Dubai - Abu Dhabi 2020

zenica

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unless the gulf state buy American TV networks or build venues to host the games in August there is no possible way that they will be awarded in the near future. The influence of the America TV contract and that past September 1st is useless for NBC or any America Tv network I cannot see an olympics being awarded to Dubai , Qatar or any place having to stage outside of July and August. Even the new Youth Olympics to be first staged in Singapore have those restrictions although more in keeping with the athletes who in the 14 to 18 year age group generally have to attend school in the spring fall and winter.

The Gulf States certainly have the resources financially the problem is Climate .

Jim jones

To be or not be a question of the future sporta.odnosno whether or no money?

Zen, we all know money is not the drawback for Abu Dhabi or Dubai _ they're rolling in it! But climate, seasonal timnng, lack of of sports tradition and the fact that, even if they are peaceful (sort of) themselves, they're smack bang in the middle of the biggest source of international troubles of the world mean that neither are going to be considered seriously for a LONG time. Something the IOC pretty well admitted when they dropped Abu Dhabi from their 2016 short list despite scoring higher than others who did make it (Rio, anyone?)

• 10 months later...

Looks like Dubai are making serious plans.

The ruler of Dubai has urged officials to chase the Olympic dream for 2020, saying "nothing is impossible".

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, vice president and prime minister of UAE, made his comments at the first meeting of the Supreme Organising Committee of the Working Group of Dubai 2020.

The meeting held at the Emirates Towers was chaired by the Crown Prince of Dubai, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, news agency WAM reported.

arabianbusiness.com

Zen, we all know money is not the drawback for Abu Dhabi or Dubai _ they're rolling in it! But climate, seasonal timnng, lack of of sports tradition and the fact that, even if they are peaceful (sort of) themselves, they're smack bang in the middle of the biggest source of international troubles of the world mean that neither are going to be considered seriously for a LONG time. Something the IOC pretty well admitted when they dropped Abu Dhabi from their 2016 short list despite scoring higher than others who did make it (Rio, anyone?)

Don't you mean when they dropped Doha? ;)

Blame Zen - he must've distracted me by having Abu Dhabi in the thread title.

:rolleyes:

UAE. The committee of the 'Dubai 2020' Working Group, tasked with bringing the Olympic games to the city, held its first meeting Monday at the Emirates Towers under the Chairmanship of the Crown Prince of Dubai HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

Dubai Ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum attended a segment of the meeting according to the official news agency WAM.

Sheikh Mohammed directed the Chairman and members of the Group to work as a one team to enable the UAE to win bids for Expo and the Olympics in 2020, WAM said.

"Nothing is impossible as long as we have the determination for change, not change of determination," Sheikh Mohammed told the Group members.

The Group members included several other members of the emirate's political elite, suggesting strong government support for a possible bid.

The Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki said they were considering bidding for the 2020 Summer Olympics in tandem with a campaign to promote a nuclear-free world.

Rome and Venice are reportedly preparing to host the 2020 Summer Olympics. Other cities including Cape Town, Durban and Rabat have also been mentioned as possible candidates.

The International Olympic Committee is to announce the 2020 host city in 2013.

Business Intelligence MiddleEast

You know, this could be an interesting bid depending what money they're going to throw at it.

Blame Zen - he must've distracted me by having Abu Dhabi in the thread title.

:rolleyes:

You know, this could be an interesting bid depending what money they're going to throw at it.

I would agree. And considering Dubai is much bigger than Doha, do you think that the IOC *might* contemplate it a little bit more than they did Doha?

I have a strong opinion about this: it's not going to happen!

Like Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi will get a technical excuse for not being short-listed, because the IOC doesn't want to enumerate all the reasons why they just don't want to take the SOG there.

I'll present a list of 4 main issues keeping those countries to host:

1. The IOC will not let Qatar or UAE upgrade their status in the Olympic Movement by hosting before they really try to build a real olympic team. Those countries need to show a better participation in the sport events, before trying to host. Both countries have almost no athletes and the best ones are usually foreigners hired to bear their flags. By the way, the IOC has just issued a statement that it will create safeguards to keep the market of dual citizenship in order to defend a different country in the Olympics.

2. Those arab countries have laws that define women as a second class citizens. I know a case of a Brazilian women who was living in Dubai with her husband. They decided to buy tickets in separate flights to save money, when going to Brazil to spend Christmas. Since her flight left 2 hours after her husband's, she was not allowed to check in because there was no authorization of her husband for her to leave the country. Yes, in Dubai, women are like children. They need an authorization from the man responsible for her (father, husband or older brother) in order to leave the country. With all the gender equality initiatives on the part of the IOC, I doubt that they will take that risk.

