What Are Your Key Events To Watch?

What will be the events you are definitely going to or at least try to catch during the upcoming Olympic games (competition starts in just 31 days!)? Here's what I will be trying to watch, and hopefully catch the majority of thanks to a combination of NBC/USA and NBCOlympics.com:

Archery - Women's Team USA

Baseball - Team USA

Badminton - Women's Doubles

Badminton - Women's Singles

Basektball - Women's Team USA

Basketball - Men's Team USA

Beach Volleyball - Women's (All)

Cycling - Men's and Women's BMX

Equestrian - Jumping

Field Hockey - Women's Team USA

Gymnastics - Women's Team Competition

Judo - Select Women's Matches

Modern Penthalon - Women's

Rythmic Gymnastics

Shooting - Women's All

Soccer - Women's Team USA

Softball - Women's Team USA

Swimming - Women's (Finals Only)

Swimming - 10k Open Water Swim

Synchronized Swimming (All)

Table Tennis - Women's Singles

Table Tennis - Women's Doubles

Tennis - Women's Singles

Tennis - Women's Doubles

Track & Field - Women's Track (400m, 800m, 1500m, 5000m, 10000m, Relays, Hurdles)

Track & Field - Men's Track (800m, 1500m, 5000m, 10000m, Relays, Hurdles)

Track & Field - Race Walks

Track & Field - 3000m Steeplechase

Track & Field - Women's Field (All)

Trampoline - Women's

Volleyball - Women's Team USA

Water Polo - Women's Team USA

Wrestling - Women's 48kg

How about you?

Sailing and dressage try my patience a bit, but I'll watching any and everything that I can. If I had to rank the five sports that I'm most excited about, I'd say (1) swimming, (2) track & field, (3) basketball, (4) gymnastics, (5) indoor volleyball. Some other personal favorites are rowing, water polo and handball.

I'm actually kind of excited about baseball, too. It'll be interesting to see how the USA rebounds from missing the '04 Olympics and one of the Orioles' (my favorite team's) top pitching prospects, Jake Arrieta, will likely be one of the top players on the team.

If I have the time, I will try to watch all swimming events (although the finals will take place in the middle of the night, according to Central European Time), athletics, canoeing and rowing (traditional German strongholds), the women's football tournament, handball, the equestrian events and a little bit of hockey. Actually no specific events -- maybe besides the horizontal bar event in gymnastics where World Champion Fabian Hambüchen will compete for the gold medal.

But it really sucks big time that I'll probably have to spend the opening and the closing weekend of the Games with attending a wedding. The closing weekend is for certain, the opening weekend still in doubt. That probably shows that still too few people care about the Olympics. Who can seriously schedule one's wedding during the most important sports event in the world? :blink: But we're in Germany, where probably only a wedding during the World Cup or the EURO is a taboo. So I maybe shouldn't complain. ;)

I know I'm going to miss the first night of Swimming and possibly a full day of competition some time the first week. I shouldn't be complaining though, I'll still be on vacation for the entire 2 weeks and 2 days, with nothing else to do but stay home and whore-out every event I can, day and night! Though Swimming, Diving, Athletics, Artistic Gymnastics, and Tennis are the sports to watch for me.

But it really sucks big time that I'll probably have to spend the opening and the closing weekend of the Games with attending a wedding. The closing weekend is for certain, the opening weekend still in doubt.

The wedding is in doubt or you attending is in doubt? If its the wedding in doubt then prob not worth going as it wont last :)

To me, I would choose the men's swimming events, especially the ones that Michael Phelps are confirmed to be in. You see, if he does win that many Olympic gold medals, as some commentators are saying, he will be the most decorated in Olympic history that may not be matched for many future Olympiads to come. That is and at least, in terms of the gold medal category. The bigger question would be whether Phelps would want to go to London 2012 or not.

Edited by Guardian

The wedding is in doubt or you attending is in doubt? If its the wedding in doubt then prob not worth going as it wont last :)

No, only my attendance is in doubt -- it's my cousin who plans that wedding on the opening weekend, and we had some serious quarrels with that part of the family in the past. So that needs to be settled first before we (my family and I) make any step towards that wedding.

My focus will be on the hockey-tournament. The Netherlands is participating in the men's and women's competition and both teams can win a medal.

The Netherlands will also have medal-chances in judo, equestrian (jumping, dressage and eventing), swimming, baseball, softball, waterpolo for women, athletics (shot put men, discus trow men and steeple for men), beach volleybal for men, track and road cycling, men's football and sailing.

In gymnastics we have a former world champion and this years worl cup winner, but he is not qualified because we don't have a team at the Games. Yuri van Gelder is the best men on the rings. But he is at home... I don't see medal chances for both Dutch athletes in gymnastics: Epke Zonderland (men, horizontal bar) and Suzanne harmes (allround)).

So I have enough to watch!

The bigger question would be whether Phelps would want to go to London 2012 or not.

They talked about just that last night on Olympic Trials coverage. Phelps says he'll stop swimming when he hits 30 years of age. So he says London will be his last Olympics (he'll be 27 at the time). Though I wonder if a possible Games in the US, Chicago 2016, will make him keep going.

anything that CBC, TSN and the other networks show. I will make an effort to watch rowing and canoe/kayaking finals but unfortunately i might be working during the time. Because they will be on between 10pm and 1am my time. I will get the full schedule in a couple weeks of broadcasting here. I will watch as much as I can but will not get to see a lot unfortunately.

This is my first Olympics, and may be my only one in life, so I'm going all out and want to see/experience so much. I've got as my priority tickets: swimming, diving, athletics, M/W gymnastics, M/W basketball, W football, beach volleyball, water polo, canoe/slalom, rowing. Also have tickets for archery, canoe flatwater, volleyball, handball, rhythmic gym, hockey, baseball, boxing. So with multiple events on most days, I'll be exhausted, but at least I live here and won't have to fit in sightseeing (which is even more exhausting than spectating sports).

Faster, I'm from the USA. I've gotta believe that in that big team we are sending and all those sports I'm watching, there's got to be a medal or two somewhere in there! However, I love to watch a good competition in most anything--I'm even keen to give handball a try, and the USA didn't even qualify teams for that--it just looks like a sport that I would have enjoyed playing (well, in my younger days at least). The only things I probably wouldn't be up for watching are dressage, sync swimming, wrestling, and weightlifting, and I'm not big on judo either (but taekwondo is OK).

From a Canadian POW the following events are important:

Athletics

August 19th - Women's 100m Hurdles

August 19th - Men's 1500m (Personal, a relative is a competitor)

August 21st - Men's 400m

August 23rd - Men's 800m

Canoe/Kayaking

August 22nd - Men's K-1 1000m

August 23rd - Men's K-1 500m

Diving

August 12th - Women's 10m Synchronized Diving

August 13th - Men's 3m Synchronized Diving

August 17th - Women's 3m Springboard Final

August 19th - Men's 3m Springboard Final

August 21st - Women's 10m Platform Final

Equestrian

August 18th - Team Jumping Final

August 21 - Individual Jumping Final

Gymnastics

August 17th - Men's Floor

August 18th - Women's Uneven Bars

August 18th - Men's Vaut

August 18th - Women's Trampoline

August 19th - Women's Beam

Rowing

August 16th - Women's Pairs

August 17th - Women's Lightweight Double Sculls

August 17th - Men's Lightweight Fours

August 17th - Women's Quadruple Sculls

August 17th - Women's 8's

August 17th - Men's 8's (Canada is current world champion which means no Gold medal)

Cycling

August 21st - Women's BMX

August 22nd - Women's Cross Country

Swimming

August 13th - Men's 4x200m Relay

August 14th - Men's 100m