2008-2009 Isu Figure Skating Season

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the entries page for Los Angeles 2009:

LA Worlds 2009

A few interesting omissions and additions...

Schoenfelder-Delobel AREN'T on there. I guess his shoulder injury still has not healed.

Daisuke Takahashi, the Japanese men's champ from last year, isn't on there. (SHould be good for the US men.)

There are Singles entries for both Mens and Ladies from the Philippines. (Of course they are probably Fil-Ams.)

Worlds 2009 Results:

Pairs

1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER

2 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN

3 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS

Canada's Jessice Dube and Bryce Davison finished 7th. Canada will be sending 2 pairs team at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

It's not a sport I've really watched much before but I caught a bit of it (about half an hour) late last night on BBC and some of it's really amazing - the strength and skill that some of these pairs display is great.

Been staying up late the last two nights watching. Paris was looooong. Over four hours, watching 20 pairs. Last night, started at 8:25 PM EST and went till I think a bit after 1:00 AM. They should cut it down somehow.

Is it true that NBC chose not to broadcast the Worlds live? Surprising, considering the event is being staged in LA and also that Evan and Belbin & Agosto have done so well.

I was also surprised to see so many empty seats at the Staples arena. The lower bowl looks reasonably full, but everything above it not so.

I guess Figure Skating isn't as popular in North America as it once used to be. How times have changed. In 1994 wasn't the Ladies Olympic final the third most watched television event in US TV history? (Kerrigan Vs Harding)

Is it true that NBC chose not to broadcast the Worlds live? Surprising, considering the event is being staged in LA and also that Evan and Belbin & Agosto have done so well.

I was also surprised to see so many empty seats at the Staples arena. The lower bowl looks reasonably full, but everything above it not so.

I guess Figure Skating isn't as popular in North America as it once used to be. How times have changed. In 1994 wasn't the Ladies Olympic final the third most watched television event in US TV history? (Kerrigan Vs Harding)

I think they may show the Ice Dancing tonight. Because of the dominance of American singles women in the past, their final competition was always broadcast live for Saturday nights. I believe that might be the case. I almost went last night -- but I was in the opposite side of town...and I had to pick up an aunt in north Orange county too...so no go. Am still keeping my option open for the Sunday exhibition -- altho we could just as well see that on TV.

Staples isn't full also because of the economy. If I was working, I would treat my mom and her sister to this w/o a thought. But aside from them being elderly and cannot endure long drives AND walks (they live a little over an hour south of LA), so....

It's not a sport I've really watched much before but I caught a bit of it (about half an hour) late last night on BBC and some of it's really amazing - the strength and skill that some of these pairs display is great.

Yeah...compare that to weighlifting where those brutes just throw down their 'partner' (the weights) to the floor cavalierly. And watch how the pairs deal with dropping the other one -- and then you'll know this is a legitimate sport.

NBC has been broadcasting the entire competition live on their Universal Sports channel website http://www.universalsports.com

The reason why it's not being shown live on the Universal Sports television channel is because, instead, it is being broadcast live on NBC's Oxygen channel, late at night Eastern and Central time and delayed in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. NBC will air the Women's competition live on on Saturday night, from 9-11 PM Eastern/8-10 PM Central, delayed for the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

Ice Dance Results:

1 Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN RUS

2 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA

3 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN

Canada will have 2 ice dance teams to Vancouver while USA and Russia will both have 3. Ladies free skate tom.

Ice Dance Results:

1 Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN RUS

2 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA

3 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN

Canada will have 2 ice dance teams to Vancouver while USA and Russia will both have 3. Ladies free skate tom.

@olympian:

Would you me a favour and explain me the system of the qualification for the Olympics next year? As far i know Germany will send 2 pairs and 1 dance pair so far to Vancouver. I have also learned, that the last possibility to qualify will be in September at the Nebelhorn-Trophy in Oberstdorf.

Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY have defended their title. Now the experts on TV expect them to win gold in Vancouver. Well, we will see. But they dont get much attention and sponsorship here in Germany. The times, when Germans watched this sport are long gone.

if a nations combined placement is 13 or lower a nation will be able to send 3 skaters(male/female)/pairs/ice dancers. if its higher than 13 only 2. if a country get a skater to finish in the top 24 a nation is guaranteed 1 spot in vancouver. for the nebelhorn trophy event, if a nation failed to get a skater to finish in the top 24 only. condition there i think is a skater from a non-qualifying nation must finish in the top 6 in order to get a slot in vancouver.

goethe: to add, it wasn't clear above, if a skater from a certain nation failed to finish in the top 24, that's when they would have to go to nebelhorn to attempt to qualify and must finish in the top 6.

goethe: to add, it wasn't clear above, if a skater from a certain nation failed to finish in the top 24, that's when they would have to go to nebelhorn to attempt to qualify and must finish in the top 6.

Thank you very much! So Annette Dytrt has qualified for Vancouver? She will be 18th. Is it enough?

Thank you very much! So Annette Dytrt has qualified for Vancouver? She will be 18th. Is it enough?

not annette, but germany already qualified 1 female skater for vancouver and could not go to nebelhorn for more slots.

not annette, but germany already qualified 1 female skater for vancouver and could not go to nebelhorn for more slots.

Thank you again. It will be Dytrt as long as she does not get injured. So only Liebers, Lindesmann or any other German skater has to participate in Oberstdorf.

Archived