Is There A List Of Nations Competing In Each Event?

Anyone know if there is a master list of countries that have qualified for each event? I need it to help plan out my TV viewing. Let me explain... I th past I have always made it a point to watch a little of each sport that NBC deigned to offer us (thank God for DVR :) This time I'd like to watch every nation that is competing -- At least once. I think its doable with all the online copverage, but I'm afraid if I do it with just random viewings I might miss some of the smaller teams, like say Comoros Islands. But if I could plan out ahead to watch certain events I think its in the realms of possibility. Plus I'd like to avoid just watching a mass start event like the marathon and checking off 68. I'd really like to see each countries atheletes particpate. Any thoughts?

AJ

The different websites of the International Sport Federations have lists with nations and athletes qualified.

Also the official website Beijing 2008 in the sport section has in the information about a sport lists with qualified athletes (is not up to date for all sports).

I don't think the BOCOG is going to create a masterlist with all 302 events and the countries and athletes. For each event they will.

July 23 is the entry by name datum, so at that day all athletes have to be named to BOCOG by the NOCs.

I don't know if Iraq is now allowed to take part. There are 205 NOC's, 204 are participating for sure. That's because all countries without qualified athleted are allowed to send one male and one female athletics athlete and one male and one female athlete in swimming.

I don't know if Iraq is now allowed to take part.

Of course it is! It was never banned from the Games, and it already took part in 2004. And why should it be banned, now that it's no dictatorship anymore?

Of course it is! It was never banned from the Games, and it already took part in 2004. And why should it be banned, now that it's no dictatorship anymore?

Just recently, though, the Iraqi Football Federation and the Iraq NOC were suspended over some issue or the other (I wasn't paying too much attention). The FIFA ban was lifted, I'm not sure what happened with the IOC one, or if it affects their participation or not.

Iraqi athletes face Olympic ban

By Jim Muir

BBC News, Baghdad

June 12, 2008

As if Iraq did not have enough troubles, it now faces a ban on its athletes taking part in the Beijing Olympics.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has imposed a provisional suspension on Iraq, accusing its government of political interference in the country's sporting affairs.

At the boathouse gymnasium on the banks of the Tigris in central Baghdad, Haider Nawzad and his rowing partner Hamza Hussein are doing their stretching exercises before taking their boat out on the river for a two-hour training session.

They are among just seven Iraqi athletes, from five different sports, who are qualified to take part in the Beijing Olympics.

"It's not easy training here, because the river moves fast, and there are boats crossing all the time," says Mr Haider.

In addition to the two rowers, there are two sprinters, one archer, one weightlifter, and one judo competitor.

Mr Haider came back from Sweden to join Mr Hamza in intensive training for the games.

"We also hear bombs going off, sometimes quite close, and that doesn't help either," he says.

But neither the rowers nor the other athletes know if they are going to be able to go to Beijing.

Their fate hinges on the outcome of a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, yet to be arranged, at which the IOC will explain to an Iraqi government delegation how the Olympic movement works and why the Baghdad authorities must reverse their decision to take control of the Iraqi Olympic Committee.

The government stepped in last month, dismissed the committee, and set up a transitional body to run its affairs, headed by the minister for sport.

That was completely out of line with the Olympic charter, under which national committees are elected by sports federations in the country concerned.

The committee which the government dismissed was elected in 2004, in line with the Olympic movement's regulations.

Its chairman, Ahmad al-Samarra'i, and several other members were abducted by gunmen while attending a meeting in central Baghdad in July 2006.

They have not been seen since.

The government said it took the move because the committee was corrupt and had not been functioning properly.

"The decisions taken by the government were not well studied or prepared," said Hussein al-Ameedi, Secretary-General of the dismissed Iraqi Olympic Committee.

"They did not understand the Olympic charter and the rules of the IOC. The only solution is to return to the Olympic charter and the right way of doing things.

"If the government doesn't rescind its decisions after the Lausanne meeting, there will be a complete and comprehensive suspension of all Iraqi sports at all levels.

"I can't believe any national government, or any true Iraqi, could want to see that happen."

The dispute has left the Iraqi athletes in limbo.

There is not much they can do, except wait, hope, and keep up their training.

"Of course we're angry," says Haider Nawzad the oarsman.

"We are training and preparing ourselves, and then suddenly the government takes a decision that's so bad for us."

But he and the others will continue training, in the hope that a solution will be found and they can live their dream of competing in the Beijing games.

BBC

Edited by Sir Roltel
The different websites of the International Sport Federations have lists with nations and athletes qualified.

Also the official website Beijing 2008 in the sport section has in the information about a sport lists with qualified athletes (is not up to date for all sports).

I don't think the BOCOG is going to create a masterlist with all 302 events and the countries and athletes. For each event they will.

July 23 is the entry by name datum, so at that day all athletes have to be named to BOCOG by the NOCs.

I don't know if Iraq is now allowed to take part. There are 205 NOC's, 204 are participating for sure. That's because all countries without qualified athleted are allowed to send one male and one female athletics athlete and one male and one female athlete in swimming.

Thanks TB. I was unaware of that last rule. I have been able to find many of the qualifiers in different sports on Wikipedia and even NBC.COM lists each nations best shot at a medal IF they have any shot. Guess I'll keep on combing for the small countries.

I know it may sound like a weird quest, but to me one of the great things about the Olympics is that everyone has a shot and I'd like to see some of these countries compete in events and not just parading in the opening ceremony.

By the way, you bether not miss archery: its the only sport in which you can see Bhutan, and that for the seventh Olympics in a row.

Oh, and if you are really serious about watching every country compete, be prepare to see a LOT of prelims...

By the way, you bether not miss archery: its the only sport in which you can see Bhutan, and that for the seventh Olympics in a row.

Oh, and if you are really serious about watching every country compete, be prepare to see a LOT of prelims...

AHH see now thats the kind of info I need -- I 'll mark Bhutan down for 1st round of Archery. As for Pre-lims I hear ya. I expect many countries olpics may lat less than a minute :o

AJ

Here, I will make some suggestion as to which events to watch to see some countries:

Archery: since you already have to watch it for Bhutan, its also your chance to mark down Myanmar and Iraq if you watch the men's competition or Mauritius and Tajikistan if you watch the women's competition. Watching the women competition will also let you see a sportswomen from Iran (rare sight indeed...).

Badminton: Seychelles is in the mixed doubles draw.

Basketball: Since you are from the US, I would recommend watching the Angola - USA game in the men's competition (your second best chance to see Angola is in women's Handball).

Boxing: So many countries its impossible to name them all.

Canoing (Slalom): Togo and Macedonia in the men's K1, Andorra in the women's K1.

Canoing (Flatwater): Senegal and Samoa in the men's K1 1000m, Guam in the men's C1 1000m.

Cycling: Estonia in the men's match sprint, Moldova in the men's individual pursuit, El Salvador in the women's pursuit, Ecuador in men's BMX

Fencing: Burkina Faso in the men's sabre (also an alternative place to see Senegal), Panama in the women's épée, Peru in women's sabre.

Football: the men's Football tournament should be the best to see Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire and Honduras. The women's tournament is also a good place to see North Korea.

List to be finished later.

Here, I will make some suggestion as to which events to watch to see some countries:

List to be finished later.

WoW great stuff. I knew about Angola abn the Seyschells and had watched the peruvian in The Pan Ams but Sadly I know little of these others. Keep em comming Fox

And don't worry about which sport I love to watch them all -- even Dressage! :blink:

Oh Who I am kidding -- I actually LOVE Dressage

AJ

Well, I am trying to limit the mass starts (otherwise I would have mentioned the five riders from Luxembourg in the cycling mass start).

Continuation:

Gymnastic: Yemen in men's artistic gymnastic, Vietnam in women's artistic gymnastic, Cap Verde in the individual rhythmic gymnastic (another chance to see Estonia).

Handball: Iceland in the men's competition.

Field Hockey: Pakistan in the men's competition.

Judo: Madagascar and Armenia in the men's -60kg, Turkmenistan in the men's 60-66kg, Congo DR and another chance to see Tajikistan and Moldova in the men's 66-73kg, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Libya in the men's 90-100kg, Haiti in the men's +100kg, India in the women's -48kg, the Dominican Republic in the 48-52kg, Fiji in the women's 63-70kg, Kyrgyzstan in the women's 70-78kg.

Modern Pentathlon: Guatemala in the women's competition

Rowing: India, Honduras and Monaco in the men's single scull, Iraq in the men's double scull, Myanmar and El Salvador in the women's single scull.

Shooting: Bolivia in men's trap, Malta and the United Arab Emirates in men's double trap, Cyprus, Estonia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Peru and Guatemala in men's Skeet, San Marino and Namibia in women's trap.

Table Tennis: Congo and Paraguay in men's single, Vanuatu, Luxembourg and Congo in women's single.

Taekwondo: Afghanistan and Belize in men's -58kg, Libya and Afghanistan in men's -68kg, Gabon, Nepal, Honduras and the Marshal Islands in men's -80kg, Costa Rica and Mali in men's +80kg, Papua New Guinea in women's -49kg, Niger in women's -57kg.

Tennis: Liechtenstein in women's single

Water Polo: Montenegro in men's water polo

Weightlifting and Wrestling: TBA for Weightlifting, various for wrestling (you should go check for yourself for that one).

Anyway, hopes it helps a little bit.

East Timor will send only two marathoners--Antonio Ramos in the men's marathon and Mariana Diaz Ximenez in the women's--to compete in Beijing. Its NOC president, Joao Carrascallo, says the tiny Portuguese-speaking island nation obviously lacks the infrastructure and the facilities to send more and participate in more sports, which is not a priority for the government at this stage.

