A Few Gm Place Renos...

Some minor renos are being undertaken at GM Place before the start of the next hockey season, as per the Canucks Ticket Renewal Package, notably...

- Removal of the Brewery equipment on Level 100, 300 and the Brewhouse Grill Restaurant (Grill) and using the areas for concession stands and additional grill tables to provide more food options and access (I suspect this was partly due to its function as a big ad for Rickards, and we all know you can't have sponsor presence at Olympic venues... VANOC has bought out every single GM Place advertising contract)

- Replacing the glass rink board system to an acrylic system used by the majority of NHL teams. The flexibility of the new system, and in particular the amount of give in the acrylic panes, will improve player safety, support injury prevention and magnify the strength and power of NHL players through contact along the boards

- Upgrading our player dressing room (phase 1) which will expand the player's lounge and changing room areas recognizing that a first class dressing room is an important fact when attracting players.

This is in addition to the renovation of the suite level, which will see the press box removed and replaced by more suites. The press box will move to an expanded Gondola on Level 400. The first level of parking will also be renovated and become player dressing rooms, as IOC rules dictate each of the 8 national ice hockey teams have their own dressing room. I don't know if the Canucks dressing room will be used during the Games, though I suspect it won't (as it's the nicest dressing room in the building already pre-ronvation... I suspect they'll want to keep it fairly standardized, and use the existing three dressing rooms and five new ones).

• 4 weeks later...