Beijing 2008 Websites

• 2 weeks later...

Does someone know when BOCOG will open its events' website ??? With real information about venues, olympic transport plan, athletes, ...

Does someone know when BOCOG will open its events' website ??? With real information about venues, olympic transport plan, athletes, ...

Soon I hope their current website is terrible to navigate!

• 2 weeks later...
It's always used the lucky cloud design (at least since the last update), it's just used more now. Again, I can't say I'm crazy about those gradients or the whole website for that matter.

Well,either the mascots or the lucky clouds would become the major elements of it. The whole look turns out to be a cartoon campaign.

Well,either the mascots or the lucky clouds would become the major elements of it. The whole look turns out to be a cartoon campaign.

I like the lucky cloud design, it's just those gradients that at times make everything look kind of childish and produce ugly "in between" colors. I'd prefer they stuck to one color (like the top bar of this page) instead of mix matching things.

I like the lucky cloud design, it's just those gradients that at times make everything look kind of childish and produce ugly "in between" colors. I'd prefer they stuck to one color (like the top bar of this page) instead of mix matching things.

Personally I more prefer the current look they put out. Without the eyesore of FUWA, I just thinking that's a breakthrough lead out more comparable with London 2012 rather than the past games.

i like the lucky cloud pattren also very much but and dont get me wrong this is not a breakthrough design. Using a single pattern on gradient backrounds is nothing new. Athens had already o look of the games with 10 different patterns and a palette of 20 colours. This without counting the look of the banners with the pictogramms. Please dont get me wrong but this is a very nice look of the games but surely upgradable. But i am sure this will happen as we have not see the banners hanging on the venues yet

As for the gradients:

I think this is a nice idea. Perhaps they need more and more specific combinations: like "Green theme", "Fire theme" etc. I suppose this is a generic banner:

08new_leftnav_bg.jpg

I like the idea of "From the blue water, over the green of the land to the orange of the sun"...

i like the lucky cloud pattren also very much but and dont get me wrong this is not a breakthrough design. Using a single pattern on gradient backrounds is nothing new. Athens had already o look of the games with 10 different patterns and a palette of 20 colours. This without counting the look of the banners with the pictogramms. Please dont get me wrong but this is a very nice look of the games but surely upgradable. But i am sure this will happen as we have not see the banners hanging on the venues yet

I loved Athens’ Look as well, I think it was wonderful. However, I do remember reading somewhere that athletes competing in events like Gymnastics, Trampoline, Diving, etc. complained that all those different colors and patterns distracted them at times and could have caused them to make a mistake. That’s why I always wanted Beijing to have a “one pattern and color per venue” plan for its Look, with the patterns based on the different elements and the colors being the ‘core colors’ Beijing highlights in the Image and Look section of its website.

I loved Athens’ Look as well, I think it was wonderful. However, I do remember reading somewhere that athletes competing in events like Gymnastics, Trampoline, Diving, etc. complained that all those different colors and patterns distracted them at times and could have caused them to make a mistake. That’s why I always wanted Beijing to have a “one pattern and color per venue” plan for its Look, with the patterns based on the different elements and the colors being the ‘core colors’ Beijing highlights in the Image and Look section of its website.

WELL, you'll be disappointed

487cb87e392e1.jpg

saw the rainbow-like banner, that's what it is

About the website beijing2008.com

I think it is slow. It takes a long time to load. And it is not my connection, I tested several sites.

Why is the competition schedule not completed with the teams playing. Still you just get the dates and the times, not the teams. And I miss a day-by-day scheldule. Is this information being placed later when all the qualification is been done?

About the website beijing2008.com

I think it is slow. It takes a long time to load. And it is not my connection, I tested several sites.

Why is the competition schedule not completed with the teams playing. Still you just get the dates and the times, not the teams. And I miss a day-by-day scheldule. Is this information being placed later when all the qualification is been done?

That is probably what disappoints me most. The only place to find a detailed schedule is on the ticketing website.

Same here with respect to the lack of schedule. I've actually found Wikipedia to be a good source of schedules/teams playing for many of the events (Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Football, Volleyball, Water Polo, Handball)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics

Scroll down to 'Calendar' and click on any of the events on the left column. The page is usually called INSERTSPORTHERE_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics

Well, they made a few cosmetic changes (i.e. a neater layout), but the content has the same serious flaws as before. It's ridiculous that Beijing was able to finish all its venues early before the Games, but with only 23 days to go, there's still no complete competition schedule on its website. And it's even more amateurish that on the schedule page, you now have to download Excel files if you want to have more detailed schedules for each sport. Not to mention that those Excel schedules don't provide all basic information about the events either... :rolleyes: