Volleyball

BBC Sport's Desktop Monkey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/monkey/7479984.stm

Hello! I'm Monkey, your guide to the Beijing Games - now in handy desktop form.

Install me to keep up to date with your favourite Olympic sports and get reminders when events are starting.

Click the button on the right to download me - but make sure you read the terms of use first. You might get a message asking you to "open" or "save" me - choose "open" as that'll install me straight away.

Other ways to install

If you aren't able to install me using the button above, fear not - there is another way.

1. Go to the Adobe website and install Adobe Air, which is the software I use.

Adobe Air website

2. Once you've done that click here to download me, and double-click the file named "bbcolympics.air".

Make sure you read through the "Terms of use" tab before you install me, so you know what you're getting! By downloading me, you confirm you've read and agreed to all the terms. They're boring but important.

You also need to make sure you've got the right kit, because I need some creature comforts before I make myself at home on your desktop.

So before downloading, check you have 10mb disk space and that you're using one of these operating systems:

• Windows 2000/XP/Vista

• MacOS X 10.4/10.5

You can check the minimum system requirements on Adobe's website.

Adobe Air system requirements

Tell us what you think about desktop Monkey, or report errors, using the "Feedback" tab.

Dear GB posters,

As the Beijing Games approach, in an effort to keep the files sane and manageable, how about filing all sports-specific stories under their own thread? So, like I'm starting this one for Volleyball (both Indoor and Beach).

It would just make it more SANE..

Thanks.

Excellent Idea! Good to see the common sense approach still exists lol

USA men stun host Brazil in 3 games in World League semifimal in RIo. (Not a good omen for 2009-2016.)

The USA overcomes host Brazil and will play the gold medal match

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 26 – The USA is at one step from its first FIVB World League title. In the first semifinal of this Saturday, July 26, the American beat the host of the Final Round, Brazil, by 3-0 (25-23, 25-22 and 27-25), at Maracanazinho Gymnasium, in Rio de Janeiro and assured its spot in the gold medal match, to be played on Sunday, July 27. The USA’s opponent in the decisive match will be known after the second semifinal, at 1:15 p.m. (local time), between Serbia and Russia.

Brazilian wing-spiker Dante was the best scorer of the match with 17 points. In the American side, Stanley scored 16 points.

As it was expected, the beginning of the match was very balanced. Brazil took advantage of a good block, while the USA was better in defense. With Dante spiking, Brazil went to the first technical timeout with 8-7. The American Team started using better its serve and, attentive in the defense and efficient in the spikes, took the control of the match (12-10) after a spike of David Lee. But the lead did not least so much. With Giba in the serve and Andre Nascimento in the net, Brazil made 13-12. The teams kept the good rhythm until the end of the set, when the USA closed the partial (25-23) with a spike of William Priddy.

With a thrilled Giba in the net, Brazil looked like recovered from the first set’s defeat and scored 3-1. Lloy Ball’s distribution was good and with three consecutive points of Clayton Stanley the USA reacted: 7-5. In another spike of Stanley, the difference increased to 11-7. In the second TTO, the American had a 16-13 lead. Then, Bernardo Rezende tried to improve the team changing the players and putted Samuel, Bruno and Rodrigao in the court. After an outstanding rally, Clayton Stanley spiked to put the USA still closer to the win: 22-17. Stanley, ever again, had the set ball: 25-22.

Lloy Ball kept his good creativity in the beginning of the third set and Brazilian block was not able to stop the American spikers. However, the host team’s defense worked better and it was important in the 8-7 lead in the first technical timeout. With a good attention over Stanley, Brazil stopped American’s spiker and increased the advantage to 12-9. The USA reacted with Priddy flying from the backcourt and reverted the score: 15-14. Stanley got back to the game in scored three serve points in a row, making 18-14. Brazil reduced the difference and tied the set in the 22th point, but was not able to avoid the defeat: 27-25 in a mistake of Anderson.

Who will the US face in the finals, as the other semi-final Russia-v.-Serbia gets underway?

Finals tomorrow.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The draw for the 1st round of the Beach Volleybal Tournament is out.

Women’s Preliminary Round pools

Pool A

Tian Jia-Wang, China (No. 1 seed)

Maaseide-Glesnes, Norway

Van Breedam-Mouha, Belgium

Montagnolli-Swoboda, Austria

Pool B

Walsh-May-Treanor, USA (No. 2 seed)

Hakedal-Torlen, Norway

Fernandez Grasset-Larrea Peraza, Cuba

Teru Saiki-Kusuhara, Japan

Pool C

Juliana-Larissa, Brazil (No. 3 seed)

Barnett-Cook, Australia

Uryadova-Shiryaeva, Russia

Saka-Rtvelo, Georgia

Pool D

Xue-Zhang Xi, China (No. 4 seed)

Goller-Ludwig, Germany

Koutroumanidou-Tsiartsiani, Greece

Augoustides-Nel, South Africa

Pool E

Branagh-Youngs, USA (No. 5 seed)

Pohl-Rau, Germany

Esteves Ribalta-M. Crespo, Cuba

Kadijk-Mooren, Netherlands

Pool F

Talita-Renata, Brazil (No. 6 seed)

Karantasiou-Arvaniti, Greece

Schwaiger-Schwaiger, Austria

Candelas-Garcia, Mexico

Men’s Preliminary Round pools

Pool A

Xu-Wu, China (No. 1 seed)

Herrera-Mesa, Spain

Kais Kr.-Vesik, Estonia

Gosch-Horst, Austria

Pool B

Rogers-Dalhausser, USA (No. 2 seed)

