Dinner On August 8?

If you're a GB'er who's going to be in Beijing on August 8 and is interested in dinner beforehand, let me know either on this thread or by email in my profile. Not PM, please. I'm getting together a small international group of expat friends here, and we're happy to have visitors who have no other plans. However, anyone jumping on my bandwagon will have to trust my choice of restaurant, which will be centrally located. I'm a pretty good restaurant picker and it will be one of reasonable cost, not a hoity-toity one nor a "dress up" place. :) Participants will get instructions on how to get to restaurant location, not to worry. There's a practical limit to group size, so if this gets oversubscribed, I'll take people in chronological order of commitment.

I expect that any semi-decent restaurant or better will be booked solid for dinner, as not only is it Ceremonies night, but many couples will be getting married on this most auspicious of days, and will be having wedding banquets. I'm going to start asking around, but I expect to have to make some sort of booking within the next 10 days, estimating a number as best I can. For any of you who know Beijing, my initial thoughts are Dadong Roast Duck (location near East 2nd Ring Road) and Xiheyaju (Ritan Park area). Could end up being somewhere else, though. You can expect it to be Chinese, with multiple dishes served "family style." Dinner will need to be early, about 17:30, in order to get finished and get to one's selected live-site (for Ceremonies watching. I'm going to attempt to pick a restaurant that is in reasonable proximity to at least one good live site--of course, everyone is free to go where they wish.

For those of you who have a ticket to the Opening Ceremony, I sadly advise you to give this offer a miss. Based on an 20:00 start time and the time it will take to get 90,000 people through security queues, I suggest you get to those queues by 18:30, allowing plenty of time for your chosen mode of transportation. (P.S. Eat a good meal midafternoon, as the Birds Nest concession snacks leave something to be desired.)

Of course, this does not preclude having other GB get-togethers/happy hours, etc. on other days.

Excellent. CP, I'll assume you're a party of one? As for Dadong, one thing I like about them is that besides great duck (not the greasy stuff people love to hate), their other regular Chinese dishes are pretty competent as well. Any others?

I was hoping to be able to come along - but I got an invite to the Samsung party in Beijing that night. Sadly it isnt at the Olympic Stadium. All I know is that it is at an 'exclusive marquee set in the grounds of one of Beijing's architectural wonders'. I am guessing Temple Of Heaven/Tiantin Park?? Either way it'll have huge screens, tons of alchohol and top notch food. If I can score anymore invites I'll PM you guys.

That's a good and great idea !

Unfortunately i think i could not be one of yours as i will met some French and Australian Friends working or visiting overthere.

But i am interested in having some feedbacks on some good live site !

For those attending the Opening Ceremony, yes (based on my Athens' experience), you should arrive around 2 hours before the ceremony. It will be easier for the security, to get a bottle of water for the show to buy your first olympic souvenirs and to enjoy the pre-show....

If you're a GB'er who's going to be in Beijing on August 8 and is interested in dinner beforehand, let me know either on this thread or by email in my profile. Not PM, please. I'm getting together a small international group of expat friends here, and we're happy to have visitors who have no other plans. However, anyone jumping on my bandwagon will have to trust my choice of restaurant, which will be centrally located. I'm a pretty good restaurant picker and it will be one of reasonable cost, not a hoity-toity one nor a "dress up" place. :) Participants will get instructions on how to get to restaurant location, not to worry. There's a practical limit to group size, so if this gets oversubscribed, I'll take people in chronological order of commitment.

I expect that any semi-decent restaurant or better will be booked solid for dinner, as not only is it Ceremonies night, but many couples will be getting married on this most auspicious of days, and will be having wedding banquets. I'm going to start asking around, but I expect to have to make some sort of booking within the next 10 days, estimating a number as best I can. For any of you who know Beijing, my initial thoughts are Dadong Roast Duck (location near East 2nd Ring Road) and Xiheyaju (Ritan Park area). Could end up being somewhere else, though. You can expect it to be Chinese, with multiple dishes served "family style." Dinner will need to be early, about 17:30, in order to get finished and get to one's selected live-site (for Ceremonies watching. I'm going to attempt to pick a restaurant that is in reasonable proximity to at least one good live site--of course, everyone is free to go where they wish.

For those of you who have a ticket to the Opening Ceremony, I sadly advise you to give this offer a miss. Based on an 20:00 start time and the time it will take to get 90,000 people through security queues, I suggest you get to those queues by 18:30, allowing plenty of time for your chosen mode of transportation. (P.S. Eat a good meal midafternoon, as the Birds Nest concession snacks leave something to be desired.)

Of course, this does not preclude having other GB get-togethers/happy hours, etc. on other days.

Sorry, I won't be able to join.

I am working in Hong-Kong for the first few days of the Games before going back to Beijing, so I expect to watch the Opening Ceremony from HK Olympic Village!

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like a fine idea. I'm there! (if it isn't too late to add one more).

I've got you down, along with Chateau and maybe Torch. Working with some other expats on arrangements. Will put details out a a bit later.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner buddies for August 8: make sure you have my email jiejiebigsis(at)yahoo(dot)com and contact me ASAP (email please, not Gamesbids PM) with where you are going to be staying, when you will arrive. Put "GB Dinner" in the email subject header to flag it for my priority attention. I'll send back my local Beijing mobile phone number and details/directions. Help to get from point A to point B is available if you need it.

Cheers. See you in Beijing!

Dinner buddies for August 8: make sure you have my email jiejiebigsis(at)yahoo(dot)com and contact me ASAP (email please, not Gamesbids PM) with where you are going to be staying, when you will arrive. Put "GB Dinner" in the email subject header to flag it for my priority attention. I'll send back my local Beijing mobile phone number and details/directions. Help to get from point A to point B is available if you need it.

Cheers. See you in Beijing!

Someone had better take a picture of this event and post. Should be fun, sorry I'll be missing it.