Dog Food Banned During Olympics

LA84

Bejing has banned dog meat and ordered it be taken off the menus at 112 official Olympic restaurants.

Clicky Here

You know, I sort of have a problem with this. Although the whole concept is gross to me, WTF? Atlanta didn't take hamburgers off the menu for the Hindus. What is some New Yorker came over and wanted to see what chihuahua tasted like?

They don't eat pet dogs, and plus what's the win-win solution anyway? For banning it, some patronizing asses would be calling for a boycott, now they chosen to twist the whole option, nobody calling it cultural genocide. At least tastes better than rubbish food, lol. I always prefer Chinese food better.

The article linked is an example of crap journalism. A non-problem that a Westerner thought would make a good headline (yes, I'm a Westerner, too). Anybody who knows China and Beijing knows that:

1) Dog-eaters are primarily limited to some of the non-Han minorities that live in southern China (i.e. Guizhou), and also parts of Dongbei (northeastern China) especially in the Korean-Chinese. Only sporadically among Han Chinese in general.

2) Dog-eaters are primarily the elderly, and then only a select few of them. I have yet to meet any young or middle-aged Chinese who eats dog or specifically goes looking for a dog restaurant. Most of them gag at the thought.

3) Dog is not eaten in the summer, it is a winter dish, as it is considered a "heating" food for the body (the medicinal properties part). So maybe this would be more of an issue for a Winter Olympics, but not a Summer Games.

4) You'd have to search long and hard to find a Beijnger that eats dog, ditto finding a restaurant that serves dog. In seven years of living here and going into many many local Chinese restaurants, I haven't come across dog dishes on too many menus. I doubt that among the "112 official restaurants" more than half-a-dozen of them ever had dog dishes available to begin with.

5) Pet dogs are not the same as the Dinner dogs.

6) No, I don't eat dog meat myself.