Heyer-Heuscher, Switzerland

Conde-Baracetti, Argentina

Samoilovs-Plavins, Latvia

Pool C

Ricardo-Emanuel, Brazil (No. 3 seed)

Schacht-Slack, Australia

Geor-Gia, Georgia

Fernandes-Morais, Angola

Pool D

Marcio Araujo-Fabio Luiz, Brazil (No. 4 seed)

Barsouk-Kolodinsky, Russia

Doppler-Gartmayer, Austria

Lione-Amore, Italy

Pool E

Nummerdor-Schuil, Netherlands (No. 5 seed)

Klemperer-Koreng, Germany

Kjemperud-Skarlund, Norway

Laciga M.-Schnider, Switzerland

Pool F

Brink-Dieckmann Ch., Germany (No. 6 seed)

Gibb-Rosenthal, USA

Boersma E.-Ronnes, Netherlands

Asahi-Shiratori, Japan

The draw for the 1st round of the Beach Volleybal Tournament is out.

Women’s Preliminary Round pools

Pool A

Tian Jia-Wang, China (No. 1 seed)

Maaseide-Glesnes, Norway

Van Breedam-Mouha, Belgium

Montagnolli-Swoboda, Austria

Pool B

Walsh-May-Treanor, USA (No. 2 seed)

Hakedal-Torlen, Norway

Fernandez Grasset-Larrea Peraza, Cuba

Teru Saiki-Kusuhara, Japan

Pool C

Juliana-Larissa, Brazil (No. 3 seed)

Barnett-Cook, Australia

Uryadova-Shiryaeva, Russia

Saka-Rtvelo, Georgia

Pool D

Xue-Zhang Xi, China (No. 4 seed)

Goller-Ludwig, Germany

Koutroumanidou-Tsiartsiani, Greece

Augoustides-Nel, South Africa

Pool E

Branagh-Youngs, USA (No. 5 seed)

Pohl-Rau, Germany

Esteves Ribalta-M. Crespo, Cuba

Kadijk-Mooren, Netherlands

Pool F

Talita-Renata, Brazil (No. 6 seed)

Karantasiou-Arvaniti, Greece

Schwaiger-Schwaiger, Austria

Candelas-Garcia, Mexico

Men’s Preliminary Round pools

Pool A

Xu-Wu, China (No. 1 seed)

Herrera-Mesa, Spain

Kais Kr.-Vesik, Estonia

Gosch-Horst, Austria

Pool B

Rogers-Dalhausser, USA (No. 2 seed)

Heyer-Heuscher, Switzerland

Conde-Baracetti, Argentina

Samoilovs-Plavins, Latvia

Pool C

Ricardo-Emanuel, Brazil (No. 3 seed)

Schacht-Slack, Australia

Geor-Gia, Georgia

Fernandes-Morais, Angola

Pool D

Marcio Araujo-Fabio Luiz, Brazil (No. 4 seed)

Barsouk-Kolodinsky, Russia

Doppler-Gartmayer, Austria

Lione-Amore, Italy

Pool E

Nummerdor-Schuil, Netherlands (No. 5 seed)

Klemperer-Koreng, Germany

Kjemperud-Skarlund, Norway

Laciga M.-Schnider, Switzerland

Pool F

Brink-Dieckmann Ch., Germany (No. 6 seed)

Gibb-Rosenthal, USA

Boersma E.-Ronnes, Netherlands

Asahi-Shiratori, Japan

According to the tickets I got, I'm a little bit disapointed of the draw results.

I wish I could get more tickets involving the women's F group.

The most interesting match of the fisrt round will definitevelly be :

for men : in the C group, Ricardo/Emanuel against Schacht/Slack

the repeat of last year final at the Montreal's SWATCH Beach Volleyball World Cup

for women : in the F group, Renata/Talita against Karantasiou-Arvaniti

both are very serious contender for a medal (not on the Sports Illustrated list, but on mine ;) )

The most interesting match of the fisrt round will definitevelly be :

for men : in the C group, Ricardo/Emanuel against Schacht/Slack

the repeat of last year final at the Montreal's SWATCH Beach Volleyball World Cup

FIVB just released the match shedules.

Very happy to see that I got aticket for that match on the 13th

Here's the link for the first round schedule :

http://www.fivb.org/en/BeachVolleyball/com...layschedule.pdf

I had fun watching yesterday's women's volleyball match between USA and Japan. Great stuff! The points are so close. Japan could have won it. But I guess luck was on USA. USA won 3-1.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest:

WOMEN - Indoor

The semifinals are set on Thursday: Brazil v. China; Cuba v. USA. Serbia, Italy, Russia and Japan were dispatched.

On the MEN's side: quarters on Wed: USA will again play Serbia; Russia will play BULG; Brazil v. China; ; and Italy v. Polish men.

Semi-final matchups (my predictions) USA v. Russia; Brazil v. Poland.

In BITCH Volleyb - Walsh and Misty May will play one of the Chinese teams for the gold tomorrow; and I think Dalhauser-Rogers are still alive on the men's side.

The women's beach gold medal match showed that May-Walsh deserve the gold (even if their 400+ wins with a handful of losses since the Athens games, and 107 consecutive wins this year wasn't a clear enough sign). And it was beautiful to hear about May's mothers ashes in both Athens and here in Beijing.

However, I have to say that I am excited to see how Tian-Wang do in London. They did an amazing job and I think they may be the medal favorites in 2012 for sure.

Random thought: Is anyone else distracted from the match when they show the Beijing beach babe cheerleaders? I can't help but laugh when I see them on the sidelines during time outs and such.

Athens had cheerleaders but they didn't seem half as active as those here in Beijing...

Also congrats to the ladies US Beach Volleyball team!