2016 Bid Timeline...

I found on the Tokyo 2016 website this timeline...

2008 August Games of the XXIX Olympiad in Beijing, the 120th IOC Session (Olympic Games Observer Program - Beijing)

2009 February Submission of the Candidature File to the IOC

March to May Evaluation Commission visits

June Technical Meeting for IOC Members (Lausanne )

17 June 45-minute Candidate City presentations with Q+A at Olympic Museum

18 June Venue plans/models/films at Lausanne Palace Business Centre

September Production of report by the 2016 IOC Evaluation Commission

October 2 The 121st IOC Session (in Copenhagen) : Election of the host city for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad in 2016

I am surprise with the 45 minutes presentation with Q+A in June ? I don't remember this from the past bid!

Is this usual? Who are the people from IOC asking questions?

Would have been still a 45 minutes presentation in front of the IOC Session ?

It's indeed a new procedure for 2016.

So basically, it's a session before the session : 45 minutes of presentation and Q&A in front of the IOC members.

Apparently it's an answer to a complaint expressed by several candidate cities in the past about no having enough opportunities to meet the IOC members.

I am very sceptical:

• How many IOC members will actually attend the event?
  • The bid books will already have been submitted so in theory the candidate cities won't be able to fine tune their plans based on the feedback of the Lausanne meeting
  • It could be seen as a dress rehearsal for the Copenhagen Session but I suspect most of the candidate cities will want to save any "secret weapon" for the actual session.

I think the only people that will benefit from this new step are the PR agencies hired by the candidate cities: they will have to prepare 2 presentations, 2 exhibits, twice as many movies...

The 2016 bid campaign is way too long anyway: almost 16 months of international campaign!

The 2016 bid campaign is way too long anyway: almost 16 months of international campaign!

And all of this could be shortened and DIRECT to the point IF they allowed SUPERVISED visits by the IOC members again. THERE'S NOTHING LIKE ACTUALLY SEEING THE CITIES and HAVING AN ACTUAL FEEL FOR THEM.

Is it certain, with this procedure, that the candidate cities would be making presentations in Copenhagen at all? I agree that it would be fair for the cities to be able to respond to the Evaluation Commission's report in their presentations and not just in written responses (and how many IOC members actually read them?).

Is it certain, with this procedure, that the candidate cities would be making presentations in Copenhagen at all? I agree that it would be fair for the cities to be able to respond to the Evaluation Commission's report in their presentations and not just in written responses (and how many IOC members actually read them?).

The candidate cities will make presentations in Copenhagen, it is certain.

And yea, I agree with Baron on this one: supervised visits (organised and paid for by the IOC) would be a fair solution for the IOC members to be truly assess the various bids (either that or have actual Evaluation Report a la CGF).

The candidate cities will make presentations in Copenhagen, it is certain.

And yea, I agree with Baron on this one: supervised visits (organised and paid for by the IOC) would be a fair solution for the IOC members to be truly assess the various bids (either that or have actual Evaluation Report a la CGF).

Actually have a rep from the other finalist cities come along as a sort of monitor to the city being visited. I think that should ensure fairness and integrity to a high degree.

Archived