Beijing Look Of The Games

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was expecting more. The simplicity and olympic feel in this pic stands out though.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3034/81915655wz0.jpg

Many of the venues have great exterior structure but bland interiors with walls painted dull colours. The architecture in some venues has not filtered through to the interior. The velodrome, badminton and other venues have interiors that don't do their exteriors justice at all

81915655wz0.jpg

Even that is kinda boring. I mean what a waste of fabric with that lame logo. I would've alternated them. One post white-red; the next one red-white, etc. Just interchange the positions and it would create a little more tension and drama.

But then again, they didn't ask me. Beijing's loss.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

After Athens, I was expecting more than one pattern to be used. But I guess that was just a one time thing for now. With that said, I think, arguably, a lot of those patterns that Athens used couldn't have done the job alone as they were pretty simple.

Some of those light colors that they Beijing is using are borderline nursery, if you ask me. And the constant use of gradients produces rainbows at times - ugh. I wish they would have just done what they have in that press conference in the 2nd and 3rd pic or the medal ribbons (meaning not blend in colors with gradients). That would look more festive and Chinese.

Btw, here's an interview with Bocog's Design Director, Min Wang: http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/min_wang.html

Although i liked the "lucky cloud" pattern i think the banners that we have seen until now are rather uncreative.

One thing that i just can not understand is the lack of creativity in the olympic look in a land with a great ctreative potential.

I am missing the chinese element, i am missing the feeling that a designer tried to create modern patterns based on traditional ornaments.

The Beijing look is very Torino

Combination of Greeny-Blue contrasting with Orange/Red/Black

Like it though

Well, the main issue about the look of the games it's not just colours. It's mostly about HOW DO YOU COMBINE THEM TOGETHER and the connecting idea behind it.

Now, Torino did it in its (good working) manner. Beijing did it in another one which I find a little messed up.

Thanks heaps for the posting of the photos! I dont think the blue and green really fits... Blue for the sky??? Green for the grass???

mmm... Maybe grey for concrete?

I do like the orange and reds!

If London uses black, it won't be anymore than what Torino used.

i am missing the feeling that a designer tried to create modern patterns based on traditional ornaments.

I don't think that's necessarily needed to produce a sound Look. That concept suited Athens wonderfully, as its great 'Image and Identity' program lead to a Look that presented a country and a city in balance with the ancient and the modern. I think Beijing is just simply trying to reflect the Chinese concept of "harmony" with the values of the Games - The lucky cloud design is very Chinese; it's elegant and festive, and speaks to this concept of "harmony". It's similar to how Salt Lake tied in its theme of "the fire within" with the rugged landscape of Utah and the West.

The only problem I have with the Beijing's Look is some of the color choices and the use of that color. One minute, it's very light, almost like pastels. Then, there's a hint of some bright neons. But most of the time, they use some very classy shades and tones of reds, yellows, greens, and blues - only to messed them up with multiple gradients.

I was really expecting more red than there looks to be.

look almost he same as Athens and Torino lets hope London realy cracks out the fluros!

I am glad it's not to much red. Indeed, it looks almost the same as Athens if I see the colours in some venues.

But not all is ready, so maybe we have some surprises. Maybe it looks great watching television. We'll see.

I was really expecting more red than there looks to be.

look almost he same as Athens and Torino lets hope London realy cracks out the fluros!

Future looks of Games will revolve pretty much around shades of Blue and Green. Those have proven to be the 'coolest' colors for color TV transmission backgrounds. If you find a Games using YELLOW or ORANGE as their dominant color, they have not been advised correctly.

You are not going to see the Neon Pink in the field-of-play banners for London. If you do, they don't know what they are doing. Probably more along shades of Cerulean Blue. Sochi will go Green to hide its disregard for environemental concerns.

Future looks of Games will revolve pretty much around shades of Blue and Green. Those have proven to be the 'coolest' colors for color TV transmission backgrounds. If you find a Games using YELLOW or ORANGE as their dominant color, they have not been advised correctly.

You are not going to see the Neon Pink in the field-of-play banners for London. If you do, they don't know what they are doing. Probably more along shades of Cerulean Blue. Sochi will go Green to hide its disregard for environemental concerns.

Pretty much London's logo already revealed some shocking potentials to shock more people in 4 years later

Pretty much London's logo already revealed some shocking potentials to shock more people in 4 years later

But the bright colors are only in small doses. Study the past, MJ.

LA-1984's color palette was pretty much the same as London's are: magenta, fuschia (hot pink), purple, some dashes of lemon. But LA did NOT over use those colors in the buntings that went around the arenas.

The trick is NOT to do overdo anything. The arenas will have the longest duration of TV exposure, thus the buntings around them must be of the cooler blue AND green hues.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It looks similar to Athens' games look, nothing original except lucky clouds. Athens 2004 was far more creative and stylish than these traditional colours.

I am missing those historical Chinese characters and Asian look of creativity. Doha 2006 Asian games was much Arabic and eastern styled game

203824152_d1b85d1b83_o.jpg

Athenes2004-6.jpg

1655781685_25f8a8d8fa_b.jpg

Athens 2004 colour scheme was simply FANTASTIC.

But the bright colors are only in small doses. Study the past, MJ.

LA-1984's color palette was pretty much the same as London's are: magenta, fuschia (hot pink), purple, some dashes of lemon. But LA did NOT over use those colors in the buntings that went around the arenas.

The trick is NOT to do overdo anything. The arenas will have the longest duration of TV exposure, thus the buntings around them must be of the cooler blue AND green hues.

I thought it was pink...wasn't it? Anyway I can smell LOCOG dare to pick the yob version of avart-garde as their ideal symbol of London...Don't cause Epileptic Seizures again that would be the milestone. :rolleyes: