2008-2009 Isu Figure Skating Season

The 2008-2009 ISU Figure Skating Season is the most crucial one as this year's World Championships in Los Angeles will determine the respective Olympic slots for Vancouver.

here are theGrand Prix schedules this season

Skate America, 23-26 October, Everett, WA

Skate Canada International, 31 October - 02 November, Ottawa, ON

Cup of China, 06-09 November, Beijing

Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, 13-16 November, Paris

Cup of Russia, 20-23 November, Moscow

NHK Trophy, 27-30 November, Tokyo

ISU Grand Prix Final, 10-14 December, Seoul (combined junior & senior)

Important Competitions

ISU European Figure Skating Championships - 19-25 January, Helsinki

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships - 2-8 February, Vancouver, BC

ISU Junior World Figure Skating Championships - 23 February - 01 March, Ostrava, Czech Rep.

ISU World Figure Skating Championships - 23-29 March, Los Angeles, CA

The U.S. National Figure Skating Championships is set for Cleveland, Ohio while the BMO Canadian Nationals will be in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Here are the skaters Grand Prix assignments:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/content/...ws-item,00.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2008-2009 ISU Figure Skating Season is the most crucial one as this year's World Championships in Los Angeles will determine the respective Olympic slots for Vancouver.

here are theGrand Prix schedules this season

Skate America, 23-26 October, Everett, WA

Skate Canada International, 31 October - 02 November, Ottawa, ON

Cup of China, 06-09 November, Beijing

Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, 13-16 November, Paris

Cup of Russia, 20-23 November, Moscow

NHK Trophy, 27-30 November, Tokyo

ISU Grand Prix Final, 10-14 December, Seoul (combined junior & senior)

Important Competitions

ISU European Figure Skating Championships - 19-25 January, Helsinki

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships - 2-8 February, Vancouver, BC

ISU Junior World Figure Skating Championships - 23 February - 01 March, Ostrava, Czech Rep.

ISU World Figure Skating Championships - 23-29 March, Los Angeles, CA

The U.S. National Figure Skating Championships is set for Cleveland, Ohio while the BMO Canadian Nationals will be in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Here are the skaters Grand Prix assignments:

Hmmmmm. Really heavy on the Asian cities and coastal cities of No. America. It looks like only Paris, Helsinki and Moscow will be the 3 major Euro competitions. But in the US, there will be Everett and Cleveland as major interior FS events for the season.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys, just read an ISU communication dated June 22, 2008 and it states that the 2011 World Figure Skating Championships has been provisionally assigned to the city of ..... NAGANO. it'll be their second hosting and first since 2002. Torino is hosting 2010. The dates for the 2011 championships is provisionally set for 21 - 27 March 2011. The European Championships is provisionally assigned to Bern, Switzerland.

Here's the link.

Nagano again? :o

Oh, well. From where I live, I should not complain because Ottawa had that honor twice in a "very short span of time" before. For once, I would like to see some "exotic locale" to get the chance to host it. We almost had it in 2000, when Australia got the initial nod. However, it went to France instead for some ridiculous reason.

Nagano again? :o

Oh, well. From where I live, I should not complain because Ottawa had that honor twice in a "very short span of time" before. For once, I would like to see some "exotic locale" to get the chance to host it. We almost had it in 2000, when Australia got the initial nod. However, it went to France instead for some ridiculous reason.

question this time re: Nagano's 2011 hosting is will the competition be at White Ring (1998 Olympic Figure Skating venue) or M-Wave (speed skating venue and 2002 Worlds venue)?

i would want to see Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai or even St. Petersburg be given a chance to host Worlds. if Australia, Melbourne or Sydney. too bad for the planned Brisbane Worlds in 2000 which was eventually re-assigned to Nice, France and they hosted a great championships.

i would want to see Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai or even St. Petersburg be given a chance to host Worlds.

Didn't St. Petersburg host the 1995 Worlds -- since that was the Centennary of the ISU?

Yeah, I am sure Seoul and Beijing will soon be gunning for a Worlds, especially after they have done a Grand Prix event or 2.

I was in Gothenburg for the Worlds this year. It wasn't far to travel to from the UK and the tickets were more than affordable. Had a blast.

However, when I looked at price of whole events tickets for LA2009, I was astounded at the cost. :blink: Almost double the price for similar seats I had in Gothenburg.

I'm going to wait for the Worlds to come back to Turin in 2010. :D

I was in Gothenburg for the Worlds this year. It wasn't far to travel to from the UK and the tickets were more than affordable. Had a blast.

However, when I looked at price of whole events tickets for LA2009, I was astounded at the cost. :blink: Almost double the price for similar seats I had in Gothenburg.

I'm going to wait for the Worlds to come back to Turin in 2010. :D

U looked at the whole event tickets. They're doing that because the Staples Center is so huge that they want to lock in as many groupies as they can. I am sure you can buy individual events at a lot more reasonable prices. That place is HUGE.

As for a Worlds in an Olympic year, those are always 2nd rate. Sometimes, the gold winners from the Os skip the Worlds that year. Y risk getting a silver when u already have the BIGGER gold?

Didn't St. Petersburg host the 1995 Worlds -- since that was the Centennary of the ISU?

Yeah, I am sure Seoul and Beijing will soon be gunning for a Worlds, especially after they have done a Grand Prix event or 2.

Worlds 95 was in Birmingham, England. St. Petersburg hosted Centennial on Ice in 1996. they've been host to Cup of Russia a few times and the Grand Prix Final.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CBC just had a little news blip that London, Ontario, will host the Canadian figure skating championships, just one month before Vancouver 2010.

• 3 weeks later...
OMG! Jeffrey Buttle just announced his retirement.

Lambiel too (the Swiss guy) just announced his retirement from competitive skating.

So that just leaves Brian Joubert, Evan Lysacek, the Japanese fella (Daisuke); and if he's spot-on on a certain night, maybe Johnny Weird.

Archived