Kazakhstan To Bid Again

ghost1

PM charged Sport Ministry to prepare a bid for holding 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Kazakhstan

ASTANA. July 15. KAZINFORM /Zauresh Balkenova/ Today at a Governmental sitting Prime Minister Karim Massimov has charged the Ministry of Sport and Tourism to prepare a bid for holding Winter Olympic Games in Kazakhstan in 2018, Kazinform reports.

“In compliance with the decision of the Head of the State we should prepare a bid for participation in the next Winter Olympic Games in 2018. Last time we were among six candidates”, PM said.

The Premier also charged the Ministry to check how sports facilities will be used after Asian Games, “since they are quite expensive they shouldn’t be built and used only during Asian Games”. According to him, “Kazakhstan will probably need to study other Asian states’ experience in usage of Olympic objects”.

PM informed that ceremonial start of preparation for Winter Asian Games is to be held in autumn after the Beijing Olympics.

As Minister of Sport and Tourism T. Dosmukhambetov told, an opening ceremony of the 2011 Asian Games is scheduled for Jan 30, 2011 and will be held at a roofed stadium in Astana. The ceremony of official closing and handing over the flag will take place on Feb 6 at “Medeo” ice skating rink in Almaty. More than 10 large sports facilities are to be constructed in Almaty and Astana cities within preparation for Winter Asian Games. 2.5 thousand sportsmen from 30 countries are expected to take part in them.

This is indeed exciting! I was hoping that they'd make the shortlist on the last go. I really don't want any strong contenders for 2018 though, it should be Pyeong-Chang's party.

Oh well. Someone's gonna get hurt no matter.

The 2018 race is really setting up to be a battle royale between Munich & Pyeongchang, with Grenoble, Tromso & Reno (if any of them bid) on the sidelines in case one of the two, or both, main candidates slip. Almaty, Sofia & whoever else in the iffy category that may pop up, are really placing themselves for major disappointment. Their chances are slim to none.

The 2018 race is really setting up to be a battle royale between Munich & Pyeongchang, with Grenoble, Tromso & Reno (if any of them bid) on the sidelines in case one of the two, or both, main candidates slip. Almaty, Sofia & whoever else in the iffy category that may pop up, are really placing themselves for major disappointment. Their chances are slim to none.

Tromso has no chance either, its too remote and no infrastructure and the Norwegians won't pay the billions to upgrade the infrastructure for the city to come close to hosting when its not needed. Almaty has a better chance.

Almaty has a great chance of hosting in the future, though not in 2018. It has the size, the money and the infrastructure needs to justify hosting a games. Plus its a new region in Asia to host and would be an alternative to China/Korea/Japan.

What do you mean? Almaty is set to host the 2011 Asian Winter Games, which will provide the city with much needed experience and if successful will definitely be a plus in an Almaty 2018 bid. Though it's proximity to Sochi and Russia, will be a downside. As for Sofia, who cares? :P

Tromso has no chance either, its too remote and no infrastructure and the Norwegians won't pay the billions to upgrade the infrastructure for the city to come close to hosting when its not needed. Almaty has a better chance.

If Norway was so concerned about funding hen why the heck did they pick Tromso in the first place and not Oslo & Lillehammer. Most of the needed infrastructure would've already been in place.

Well, for starters, Oslo & Lillehammer have already hosted, so that I'm sure played in as a factor, especially recent host Lillihammer. And Lillihammer had to build virtually eveything from scratch too when they placed their bid, but whatever.

Trondheim would've been the Norwegians best candidate for 2018; new host city & more infrastructure in place. But who knows what the NOC was actually thinking. Tromso was a surprise when they picked them.

And Almaty could host in the future, but the thread is however, about 2018 & not Almaty's potential "down the road" chances. I think Sofia could very well be Eastern Europe's next winter Games too, but they have to better prepare & I don't see that anytime soon either. More like sometime in the 2030's @ the earliest for the next E.E. Games.

Based on the 2014 applications and the fact that Almaty will host the 2011 Winter Asian Games, at the moment, I would rank Almaty higher than Sofia as a likely future host.

However, with Sochi hosting 2014, it's highly unlikely that Almaty could host 2018. They could make the short list however.

Based on the 2014 applications and the fact that Almaty will host the 2011 Winter Asian Games, at the moment, I would rank Almaty higher than Sofia as a likely future host.

However, with Sochi hosting 2014, it's highly unlikely that Almaty could host 2018. They could make the short list however.

Agreed, if PC loses in 2018, Almaty could be a very strong alternative Asian bid.

i think almaty had a good proposal for 2014. i was happily surprised reading its bid book.

anyway in my opinion kazakhstan has really few chances to host 2018 due to Sochi 2014...it's a political-geographical issue, i think.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Almaty had a great bid, but it suffered the worst case scenario with Sochi's win. Almaty, along with Madrid, are good bids, but for now they remain casualties from the successes of neighbouring bids. Bidding has been so intense and varied in the past decade that it seems like there are so many cinderella now-or-never bids that would either be miraculous success stories or an indefinite defeat.

Right now Kazakhstan should concentrate on allocating potential bid attention to athlete training and sports programs, hopefully winning some more medals and making an impact on the hardware tally. Best chances for Almaty is to law low, increase competitiveness in sports, and when the next cycle of "obvious winners" and winter sports powerhouse nations have had their share of the games, it could be the next generation's Sarajevo or Salt Lake.

I agree Almaty had a great bid, but it suffered the worst case scenario with Sochi's win. Almaty, along with Madrid, are good bids, but for now they remain casualties from the successes of neighbouring bids. Bidding has been so intense and varied in the past decade that it seems like there are so many cinderella now-or-never bids that would either be miraculous success stories or an indefinite defeat.

Right now Kazakhstan should concentrate on allocating potential bid attention to athlete training and sports programs, hopefully winning some more medals and making an impact on the hardware tally. Best chances for Almaty is to law low, increase competitiveness in sports, and when the next cycle of "obvious winners" and winter sports powerhouse nations have had their share of the games, it could be the next generation's Sarajevo or Salt Lake.

Exactly. You have to know WHEN to strike.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived