It looks like CBC is going all out in their coverage before making way to CTV-Rogers for 2010 and 2010. The CBC is promising an unprecedented 2,400 hours-plus of Summer Games coverage on television, radio and the Internet.

CBC Olympic Coverage

CBC promises unprecedented Olympic coverage

Canadian Press

July 16, 2008 at 8:44 AM EDT

VANCOUVER — Coverage of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing will be high-definition and high-tech for Canadians.

The CBC is promising an unprecedented 2,400 hours-plus of Summer Games coverage on television, radio and the Internet.

"I don't think there has ever been a Games that is so well covered on so many different platforms," Scott Moore, executive director of CBC Sports, said in a conference call with reporters on Tuesday.

Getting that much of the Games in front of Canadians won't be without its challenges.

Producers are working through everything from a substantial time difference to technical concerns to the bureaucracy of the Chinese.

The government there has placed restrictions on live broadcasting in the infamous Tiananmen Square as well as on the movement of satellite trucks around Beijing as part of a perceived attempt to rein in what the foreign press in the country can and can't see.

But Moore said even those rules used to be tighter and the Chinese are opening up faster than anyone could have imagined.

"As far as access, I would say it continues to evolve but it's evolving for the most part in a positive way," he said.

"If I looked at where we were a year ago, the Chinese have bent in ways that I never would have expected them to be able to bend. We continue to have some challenges there, it is a different culture, it is a different government, so it won't be as easy as in past Games."

For the first time in Canada, all Games coverage will be filmed with high-definition cameras, even the little ones on the back of archery targets, CBC said.

Virtual-enhancements on screen, like world record pace clocks and a global positioning system for road events that will show where racers are at a given time, will further bring people into the coverage.

The 12-hour time difference between China and CBC headquarters in Toronto also means many events, including gold-medal rounds of swimming and some track competitions, will be shown live in prime time, said Trevor Pilling, the executive producer of the Olympic broadcast.

"The programming schedule really lays out nicely to allow our viewers to consume all of the big events live as they happen," he said.

"Of course we'll be bringing back all of those events as warranted off tape so that no one will ever miss anything but we will be able to offer all of those great events live as they happen for the first time."

Programming will be available on CBC television and radio in both English and French, as well as CBCsports.ca, TSN, Bell pay-per-view and CBC's digital channel called Bold.

Televised coverage will begin each morning at 6 a.m. ET and run through to noon, with hosts Scott Russell and Diana Swain.

Evening coverage will begin at 6 p.m. ET with host Ron MacLean.

For viewers in the West, Ian Hanomansing will anchor a Pacific time prime time show starting at midnight ET.

Coverage online will go the extra mile, Pilling said.

Up to nine venues will be streamed live online, some of which will be lower profile sports that may not make it onto the big screen.

"For example, we're looking at doing some coverage of badminton and table tennis that maybe wouldn't get a lot of time on CBC, TSN or Bold, but there's a certain segment of our viewers that would like to consume that," Pilling said.

"That's beauty of what streaming will do is that it augments and complements what's on broadcast but also allows you to take it a little bit deeper and a little bit further."

CBC Commentating Roster

CBC has released a list of their Olympic announcers for each sport, here they are. They have also released the analysts for some events.

Athletics - Mark Lee, Michael Smith, Dave Moorcroft, Scott Oake

Synchronized Swimming - Karin Larson, Karen Clark Le Poole

Swimming - Steve Armitage, Byron MacDonald, Scott Oake

Diving - Steve Armitage,

Basketball - Paul Romanuk, Jay Triano

Baseball - Jim Van Horne, Warren Sawkiw

Softball - Jim Van Horne, Haley Wickenheiser

Football - Nigel Reed, Jason DeVos, Erin Paul

Weightlifting - Nigel Reed, Aldo Roy

Artistic Gymnastics - Brenda Irving, Lori Strong-Ballard

Rythmic Gymnastics - Brenda Irving, BB Ignatova

Rowing - Bruce Rainnie, Barney Williams

Canoe/kayak (flatwater) - Bruce Rainnie, Scott Logan

Canoe/kayak (slalom) - Doug Dirks, Claudia Kerckhoff-Van Wijk

Volleyball - Elliotte Freidman, Charles Parkinson and Erminia Russo

Boxing - Vic Rauter, Russ Anber

Cycling - Mark Connolly, Clara Hughes

BMX Racing - Mark Connolly, Kevin O’Brien

Water Polo - Bob Snoek, George Gross Jr.

Field Hockey - Bob Snoek, Hari Kant

Tennis - Karin Larson

Triathlon - Karin Larson, Barrie Shepley

Wrestling - Karin Larson, Chris Wilson

Sailing - Peter Rusch, Fionia Kidd

Equestrian (show jumping) - Nancy Wetmore, Beth Underhill

Equestrian (dressage) - Nancy Wetmore, Cara Whitham

Judo - Jeff Marek

Taekwondo - Nigel Reed, Tino Dossantos

CBC has not said who will cover tennis with Karin Larson yet.

Olympic coverage kicks off with the Canadian women's preliminary soccer match against Argentina (CBC 4:45 a.m. ET). This will be followed by the "Beijing 2008 Preview" on August 7 (also on CBCSports.ca 8 p.m. ET) and live coverage of the Opening Ceremony on August 8 (CBC 7 a.m. ET).

CBC Television will provide 282 hours of coverage, with CBC Newsworld airing 145 hours, CBC digital channel “bold” broadcasting 250 hours, TSN offering 150 hours and CBCSports.ca providing more than 1,500 hours.

Radio-Canada and RDS will present more than 450 hours of French coverage.

Here's the schedules:

Week 1: http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/includes/schedu...ed_Week_One.pdf

Week 2: http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/includes/schedu...ed_Week_Two.pdf

Week 3: http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/includes/schedu..._Week_Three.pdf

Is there any way to see/hear CBC coverage while in Beijing besides streaming on the web? Although I am excited to be seeing the games firsthand, I forsee that it will be difficult to keep up with Canada's (and the rest of the world's progress, for that matter) progress without my trusty CBC coverage! I'll be relying on internet cafes on and off, so not the best way to keep up with our progress. If not CBC, where's a good place to keep up with olympic goings-on (Canadian or not) in English?

Its interesting that some TSN personalities are being used but not others, especially Brian Williams.

Yeah I am quite suprised that Brian Williams is not anchoring TSN's coverage. It looks like Dave Randorf and Gino Reda will be anchoring and with Vic Rauter as the only TSN announcer as part of CBC's coverage.

Yeah I am quite suprised that Brian Williams is not anchoring TSN's coverage. It looks like Dave Randorf and Gino Reda will be anchoring and with Vic Rauter as the only TSN announcer as part of CBC's coverage.

Russ Anber

Athens

Thanks to you and Faster for posting those YouTube uploads. By the way, the link above is the French version; the one below is the English version of CBC's Athens 2004 intro:

Link: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jZrlQon_bl0

The Toronto Star

The Globe and Mail

TSN

CBC

NBC

BBC

Sorry- don't know if this comment was directed at me, I was probably a bit unclear in my last message. but I will be in Beijing during the olympics and was wondering if there will be Canadian/English-speaking coverage over the radio that I will be able to receive in Beijing. I doubt the star/globe will be distributing in Beijing! And doubt that CBC coverage will actually be playing in Beijing unless I go to their studios or something (does anyone know where this is and whether they will have screens set up, etc. that we'd be able to watch their broadcasts over?).

Thanks to you and Faster for posting those YouTube uploads. By the way, the link above is the French version; the one below is the English version of CBC's Athens 2004 intro:

Link: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jZrlQon_bl0

I think starting with the Athens intro, this was where we see athletes appearing in competition in the montage. Where are the TSN Olympic openings?

Sorry- don't know if this comment was directed at me, I was probably a bit unclear in my last message. but I will be in Beijing during the olympics and was wondering if there will be Canadian/English-speaking coverage over the radio that I will be able to receive in Beijing. I doubt the star/globe will be distributing in Beijing! And doubt that CBC coverage will actually be playing in Beijing unless I go to their studios or something (does anyone know where this is and whether they will have screens set up, etc. that we'd be able to watch their broadcasts over?).

Everything I can think of will need internet.

CBC studios will be in Toronto, only the CBC print journalist and commentators will be in Beijing.

It looks like that Ron MacLean will take over Brian Williams' spot, in terms of being the commentator for CBC in the opening ceremony, along with Peter Mansbridge.