Sports Illustrated Medal Picks

What does everyone think about them?

The issue with their medal picks should be released July 28th, in two weeks.

Usually they are pretty close with the overall medal tallys within 4-5 medal range I think.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to their special Olympic edition of SI.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does everyone think about them?

The issue with their medal picks should be released July 28th, in two weeks.

Usually they are pretty close with the overall medal tallys within 4-5 medal range I think.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to their special Olympic edition of SI.

ehhh not terrible impressed with them. Usually they pick the defending world champion or top ranked players. They don't take into consideration recent events or circumstances that will have a major impact. The wife and I have a running contest -- sorta of a fantasy olympics-- and while we use the SI picks as a starting point we usually have to delve a little deeper to finalize our picks...

AJ

Netherlands was a big favourite of winning the equesterian jumpring.

Albert Zoer broke his legs last week. He was also the winner of the CHIO in Aachen. Jeroen Dubbeldam is also not going. So we are not a favourite anymore, but in the predictions SI could take two gold medals for our jumping team (individual and team) not taking in to account the recent events.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a sneak peak at medal predictions for some countries by Sports Illustrated. The National Post here in Canada leaked the picks.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/p...-14-medals.aspx

Olympics: SI expects Canada to win 15 medals

Posted: July 23, 2008, 6:45 PM by Sarah Millar

Olympics

Sports Illustrated magazine is predicting 15 medals for Canada in its pre-Olympic predictions in this week’s issue.

The magazine has forecast two gold medals, one from newly minted Canadian flag bearer Adam van Koeverden in his men’s kayak 500 metres and from the men’s rowing eights.

Host country China, which is hoping to overtake the United States in medal supremacy, will fall short according to the magazine. The U.S. will once again top the list with 121 medals (45 gold, 44 silver and 32 bronze) with China second at 102 (49 gold, 28 silver and 25 bronze). Both are substantial increases over their actual 2004 medal totals in Athens (the U.S. had 102 and China has 63).

Russia, which claimed 92 medals in 2004, is predicted to drop to 75 (25 gold, 28 silver and 22 bronze).

Canada’s expected outcome is the one more than in 2004, in which 14 were forecast but only 12 were won.

Here’s a look at which Canadians made SI’s list:

Athlete Sport Medal

Thomas Hall Men's Canoe Singles 1000-metres Silver

Adam van Koeverden Men's Kayak Singles, 500-metres Gold

van Koeverden Men's Kayak Singles 1,000-metres Silver

Marie-Helene Premont Women's Cycling, Mountain Biking Silver

Eric Lamaze Equestrian, Individual Jumping Bronze

Canada Equestrian, Team Jumping Bronze

Karen Cockburn Women's Trampoline Bronze

Calder & Frandsen Rowing Pairs, Without Cox Bronze

Canada Rowing, Men's Eights Gold

Canada Women's Rowing, Eights Bronze

Sébastien Michaud Men's Taekwondo (80 kg) Bronze

Ivett Gonda Women's Taekwondo (49 kg) Bronze

Karine Sergerie Women's Taekwondo (67kg) Silver

Carol Huynh Women's Wrestling Freestyle (48kg) Bronze

Tonya Verbeek Women's Wrestling Freestyle (55kg) Bronze

According to the predictions, Canadians will not bring home any medals from swimming, diving or track and field. Noticeably absent from the list is Alexandre Despatie, who won a silver medal in the men's three-metre diving, and was predicted by Sports Illustrated to win two medals at the Athens Games.

Here's a sneak peak at medal predictions for some countries by Sports Illustrated. The National Post here in Canada leaked the picks.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/p...-14-medals.aspx

Host country China, which is hoping to overtake the United States in medal supremacy, will fall short according to the magazine. The U.S. will once again top the list with 121 medals (45 gold, 44 silver and 32 bronze) with China second at 102 (49 gold, 28 silver and 25 bronze). Both are substantial increases over their actual 2004 medal totals in Athens (the U.S. had 102 and China has 63).

So China will be number one according to SI (because in most countries it's still the country with most gold medals who is the number one).

So China will be number one according to SI (because in most countries it's still the country with most gold medals who is the number one).

Yeah, you posted this comment before I got the chance when I just wrote they predict them to win the most gold..lol....It's a substantial increase for China. Let's see if they live up to this hype or they buckle under the home country pressure to perform.

I want to know what the predictions are for other countries, like Germany, Great Brittain, Italy, France, Netherlands, Japan, Australia.

The official magazine hasn't been released yet. I believe it comes out this upcoming Monday. You're gonna have to wait unless your home country publishes a news release saying how much SI predicts your country to win just like here in Canada.

Who knows, maybe the full medal picks will leak online before Monday.

Edited by dave199

he might get the top 3 right but after that it all goes very wrong. If Australia only win 2 gold AOC boss John Coates will be burnet at the stake!

I think it's difficult to predict the other countries. The USA, Russia and China are the top three.

For our country he even not have any prediction. He takes the medals we had four years ago. The Dutch are expecting 5 gold medals (I think Marianna Vos will winn one or two) and 15 in total. The chef du mission hopes we can get 8 gold medals and 22 in total.

If we have the same number of medals like Athens I am very happy, means 22 medals in total and four gold. In Atlanta we also had 4 gold medals but 19 in total. Sydney were super games for your country: 12 gold medals and 25 in total.

Albert Zoer (equesterian jumping) can not participate. Not good for us. He was a big favourite to win the gold medal and he also could lead the jumping team to gold (the world champions in 2006 and european champions of 2007). But we are going to miss two medals there.

Team Jumping? I highly doubt that, that is the one one I really disagree with. and Brent Hayden not medaling is a bit strange since he is a world champion and the field he won it in wasn't exactly depleted.

But overall about the same medal predictions I would make. Though Thomas Hall I would predict gold. I really hope we have more than 2 gold medals, 4 or 5 hopefully.

I believe SI`s predictions are more accurate. Did you go check their predictions for Athens? After the Top 2 (USA, Russia), they're predictions are way off.

That's what I want to find, the SI predictions for Athens 2004. Could someone post it?

I have them in print:

USA 38, 37, 36 - 111

Russia 34, 26, 25 - 85

China 31, 19, 24 - 74

Australia 19, 12, 19 - 50

Germany 14,16, 18 - 48

France 9, 17, 15 - 41

Great Britain 7, 11, 16 - 34

Italy 12, 9, 9 - 30

Cuba 12, 9, 4 - 25

Japan 7, 13, 4 - 24

I highly doubt any country will top 100, let along two.

All wrong.

Waziristan 323 gold, 16 silver, 95 bronze.

China will win a lot because it will cheat. But the Waziris will vanquish them!!

We wanna take home those Medal Girls!!

Where did you get the references that China is going to cheat? Why the other top two?