Afp-interview With Rogge

I slowly get the feeling that Rogge doesn't know what he is talking about - e.g. the requirement of 2-2.5 m inhabitants for Summer Olympics is not really sophisticated:

Athens - city: 745,000

Athens - metropolitan area: 3,192,606

He mentions Athens with 3 m - in this case he takes the number of the metroplitan area, but in the same interview he uses for Leipzig the numbers of the city

Leipzig - city: 510,000

Saxon triangle (metropolitan area including Leipzig): 3,2 m inhabitants

Saxon triangle

I think he didn't have to say it. If one had any judgmental abilities, (s)he would know that anywhere in the Middle East is too hot and too risky.

Now, if all the candidates were Baghdad, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Riyadh, then...

Too hot, not necessarily if you allow for the Games to take place outside the July/August time frame.

Too risky, I don't know. I certainly would put Doha and Dubai in the same group as Baghdad, Kuwait, Riyadh. Doha has a track record of hosting a lot of events safely. Granted, it would be a more riskier host than Tokyo for example, but I am not sure it is "too" risky. Let's not forget that by selecting Seoul over Nagoya, Sochi over Salzburg, the IOC has made some risky choices in the past.

Interesting that Rogge only mentione cities and not countries as far as capability to hold an Olympics. Salzburg comes to mind and the reaction for the Austrians after beig eliminated early again. They stated the that the IOC has more or less restricted the Olympics to big money nations that promise the world or something along those lines. London and Sochi are prime examples.

I think eventually at some point the IOC will encounter another Montreal, a city will incur such expenses that they are left with a huge debt.

I slowly get the feeling that Rogge doesn't know what he is talking about - e.g. the requirement of 2-2.5 m inhabitants for Summer Olympics is not really sophisticated:

Athens - city: 745,000

Athens - metropolitan area: 3,192,606

He mentions Athens with 3 m - in this case he takes the number of the metroplitan area, but in the same interview he uses for Leipzig the numbers of the city

Leipzig - city: 510,000

Saxon triangle (metropolitan area including Leipzig): 3,2 m inhabitants

Saxon triangle

But again, the areas in this Saxon triangle are well over 50 miles from one another & the core in this case, which would be Leipzig (which would make transport extremely lengthy & difficult). It's not a consistent urban sprawl like Athens, San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Berlin, etc. where all the infrastructure is *within* the metropolitan area & not seperated by such great distances.

Interesting, Rogge states that Middle-East won't host the Games (contrary to what he stated a few months ago... how surprising).

Isn't it though. He just keeps the lip-service going, doesn't he. I just can't take him seriously anymore, cuz he'll just change his view(s) the following day, & then the day after that.

But again, the areas in this Saxon triangle are well over 50 miles from one another & the core in this case, which would be Leipzig (which would make transport extremely lengthy & difficult). It's not a consistent urban sprawl like Athens, San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Berlin, etc. where all the infrastructure is *within* the metropolitan area & not seperated by such great distances.

I know FYI - I have already said that I agree that Leipzig metropolitan area is not comparable to other megacities....

Too hot, not necessarily if you allow for the Games to take place outside the July/August time frame.

Too risky, I don't know. I certainly would put Doha and Dubai in the same group as Baghdad, Kuwait, Riyadh. Doha has a track record of hosting a lot of events safely. Granted, it would be a more riskier host than Tokyo for example, but I am not sure it is "too" risky. Let's not forget that by selecting Seoul over Nagoya, Sochi over Salzburg, the IOC has made some risky choices in the past.

Risky? You're right about Doha being different from a city like Badghdad, but the close proximity to extremist groups like Hizbollah, Hamas, and Al-Qaeda probably make the IOC a bit too uncomfortable. They don't want a repeat of what happened in Munich or more likely, something worse. I lso have said that this is the reason Istanbul has not been successful.

Archived