Anyway, hopes it helps a little bit.

Helped a lot -- I'm down to 26 nations without any events. My guess is most did not qualify anyone and will use the 2 athletic 2 swimmer rule. My guess is most will be in 50 m Swimming... Here is what I haven't found yet. Anyone know where these countries will compete?

Antigua and Barbuda Cook Is. Mauritania

Barbados Djibouti Saint Vincent

British Virgin Islands Dominica Sao Tome and Principe

Brunei Darussalam Eritrea Sierra Leone

Burundi Kiribati Solomon Islands

Cayman Islands Laos Somolia

Central African Rep Lesotho Surinam

Chad Liberia Tuvalu

Comoros Maldives

AJ

Just recently, though, the Iraqi Football Federation and the Iraq NOC were suspended over some issue or the other (I wasn't paying too much attention). The FIFA ban was lifted, I'm not sure what happened with the IOC one, or if it affects their participation or not.

According to this AFP report from today, the Iraqi athletes will compete, but under the Olympic Flag:

War-torn Iraq is sending a team of six athletes under the Olympic flag in lieu of their own after a spat with the International Olympic Committee last month led to the suspension of Iraq's Olympic committee.

Source: AFP: Minnows dream of hogging Olympic limelight

But I was unable to find a report from the time when that decision was made. Why doesn't the Olympic "fate" of a very prominent country like Iraq create more publicity? <_<

(otherwise I would have mentioned the five riders from Luxembourg in the cycling mass start).

Luxembourgh only has 3 qualified athletes in Men's Road Race, they only have 3 riders in the UCI Tour and thats all they can send to Beijing even though their ranking has them at 5.

Helped a lot -- I'm down to 26 nations without any events. My guess is most did not qualify anyone and will use the 2 athletic 2 swimmer rule. My guess is most will be in 50 m Swimming... Here is what I haven't found yet. Anyone know where these countries will compete?

Chad Liberia Tuvalu

Comoros Maldives

AJ

Antigua and Barbuda: Athletics and Equestrian

Barbados: Athletics and Swimming

British Virgin Islands: Athletics

Brunei: Athletics and Shooting

Burundi: Athletics

Cayman Islands: Athletics and Swimming

Dominica: Athletics

Eritrea: Athletics

Lesotho: Athletics

Suriname: Swimming

Chad Liberia Tuvalu

Comoros Maldives

AJ

Oh God, please. I hope you don't get obsessed with these nations and then come back here and kvetch that NBC didn't feature these nations or give them unparalleled coverage. :rolleyes: These are the 'spoiler nations' -- and if ever they'll get a story, it'll be as an oddity angle, nothing more.

Oh God, please. I hope you don't get obsessed with these nations and then come back here and kvetch that NBC didn't feature these nations or give them unparalleled coverage. :rolleyes: These are the 'spoiler nations' -- and if ever they'll get a story, it'll be as an oddity angle, nothing more.

how about Republic of Waziristan?

Obssesed? no... well maybe a little :( I just can't resist the challenge of trying to watch all of them. On the other hand, if it they get more coverage than showingthem in the 100 M I'd be shocked. I'm not looking for an up close and personal on a Djibuti athelete in prime time, just 11 or 12 or 13 :blink: seconds of them competing online.

AJ

how about Republic of Waziristan?

We do not join such plebian events as the Olympics. Those are only for parvenu nations. They have asked many times, but we refuse. We will participate only when Greece cedes the opening position to us...and our athletes can sit down in the Tribune of Honor.

We do not join such plebian events as the Olympics. Those are only for parvenu nations. They have asked many times, but we refuse. We will participate only when Greece cedes the opening position to us...and our athletes can sit down in the Tribune of Honor.

Plebian? Mixing cultures there baron, I wouldn't want the Greeks to see such wording.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck with the adventure!

Eritrea will surely be in he 10,000 meters of Athletics or if not, in the 5,000.

Tuvalu in 69 kg female weightlifting and Kiribai in he 75 kg male, Solomon in the 58 female.

So your list is now down to:

Brunei Darussalam Sierra Leone

Burundi

Chad Liberia

Comoros Maldives

Obssesed? no... well maybe a little :( I just can't resist the challenge of trying to watch all of them. On the other hand, if it they get more coverage than showingthem in the 100 M I'd be shocked. I'm not looking for an up close and personal on a Djibuti athelete in prime time, just 11 or 12 or 13 :blink: seconds of them competing online.

AJ

How about getting that 13 seconds on disc and making an hour long DVD i would pay $10 for it

I also have one challenge, which is to record every second possible of the Mexican athletes (only 85, but no teams) and every single final of every sport, at least the medals (for example, the top 3 in weightlifting divisions). I don't know if anything of sailing will be shown, though ^_^