Volleyball

Random thought: Is anyone else distracted from the match when they show the Beijing beach babe cheerleaders? I can't help but laugh when I see them on the sidelines during time outs and such.

Athens had cheerleaders but they didn't seem half as active as those here in Beijing...

Also congrats to the ladies US Beach Volleyball team!

If i'm not mistaken the Beijing cheerleaders went through a work shop with the New England Patriots cheerleaders. i saw a clip of the Patriots cheerleaders in Beijing.

here's the link

http://wbztv.com/video/?cid=37

just type patriots cheerleaders.

Random thought: Is anyone else distracted from the match when they show the Beijing beach babe cheerleaders? I can't help but laugh when I see them on the sidelines during time outs and such.

Athens had cheerleaders but they didn't seem half as active as those here in Beijing...

Also congrats to the ladies US Beach Volleyball team!

If anything, I'm disappointed they don't show the whole cheerleading routine!! Who cares about the volleyball matches?!?!?

And some of those gals are really cute, too.

US Men beat Russia to be in the Gold Medal match vs. the winner of Italy-Brazil -- probably Brazil!!

If so, one of the few times in history, that the Mens & Womens Finals will be played by the same 2 countries: USA and Brazil. It was the same for the Men's Beach Volleyball match -- but Kerri Walsh-Misty May had Chinese gals for their Gold medal match.

This is Brazil's #2 Sport, Soccer being #1. The USA has already beaten them in Women's Soccer, Men's Beach and Indoor Volleyball. They've managed to salvage the Women's Indoor Volleyball as they're the favorites to win that side. It's been a disappointment for Brazil in soccer and beach volleyball.

Wow!! Just found out that the US Indoor men won Gold. Sweet.

Tried to stay incommunicado re this since I am on the US Best Coast and won't be getting the telecast until tonight.

So, Men's first gold in 20 years since Seoul. So, maybe 2016 will also prove to be golden for Chicago -- 20 years after Atlanta.

I love volleyball...is one of my favorite sports. Unfortunately here in the UK it is very difficult so find a channel that shows the tournaments leave alone the games in the olympics. They keep showing badminton that frankly I couldn't care less about it and I don't know one person who does.

----------------

Neha Maria

http://www.drugaddiction.net/west-virginia

I have recorded the gold-medal game against Brazil and I've watched it 4 times now. It just doesn't get old. IMO, I'll put this the #1 achievement in all of team sports for the USA winning gold in Beijing. Yes, include the basketball and beach volleyball teams, this one I think tops all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
This is Brazil's #2 Sport, Soccer being #1. The USA has already beaten them in Women's Soccer, Men's Beach and Indoor Volleyball. They've managed to salvage the Women's Indoor Volleyball as they're the favorites to win that side. It's been a disappointment for Brazil in soccer and beach volleyball.

Yes. It was dissapointing, specially in soccer. We still couldn´t get a gold medal, neither with the boys nor the girls. Hypolito (in men´s floor on Gymnastics) was another big dissapointment.

As for indoor volleyball.....Actually, for us, the loss of the gold medal in indoor volleyball was not a dissapointment, as it may seems. Brazil got all important titles it could get from 2001 and 2007 - except from 1 World League, 1 PanAm games and 2 America´s Cups, where they got silver, bronze, silver and silver. They won so much that we didn´t felt they were obligated to win this time. And we´re sure our volleyball teams still can do a lot in the future.

We have to consider that the US team made a work of 4 YEARS, studying Brazil´s style of play. I remember, in a interview, the american coach saying that if they wanted to win anything in volleyball they should be able to defeat Brazil. So he conducted his team in all those years with only one goal: defeating Brazil. And they achieved that. Interesting to notice that the games against Russia and Serbia were, in a certain way, more challenging than the final, simply because they spent so much time studying Brazil that they couldn´t count much on strategy against these teams. The final was a very, very strategic game and the US deserved this gold medal, as it deserved the World League title.

Ah... just to complete the information. Brazil won 2 WChamps, 2 WCups, 1 PanAm Games, 1 AmCup, 6WLeagues, 1 OG, 3 SAmerican Cups, 2 ChCup in only 7 years. This can demonstrate how huge was US achievement in defeating them.

We have to consider that the US team made a work of 4 YEARS, studying Brazil´s style of play. I remember, in a interview, the american coach saying that if they wanted to win anything in volleyball they should be able to defeat Brazil. So he conducted his team in all those years with only one goal: defeating Brazil. And they achieved that. Interesting to notice that the games against Russia and Serbia were, in a certain way, more challenging than the final, simply because they spent so much time studying Brazil that they couldn´t count much on strategy against these teams. The final was a very, very strategic game and the US deserved this gold medal, as it deserved the World League title.

I don't know that there's a particular 'Brazilian' way of playing other than a 'seemingly more relaxed' way (or that very "cute" 'victory' dance the Brazilian indoor men do...tap the forearms, and then kinda flick the fingers... (the good-looking Endres brothers do it so well..). But when you get tense, you get tense on the court whether you're Brazilian, Cuban, Russian, American or Serbian.

You either play great volleyball or not...and particularly in the men's game, it's power, power, power. ANd if you're agile and have REALLY good teamwork, then you're off to great things. Roger, I think the top teams all scout each other, too.

All the teams were great, but it is a grueling schedule....and everyone is TIRED at the end of the season. I think the US boys were probably just a little less tired than the others and PEAKED at the right time. Considering they also had to deal with the murder of Coach McCutchen's father-in-law, I think that's what spurred the US guys to win: to do it for their grieving coach.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

You either play great volleyball or not...and particularly in the men's game, it's power, power, power. ANd if you're agile and have REALLY good teamwork, then you're off to great things. Roger, I think the top teams all scout each other, too.

Brazil´s coach changed some of the setter main functions. Instead of just tossing the ball for an attacker, he introduced the act of fooling the defenses with different moves, specially when attacking from the 3-meter line. In almost every tossing two or three players jump for the attack, confusing defenses. Our previous setter, Ricardo, was excellent in doing that, even when tossing from the back of the court. Marcelo Elgarten do not do that with the same speed and technique, so it´s easier for the other teams to read his movements and either block or defend.

Power never was a characteristic of the Brazilian team, since we don´t have many players taller then 2 m, like Russia or Serbia ou even the USA. Our players are not very tall, so we must use speed and strategy to win. And Bernardinho showed the world that this really make a difference between teams who rely only on power.