3. The heat and the SOG dates. This is a big problem, but I guess it has been thoroughly discussed here.

4. The security plan will be very difficult to implement. One thing is to develop a program to avoid prospective islamic terrorists to enter the UK, Brazil, the US, etc. Another is trying to keep them away from the area where they mix with the crouds. The more indigenous Islamic groups you have in your country, the harder it is to avoid terrorist attacks. Hence the worries London raises with its active terrorist groups in comparison to Rio's street crime. Terrorists are attracted to the SOG because their attacks are publicity stunts, while street criminals are more opportunistic and tend to hide from getting attention. So, security will be a real concern.

For those reasons, I would suggest for Istanbul to jump in if a lot of Arab countries bid at the same time. The IOC would rather give the event to a Muslim countries which doesn't share all the issues listed above. North African Arab countries, like Morocco, might also benefit from that.

For those reasons, I would suggest for Istanbul to jump in if a lot of Arab countries bid at the same time. The IOC would rather give the event to a Muslim countries which doesn't share all the issues listed above. North African Arab countries, like Morocco, might also benefit from that.

I've always thought that if the IOC was very interested in taking the Games to the Middle East for the first-time, that it would be Istanbul (Turkey), the most moderate of all the Muslim cities (nations). However, Istanbul's very poor plan is whats preventing them to succeed.

And while I would agree, for the most part, on all the points listed here, I have to mention that in the terms of point #4, what is the difference with Sochi hosting the 2014 Winter Olympics in a region known for terrorism? Surely the Chenchen rebels could blend in with the crowd there, too.

Btw, when was this incident with the Brazilian woman at the Dubai airport? Because isn't the UAE the most progressive out of all the Gulf states? Was it more of an issue with the airline she was flying with? Another Gulf state carrier, perhaps?

Just let me point out though, that I'm not convinced that Dubai would have any great chances of succeeding, either. However, I do think that the IOC might appease the bid moreso than they did Doha. I don't think the IOC would want to be accused of "closing the door on the Arab world" for a 2nd time in a row. Although, if Istanbul bids again (which it looks like they are), then I could see the IOC dumping Dubai too, since then they'll have Istanbul to toy with in that category.

If the 2 traditional continents of the Games, Europe and No. America, are NOT going to run any Alpha city candidates for 2020, and CapeTown might look like a walk-away winner, I think they will let Dubai bid...if only for the money it will throw the PR companies that package bids and sort of are at the beck and call of the IOC as well.

It would be boring to only have CapeTown, Busan and Dubai. (I think Rome will reconsider when CapeTown makes its intentions clearer. I don't believe the Romans are as bull-headed as the Madrilenos were. For one thing, their Juan Antonio Samaranch, Nebolo, is long gone. I think ROme might run more for 2024 especially, if the rumors are true that Paris is now SOG-shy.)

Btw, when was this incident with the Brazilian woman at the Dubai airport? Because isn't the UAE the most progressive out of all the Gulf states? Was it more of an issue with the airline she was flying with? Another Gulf state carrier, perhaps?

I to have heard the UAE is a little more liberal with it's treatment of women compared to Saudi Arabia and Iran. In the UAE women are allowed to drive and I am sure they are allowed to go to places without a man's consent.

Another thing that I think may be of a concern to the IOC in awarding the games to the UAE is their treatment towards the LGBT individuals - homosexual acts are punishable by death in the UAE :( .

Another thing that I think may be of a concern to the IOC in awarding the games to the UAE is their treatment towards the LGBT individuals - homosexual acts are punishable by death in the UAE :( .

I guess the UAE is not as liberal as I thought then. Not even China is that backwards. That's why I firmly believe that Istanbul (Turkey) is the best chance for the Muslim world to host the Olympics, the most liberal & moderate of all the muslim nations. Istanbul just needs to seriously revamp their Olympic plan.

I guess the UAE is not as liberal as I thought then. Not even China is that backwards. That's why I firmly believe that Istanbul (Turkey) is the best chance for the Muslim world to host the Olympics, the most liberal & moderate of all the muslim nations. Istanbul just needs to seriously revamp their Olympic plan.

Yes, unfortunately that is their stance - but from what I read that is usually towards their own citizens. If you are a foreigner or tourist you are usually deported immediately. I to was shocked when I heard that a couple of years ago but it was good to know as a gay man not to strut my stuff while there.

I agree with you that Istanbul would be the best bet for a Muslim country to host!

I to have heard the UAE is a little more liberal with it's treatment of women compared to Saudi Arabia and Iran. In the UAE women are allowed to drive and I am sure they are allowed to go to places without a man's consent.

That may be true, but my GAY friend who lives there for 3 years has a "straight" arab boyfriend who is married, and says the arab men dabble regularly. Also says underage sex is common and just swept under the rug, no pun intended. I guess this may be the case in many places around the world.

Archived