Medal Hopes

Just over three weeks out from the start of the Games, I think it would be interesting to see where our respective nations are in terms of medal hopes and expectations heading into Beijing.

For us, the BOA has set a target of 35 medals, of which ten to 12 are aimed to be gold. It's a pretty testing target at first glance and one which I think we will do well to reach. But we certainly have big expectations in sports like cycling, rowing, sailing and boxing this time round, while athletics and swimming look stronger than they have for a while.

So what about the rest of you? What are your hopes? What is a realistic target? And who are the athletes who we'll be talking about once the Games are done?

New Zealand has many medal hopes! Rowing will be very strong as will many other sports. im thinking about 10 medals for New Zealand this year... We will definately do better than 1996, 2000, 2004

Canada will be aiming for around 15 medals at these games. They are expecting to have a better performance than the Athens games since we are sending our biggest athlete delegation since the Sydney games. 15 medals is achievable with our best hopes for medals lying in Rowing, Canoeing, Diving, Swimming, Wrestling, Athletics & Gymnastics.

I'll wait for Faster to chime in as well since he most likely would like to give his opinion here.

Edited by dave199

The COC's goal is top 16 finish, which would require between a 5 and 7 gold medal performance.

Our best medal hopes are in the Men's 400m, Men's 800m, Men's K-1 500m and 100m, Men's K-2 100m, Women's Mountain Bike, Women's BMX, Men's 3m springboard, Women's 3m springboard, Women's 10m platform, Men's 3m synchro, individual show jumping, men's floor and vault, men's trampoline, men's lightweight fours, men's eights, men's 100m freestyle, men's 4x200m relay, men's 80kg, women's 49 and 67 taekwondo, men's triathlon, women's wrestling, 55 and 63kg.

And I think its our biggest delegation since Atlanta or Barcelona.

Edited by Faster

These games might not see our biggest delegation, so far, but surely the one with most quality and top-performing athletes. Thus, I expect we can win, at least, 4 medals in total -- which is saying it would be our best games ever... :D

Athletics:

*Francis Obikwelu (100m, 200m)

*Nelson Évora (triple jump)

*Naide Gomes (long jump)

*Susana Feitor (20km race walk)

Judo:

*João Neto (-81kg)

*Telma Monteiro (-52kg)

Sailing:

*João Rodrigues (RS:X)

*Gustavo Lima (Laser)

*Afonso Domingos & Bernardo Santos (Star)

*Álvaro Marinho & Miguel Nunes (470)

Triathlon:

*Vanessa Fernandes

15 medals is achievable with our best hopes for medals lying in Rowing, Canoeing, Diving, Swimming, Wrestling, Athletics & Gymnastics.

Consider also Taekwondo

Karine Sergerie is the current World Champion.

And Sebastien Michaud is also a serious contender for a medal.

And what about Marie-Helene Prémont in Mountain Bike?

I think she missed only one podium this year in the various World Cup events.

I will be very surprise if he got a medal.

He just recovered from a broken feet.

Diving Canada said he was in good form when he had to perform a full set of dives infront of them to get that conditional spot on the Olympic team. I wonder if they would lie and sugar coat it?

Turkey's probably aiming to get at least 10 medals, which is what we received in Athens. They'll most likely come from Weightlifting, wrestling and taekwondo.

I am pinning Singapore hopes of a medal on Table Tennis. Although, China will prove strong competition, I believe that Singapore can get at least a bronze or sliver.

Sailing is another sport we actually have a chance at. Singapore is the top sailing nation in Asia and I think there is a possiblity we could one or two in Qingdao.

I am pinning Singapore hopes of a medal on Table Tennis. Although, China will prove strong competition, I believe that Singapore can get at least a bronze or sliver.

Sailing is another sport we actually have a chance at. Singapore is the top sailing nation in Asia and I think there is a possiblity we could one or two in Qingdao.

what sailing classes are singapore strongest in?

Guatemala has 0 hopes of winning a medal, only a miracle.

I think all Central American countries are the same, but Panama with Irving Saladino hoping to medal in Long Jump.

...And Kim Gaevert? She may be a (longshot) dark horse.

She has never won an individual medal at a world championship. so I don't think she has real chance to win an individual medal in Beijing. And she isn't 100% fit.

Maybe our 4x100m women relay or our 4x400 men relay team can do well, but to win a medal will be very tough

KOI (Indonesia Olympic Comitee) will hope in Badminton and Weightlifting, here are the list

1 - 3 Gold Medal from : Single Man (I don't think Taufik will win the medal...), Double Man(I also doubt this chance), and Mixed Double (Yeah, this is the greatest hope :) )

the rest is Medal from Badminton and weightlifting , weightlifting also have the gold hope from Man, but I forget in which class :)

• 2 weeks later...

In my point of view the German Olympic team has chances to win medals in following sports:

AQUATICS - Diving

AQUATICS - Swimming

ATHLETICS

BADMINTON

CANOE/KAYAK - Flatwater

CANOE/KAYAK - Whitewater

CYCLING

EQUESTRIAN - Dressage

EQUESTRIAN - Jumping

FENCING

FOOTBALL

GYMNASTICS