestone. :rolleyes:

From static images, that'd be clever..... <_<:huh:

I hate the orange and red. I hoped it would be yellow and blue and maybe some green allone.

That's true, although I would have preferred blue only (although in different shades, of course). How can one choose red, yellow and green when the building is completely blue on the outside and when it houses the aquatic competitions?

Design-wise, those are definitely not the best Olympic Games ever.

img214463039ol3.jpg

img214464486uz4.jpg

img214470111tm9.jpg

That's true, although I would have preferred blue only (although in different shades, of course).

Agreed.

I'm just hoping everything looks better on television. Afterall, that's what’s on the designers mind when they create a Look - how will it look on camera?

.. mmhh.. until now: i do not like it. I hoped (after i realized that there will be only one pattern) that there will design elegant color combinations. This look of the Games reminds me of the "Kodak Store" i used to visit, back those days of analog cameras!

82142669gh2.jpg

Beijing Olympic Green

82128845qq5.jpg

Beijing Olympic Green

82142335bb2.jpg

National Aquatics Center aka the Water Cube - Diving, Swimming, and Synchronized Swimming

82128774um1.jpg

National Aquatics Center aka the Water Cube - Diving, Swimming, and Synchronized Swimming

82144404et4.jpg

82144408tv0.jpg

82144243at2.jpg

82128799ls4.jpg

82130969vr5.jpg

Beijing Olympic Green Hockey Field - Field Hockey

82130977ks9.jpg

Beijing Olympic Green Hockey Field - Field Hockey

82143240vj0.jpg

Beijing Olympic Green Archery Field - Archery

82143339nb0.jpg

Beijing Olympic Green Archery Field - Archery

82143045mj8.jpg

Beijing Workers' Gymnasium - Boxing

82143050ha7.jpg

Beijing Wokrer's Gymnasium - Boxing

82142989ol8.jpg

Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium - Badminton & Rhythmic Gymnasium

82142986gu7.jpg

Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium - Badminton & Rhythmic Gymnasium

82130771wa3.jpg

Shunyi Olympic Slalom Course - Canoe/Kayak (Slalom)

82130705py7.jpg

Shunyi Olympic Slalom Course - Canoe/Kayak (Slalom)

82142467vt9.jpg

Shunyi Olympic Rowing/Canoeing Park - Rowing, Canoe/Kayak (Flatwater), & Aquatics (Marathon Swimming)

82156016yq4.jpg

National Indoor Stadium - Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline, & Handball Finals

82156018db8.jpg

82156026qu5.jpg

82156062jg5.jpg

82156041nx0.jpg

82156057re7.jpg